Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

West Yellowstone to Redwoods National Park

Need suggestions of best route to take. Doesn't look like there is any easy way. We also want to see Lake Tahoe and surrounding areas but that will be on way back. Tried to get in and close to Yosemite national park but no luck. And we are on rec.gov site as soon as they are released .
    Any info and the conditions of the roads would be appreciated.
    Thanks Steve &Tara
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsmiley72 View Post
    Need suggestions of best route to take. Doesn't look like there is any easy way. We also want to see Lake Tahoe and surrounding areas but that will be on way back. Tried to get in and close to Yosemite national park but no luck. And we are on rec.gov site as soon as they are released .
    Any info and the conditions of the roads would be appreciated.
    Thanks Steve &Tara
    When will you be making the trip and how much time do you have? How far are you wanting to travel? Might be able to offer some info with answers for those questions. Such as, Oregon coast is beautiful, but if you are short on time than that would be too long of a trip. We may be traveling from Tahoe to the Redwoods in a few weeks, weather dependent. If we go thru there I can let you know conditions.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be making trip early June. We fulltime so have alot of time. We sure would appreciate info.
    Thank you so much!
    Steve & Tara
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right in that there is no easy way to the Redwoods from Yellowstone. Considering that you want to see Tahoe on the way back I would think going to the Oregon coast and then south to the Redwoods would be the most enjoyable. I have not been east of Boise on either 93 or I-84. According to the Mountain Directory going 93 will take you thru a couple of passes, one of which says it is a two lane road that needs to be a little wider and no paved shoulder. Taking I-84 will put you in Twin Falls and maybe a stop at Shosone Falls. Maybe figure out how much of the Oregon coast you would like to see. Lots of state parks that fill up early. Most of it is a slow windy coastal road with great views. Most of the roads going to the coast after crossing I-5 will be decent roads but will have some hills and curvy roads near the coast. I think the roads in the north are the better options. Maybe an option is taking I-84 all the way to Pendleton and thru Portland to the coast. I did take a route from north of Medford to Gold Beach and the in-laws said it was a white-knuckle road so I would not recommend it. If you wanted to catch into the Oregon coast further to the southern edge you might even consider taking a route by Crater Lake. I was informed just a couple of weeks ago that 101 from Ore border to Redwoods is in need of lots of repairs. But still doable in a 44 ft motorhome. Sounds like a lot of the popular roads in the country. After leaving the Rewoods heading to Tahoe, from my research, I was going to take 299 to Redding and continue to Burney and then Susanville. You could take 44 from Redding to Susanville but it does have some semi restrictions on it that would not pertain to you but it just gave me a little better idea what the road would be like. If you figure out a route you are going to take, post here and we will see if there can be a little more specific into from others.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can recommend Newberry National Volcanic Monument. Camp inside a caldera! Hike inside a lava tube. Bend is a pretty cool town too.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide