User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets talk about drones

As my signature states we are committed boondockers. With as large as our momentum is, we have to be careful about going down just any dirt road. We have several sites that we like to camp in, that if they were occupied when we arrived would leave us in a bad stituation as far as getting turned around. What we have been doing is dropping a quad off, to go check it out before towing the Momentum in. then radioing thhe status back to the rig. This works well.
    Recently we were dicussing getting a camera drone for this.
    We know less than nothing about them. I figure there has to be people here that have knowledge in this area.
    TIA
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I saw the Title of this thread, my immediate thought was to move it to the "Hobbies" section, then I read the entire thread and I think it's fine here.

So, I'm not much further ahead of you regarding drones and their usage. I have one, but have not flown it for at least a couple of years. Drones now are required to be registered with the FAA for identification purposes if I'm not mistaken. Also, there are places that you cannot fly them.....like National Parks, restricted air spaces, within so many miles of an airport, etc. It gets a little complicated as I remember. Also, there is possibly a restriction that you can only fly them within line of sight maybe, unless you have some kind of license status or ????

My advice to you is to dig in and do a bunch of research BEFORE buying anything and make sure that you are within the bounds of the laws that regulate them.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a licensed pilot I was very surprised to find out how many regulations and restrictions there are regarding flying a drone recreationally (not to mention the prices of the things!). This might get you started:

https://knowbeforeyoufly.org/knowbef...d/recreational

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have looked at quite a bit of this info.
    I do not at this point see it being a problem.
    The places I am thinking of flying are pretty remote...Thats why we go there. We like to be off by ourselves.We avoid holiday week ends. Many times on a
    2-3 week outing we only see 1 or 2 vehicles.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have looked at quite a bit of this info.
    I do not at this point see it being a problem.
    The places I am thinking of flying are pretty remote...Thats why we go there. We like to be off by ourselves.We avoid holiday week ends. Many times on a
    2-3 week outing we only see 1 or 2 vehicles.
    I would be concerned about whether someone else had already parked in the area I was checking out with a drone. Could be annoying to them.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    I would be concerned about whether someone else had already parked in the area I was checking out with a drone. Could be annoying to them.
    I don't think he'd be hovering over them for long. Just long enough for a quick recce and back home.

Sounds like you camp in similar places that we camp from time to time. Rare to see others. I don't think you would have to worry about rules and regs in such remote areas...I wouldn't.
    But remote in Canada is different than remote in the Phoenix area..so... your call.
    My nephew has one. You can fly out of site for miles. I want to say about 15...but I can't remember for sure. Probably depends on how much you spend. And it will initiate return when it senses it is getting close to not having enough juice to get back. Photo quality is impressive. You can also lock it onto something like your quad and it will follow you. Not sure if that's useful...but it's neat.
    Interesting, as I type this there is an ad on the screen ad sidebar advertising military drones.....You probably don't need an armed one..unless maybe you're hunting...lol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Presently. I ride a quad to check on this...That is IMO much more annoying...Reality is that it is rare to find anyone else already there..
    But it sure would be a pain backing my rig a mile or two out of these places
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-29-2024 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like following all traffic laws, drone use can be more complicated than one would assume. The links above are a great place to start.
    For a casual user, some things to consider:
    1. You need an FAA license (cheap, very easy to get, but their hook into making sure you know the rules....)
    2. Even in the remote wilderness, you are not allowed to go higher than 400 ft. above ground. Sounds like a lot, until its not....
    3. You need one with a module that broadcasts your ID, so any legal authority can identify who is flying.
    4. If in another country (Canada vs US, etc.) you are subject to their version of the FCC for the radio control, and the FAA for flight - which may be VERY different than home.
    5. MANY areas, and not just National Parks, prohibit their use at all. So you have to be aware of the rules for that remote location, also.

'Tis up to you to judge whether or not the risk of not following the rules is worth the slight convenience.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Officially you are supposed to keep the drone in your line of sight.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    (Canada vs US, etc.) you are subject to their version of the FCC for the radio control, and the FAA for flight - which may be VERY different than home.
    I don't know the rules up here in Canada...but I can say nobody I know has done any licensing for their drones. Just fyi. Maybe we don't even have rules for them.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast