User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow Haul Mode- Overdrive

I'm curious to know what others do realted to towing in Tow/Haul Mode.

My tow vehicle has a 6 speed transmission and I always tow with it in Drive and Tow/Haul mode, thus NOT locking out overdrive. I've not had issues, but, a couple of buddies with similar trucks indicated thet they put their shifter in "M" for manual and put it in 5th gear, locking out overdrive and they use TGow/Haul as well.

Just curious to what others do related to towing.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put our 6-speed Ram dually in Drive and Tow-Haul mode. Makes no sense to me to lock out 6th speed, can't help fuel mileage wouldn't seem. It's not like the Cummins lacks for power.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same with my ford. Tow-haul, don't lock out 6th gear. Use cruise control except up or down hills.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 10 speed GM, I tow in M8 (or M7 in strong headwinds).
    On my previous 8 speed GM, I towed in M6.

I'm less concerned with the durability in the new Allison-branded 10 speed than the previous 8, but if you can eliminate unnecessary shifting or using of the torque converter, it's probably not a bad idea.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My theory is that the manufacturer has already figured out the shift patterns. So using tow/haul alone without selecting any specific gear is the thing to do.

Having said that I did manually lock out 6th gear in my Ford a lot of times, especially in the mountains in the West and hills of the East.

Now, with a 1- speed, I tend to do the same - let the pre-programmed shift patterns do their things. But I still lock out 10th when out West; not so much in the East.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use tow/haul mode in our 23 F250 CREW 7.3 gasser 10spd when towing our 5er in hilly/mountainous highways. Otherwise, on flat highways just use standard mode for our 5er.

Our 13 F150 6.2 SCREW 4X4 w/6spd used tow/haul all the time when towing our same 5er.

Both tend to locked out over drive 9/10 in the 10spd and 5th in the 6spd when under any duress. Also seemed to engine brake on downhills when in tow/haul too. Did not like to use cruise.... wanted to be able to regulate throttle myself so as to not super-rev the motor up/down hills.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe ask them if theirs shift in and out of overdrive when towing and that's why they do it? In my 2004 F150 I had to take it out of overdrive and it would still shift pretty consistently with any headwind or slight/modest hills, and even then it struggled to keep speed. But I realize 1500 series trucks have changed alot since with bought ours 20 years ago.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally leave the transmission in Drive with both the exhaust brake and tow/haul mode on. There are some grades that are just steep enough that the transmission won't shift until my speed drops more than I would like, so I shift to manual and select the gear I want.

Over the last six weeks we drove the same route from Las Cruces to Quartzsite and back so I had a good idea of what was coming up. The computer in the transmission can't look at the road ahead and change gears, it can only respond to what is happening at that instant. I can look ahead and decide that I need to manually downshift because there is a hill coming.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OshawaDave View Post
    I'm curious to know what others do realted to towing in Tow/Haul Mode.

My tow vehicle has a 6 speed transmission and I always tow with it in Drive and Tow/Haul mode, thus NOT locking out overdrive. I've not had issues, but, a couple of buddies with similar trucks indicated thet they put their shifter in "M" for manual and put it in 5th gear, locking out overdrive and they use TGow/Haul as well.

Just curious to what others do related to towing.
    I think the right answer depends on your powertrain, your loads, and your pulling terrain. Gas and diesel powertrains react differently which will therefore cause different trans shifting specifics. I pull mostly in the mountains of CO other than some occasional road trips to other western destinations and always pull in OD with Tow/Haul enabled on my new 2022 GMC. If I want all the torque enabled off the line, tow/haul must be enabled on the new GM trucks. I pull 80+ MPH here in the west without issue and never shift into other gears. I leave the cruise control and the exhaust brake enabled and let the drivetrain and computer do it's thing. Everything is engineered to work together. The PCM will not allow the trans to exceed temps from erratic shifting like we used to deal with in the past so I just don't worry about that any longer. I've had a number of diesel GM trucks and never had any issues with shifting or taking them out of OD and my last Keystone Montana was over 16K towing weight. Diesels and gas engines have many differences including their power bands, engine braking vs exhaust braking, gearing, and such. Each will pull differently and offer pros/cons especially as it relates to how they pull hills. The GM Allison 10-speed trans does a wonderful job of knowing which gear to be in for what's being requested for power/speed.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    I think the right answer depends on your powertrain, your loads, and your pulling terrain. Gas and diesel powertrains react differently which will therefore cause different trans shifting specifics. I pull mostly in the mountains of CO other than some occasional road trips to other western destinations and always pull in OD with Tow/Haul enabled on my new 2022 GMC. If I want all the torque enabled off the line, tow/haul must be enabled on the new GM trucks. I pull 80+ MPH here in the west without issue and never shift into other gears. I leave the cruise control and the exhaust brake enabled and let the drivetrain and computer do it's thing. Everything is engineered to work together. The PCM will not allow the trans to exceed temps from erratic shifting like we used to deal with in the past so I just don't worry about that any longer. I've had a number of diesel GM trucks and never had any issues with shifting or taking them out of OD and my last Keystone Montana was over 16K towing weight. Diesels and gas engines have many differences including their power bands, engine braking vs exhaust braking, gearing, and such. Each will pull differently and offer pros/cons especially as it relates to how they pull hills. The GM Allison 10-speed trans does a wonderful job of knowing which gear to be in for what's being requested for power/speed.
    Yes, I agree and I probably should've included that I'm interested in those with a gasser engine. However, good to hear from all.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast