User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-pack bearings necessary?

Hello All,

I have a 2022 341RDS fifth wheel, and it is time to grease my bearings.

I have seen that I may need to completely pull out and repack my bearings (which seems like a cumbersome process). I have also heard I do NOT need to completely re-pack by bearings, but instead simply pull the wheel, and grease gun through the grease zerk.

Could you please advise me on the proper maintenance for this, and what the risks/benefits of each method might be? I am still relatively new to the RV space and am trying to figure this all out as I go!

Many thanks in advance, and if this has been answered elsewhere, i apologize for the repetitive question.

KF

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMover View Post
    Hello All,

I have seen that I may need to completely pull out and repack my bearings (which seems like a cumbersome process). I have also heard I do NOT need to completely re-pack by bearings, but instead simply pull the wheel, and grease gun through the grease zerk.

Could you please advise me on the proper maintenance for this, and what the risks/benefits of each method might be? I am still relatively new to the RV space and am trying to figure this all out as I go!

Many thanks in advance, and if this has been answered elsewhere, i apologize for the repetitive question.

KF
    If you use the grease zerk then you run the chance of blowing the seal and you also can't inspect them.

I pull the bearings, completely clean out the old grease and repack with synthetic grease. That way I get an eye on the bearing to make sure everything is working well
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And since it's a new-to-you trailer you really should check to make sure the grease is of sufficient quantity and in the proper places, i.e., not on the brakes. Once the brakes are inspected and done properly, they should be good for quite a while. While some say you should regrease the brakes annually, I am not one of those. I do mine every few years. If you put on mega-miles, more frequent inspection may be suggested. IMO the EZ-Lube "feature" is one of those answers for a question not asked. Adding grease between service intervals is rarely needed, unless you're in the habit of driving through ponds, lakes, and the like.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you repack you wheel bearing on your truck ?
    Do what you feel is needed.
    Your camper has traveled alot of miles just to get to the dealer most likely if it wasn't grease suould already burnt up .
    Your going to get alot of answers on this .
    I check for any noise rotate by had nice smooth check for just a small amount of play . If these 3 things check out then just 4 or 5 shots of grease while rotating tires and call it a day .
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMover View Post
    Hello All,

KF
    If you have greased bearings before, know what wear signs to look for, have enough space to safely do the maintenance, dont mind lifting one side of your trailer axles off the ground and securing the frame weight properly on stands, and confident enough working on your RV, would recommend doing the maintenance yourself by removing each drum/hub and clean/check/grease by hand. Plenty of info and videos on the net to help you out with that task.

However, if you have enough projects to keep you busy (like me), or have some limitations of doing the above, would recommend having a trusted RV service dept do it for you. We had our dealer who has a good service dept do it every other year prior to our IS/disk brake install. We paid $250 for the service. IMO, worth every penny for that price given they had the space, tools, parts availability, and could get it done in a couple of hours.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    While some say you should regrease the brakes annually, I am not one of those. I do mine every few years.
    I try to never do it...actually...lol

The maintenance manual from Dexter says to inspect and repack the bearings every 12k miles or 12 months. Whatever comes first. The only way to inspect the bearings is to remove the hubs and yes it is boring job to do, but imo, great for peace of mind that I've done what I can to limit the chance of repairing on the side of a highway.I do mine soon after first acquiring a trailer then every two years after that. So like Connor58 said you will get lots of opinions. I'm not a fan of Connor58's opinion because if you just give the hub a few shots of grease you don't have any chance of getting fresh grease to the outboard bearing. You need to empty about a half a tube of grease in there before it starts to show at the outboard bearing - so I'm told, I've never done it. But to each their own.

Believe it or not GD recommends a complete suspension tear down inspection every year as well. But...nobody does that.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had good luck with Shell Rotella HD Grease. It is easy to clean up and remove from your hands. Citgo Mystic JT-6 is also good, but its a pain to clean up.

I usually completely remove and repack my bearings every three (3) years. That usually is less than 10,000 miles.

All of my OEM Dexter bearing sets have been replace by Timkin bearings and race sets and Timkin grease seals.

The Dexter Operation Maintenance Service Manual is attached below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600-8k_complete_service_manual.pdf 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	50164
    Last edited by Kevin2282; 03-20-2024 at 04:31 PM.
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    If you have greased bearings before, know what wear signs to look for, have enough space to safely do the maintenance, dont mind lifting one side of your trailer axles off the ground and securing the frame weight properly on stands, and confident enough working on your RV, would recommend doing the maintenance yourself by removing each drum/hub and clean/check/grease by hand. Plenty of info and videos on the net to help you out with that task.

However, if you have enough projects to keep you busy (like me), or have some limitations of doing the above, would recommend having a trusted RV service dept do it for you. We had our dealer who has a good service dept do it every other year prior to our IS/disk brake install. We paid $250 for the service. IMO, worth every penny for that price given they had the space, tools, parts availability, and could get it done in a couple of hours.
    I would 2nd this if you have someone you can trust to do it. $250 would be a no brainer for me. I just don't trust the dealer service dept around here. I could look into a truck service dept but I do it every other year also so not a big deal.

What do you do now with the IS/disc's?
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    you don't have any chance of getting fresh grease to the outboard bearing. You need to empty about a half a tube of grease in there before it starts to show at the outboard bearing
    At least, there is a lot of open space between the inner & outer bearings.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I would 2nd this if you have someone you can trust to do it. $250 would be a no brainer for me. I just don't trust the dealer service dept around here. I could look into a truck service dept but I do it every other year also so not a big deal.

What do you do now with the IS/disc's?
    On those, I can raise one wheel at a time due to the IS. IS makes it easy to raise just one wheel at a time. Makes out better for wheel removal too. Kinda like a 69 Citroen.... just for maint though.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast