User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof screw backing out

I was up on the roof today and noticed that a screw was backing out from one of the 4*8 panels. The location of the screw that is backing out is in the center of the roof adjacent to the kitchen fan.

The screw hasn't broken the tpo membrane yet but I am worried that it won't be too long before it does.

What would be the best way to fix this?

Thanks
    Frank
    Frank & Harriett
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    New 2023 Silverado 3500 HD with Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 303travel View Post
    I was up on the roof today and noticed that a screw was backing out from one of the 4*8 panels. The location of the screw that is backing out is in the center of the roof adjacent to the kitchen fan.

The screw hasn't broken the tpo membrane yet but I am worried that it won't be too long before it does.

What would be the best way to fix this?

Thanks
    Frank
    I would cut a slight straight line just enough to fit a screwdriver tip throught to tighten the screw and then cover it with eternabond once the screw is back down. I would also cover the edges of the eternabond with some self leveling caulking and call it done.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may not get the screw to bite trying to tighten it in the same place. This is because power tools are used and too much torque is applied which strips out the wood. This happened to us on several of the screws that hold the metal batten down where the membrane meets the front cap. If this is the case after trying the advice from @Calbar above, move the screw over 1/2" or so and screw it back in. The Eternabond tape (over a clean surface) is a great suggestion for resealing things.

(another) Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I would cut a slight straight line just enough to fit a screwdriver tip throught to tighten the screw and then cover it with eternabond once the screw is back down. I would also cover the edges of the eternabond with some self leveling caulking and call it done.

Rob
    Thanks! Great idea about the self leveling caulking too.
    Frank & Harriett
    2018 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You may not get the screw to bite trying to tighten it in the same place. This is because power tools are used and too much torque is applied which strips out the wood. This happened to us on several of the screws that hold the metal batten down where the membrane meets the front cap. If this is the case after trying the advice from @Calbar above, move the screw over 1/2" or so and screw it back in. The Eternabond tape (over a clean surface) is a great suggestion for resealing things.

(another) Rob
    Thanks!

I had the same problem with the screws with the front cap a while back. Our RV service center screwed them back down without moving them and recaulked but I noticed today that a few of them were coming back up again. I'll take your advice and move them to reset them properly.
    Frank & Harriett
    2018 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the screw, push in some glue into the screw hole. Put a slightly larger or longer screw in it. Seal it up afterwords. The screw should never back out again.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Remove the screw, push in some glue into the screw hole. Put a slightly larger or longer screw in it. Seal it up afterwords. The screw should never back out again.
    Thanks! We will be taking the slightly larger screw approach.
    Frank & Harriett
    2018 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screw or staple?