User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good cell tower signal (bars) only improves the communication between the tower and your device. When boosting a signal, you are only improving that connection between the two.

The data speed from that connection depends on current traffic or usage on the tower, the error and retransmission rate of data packets to and from your device and the tower, and network availability by your provider in your area.

Typically if your getting good signal strength and poor data speeds, its probably due to traffic on the cell tower and/or network availability. With a directional antennae, one could point at a different tower with less traffic and possible signal strength, and receive faster data speeds.

If using a directional antennae, would recommend downloading a cell tower location app like "Network Cell Info Lite". This will locate towers in your area that work with your cell provider. Then point your directional antennae toward that "best" location which can be done using a compass (app or mechanical).

We have had excellent service using these techniques while camping in our RV.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Good cell tower signal (bars) only improves the communication between the tower and your device. When boosting a signal, you are only improving that connection between the two.

The data speed from that connection depends on current traffic or usage on the tower, the error and retransmission rate of data packets to and from your device and the tower, and network availability by your provider in your area.

Typically if your getting good signal strength and poor data speeds, its probably due to traffic on the cell tower and/or network availability. With a directional antennae, one could point at a different tower with less traffic and possible signal strength, and receive faster data speeds.

If using a directional antennae, would recommend downloading a cell tower location app like "Network Cell Info Lite". This will locate towers in your area that work with your cell provider. Then point your directional antennae toward that "best" location which can be done using a compass (app or mechanical).

We have had excellent service using these techniques while camping in our RV.
    All true. Keep in mind phones are still designed primarily to make phone calls and send SMS and not necessarily provide best data performance (there are exceptions). There are also significant differences in antenna design and radio transmission power levels between brands and models. And, the number of bars and performance (both voice and data) are dependent upon the servicing technology - 3G, 4GLTE, 5G, 5GUC as well as weather and temperature - Earth's atmosphere is considered a hostile environment for radio wave propagation. Two bars of 5G will not necessarily translate into better data speed over two bars of 4G LTE since the antennas are very likely on the same towers and the upper bands just do not travel as far in the earth's atmosphere (that means more bit errors). See the picture below. Carriers deliberately reduce older technology (i.e. 4G LTE) in order to deploy newer technology (i.e.5G). This has been true since analog to TDMA/CDMA days. FYI, Network Cell Info Lite is a very good app as is OpenSignal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cellular-bands-range.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	49995
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    When you talk about bars on your phone, you should understand that bars are Not a true indication of good cellular service. Data speed is the only thing that really matters. I've had full bars before and speeds so slow, that it was unusable for getting anything other then email, if lucky. For testing purposes, get a data speed app for your device. The use of a cell booster is dependent on having a workable signal to begin with. It can work, but it has limitations. Its still better then your phone by itself because any external antenna can outperform an internal one, like your phone. The booster is using just one antenna to process, and convert to wifi frequencys for connectivity of your devices. Remember, wifi is Not the same as cellular signals. Your cellular signals are captured by a cellular enabled device, then rebroadcast on wifi frequency for a limited usage zone for your devices to connect to. What is better then one antenna then? Multiple antennas! Enter MIMO technology. Multiple input, multiple output. MIMO antennas have the advantage of processing your cellular signals through multiple antennas, thus improving drop outs and interruptions of service. Combined with a good cellular router, they can be an advantage over a simple cell booster antenna. I am currently using a 10 db gain omni directional dome MIMO antenna on the roof of our 5th wheel, fed into a pepwave cellular router that can use any carriers data plans using sim cards. I have two card slots, so I can have a backup service if one is not available in my area. But to get back to having better cell signals, my antenna dome has two input antennas and two output antennas. It also has a set of wifi antennas for using campground wifi . The usable connection zone on this system is about 100 feet. It is usable when towing the rig from the cab of the truck. In very challenging conditions I have hooked up a directional antenna on a 15 ft mast into one set of coax cable connections on the router, while the other set is still using one of the omni directional dome antennas. Thereby optimizing two different antennas at the same time. Everything has advantages and disadvantages. But there is no denying that an external antenna will outperform an internal antenna at distance from the source. And dual antennas will improve gain of signal over just one. Many people will just reply get Starlink. A great system, but you asked about cellular, so I gave you some info on optimizing that . Good luck with your solution, what ever direction you choose to go
    Thank you for this great info. Right now since I work I need the connectivity to be good. We have to deal with what the RV park says they have and what the maps tell us the cell signal is. Both of which are not reliable as we learned during our last big outing. Once retired, I could care less if I am connected or not. I don't desire to watch silly cat videos or post images of everything I consume during the day.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123