Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is that weather didn't damage your connections.Using standard connectors is a good and reliable option. They also provide an easy bypass.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    My point is that weather didn't damage your connections.Using standard connectors is a good and reliable option. They also provide an easy bypass.
    I pretty much agree, but that photo and the resultant damage were using "standard connectors". So, while they may be a good and reliable option, they also have potential problems, which I intend to bypass. The Watch Dog was hooked up to the power cable to the trailer constantly. I never removed it, so that shouldn't have caused the plug connections to loosen. There really was no reason, but it's obvious they did get looser than they should have and that led to poor connections, which led to heat, and it just snowballed. Standard connectors are good and reliable, but also have their faults. Har, a little electrical humor.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still come back to your original issue. You have a melted down female connector and as others said, it is probably a corroded contact or broken wire somewhere that was arcing. I've been RVing for about 20 years doing about 4-5 trips a summer on average with both 30 and 50 amp connections through the years. I've never had this happen on a trip (luck or otherwise), however I did have a receptacle in the garage melt down because the $150/hr electrician didn't screw down one of the posts tight enough and didn't use oxidizer on one of the legs. I'd say track down the root cause and fix it. Hardwiring your surge protector externally (exposed) just seems like you are adding another set of potential POF's (Point of Failure). If you want redundancy in your system, get a backup power cord. It's just my opinion and experience, which if you throw in $2.00, it will get you a cup of coffee.

Edit.

While you working this issue, you might wan to grab a spare surge module off Amazon. They're like 30 bucks and take up no space at all. Cheap insurance if you get Zapped. Your post got me thinking and I just ordered one myself. Looks like about the size of a deck of cards.

Regardless what you decide, Best of Luck and if you get minute, let the chat know what you ended up doing. At the end of the day, it really only matters what option lets you sleep at night.
    Last edited by MooManChu; 03-27-2024 at 07:28 PM.
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    The title pretty much says it all: My power cord has gotten very warm/hot where it plugs into the Power Watch Dog. I want to semi-permanently attach the two. So my conundrum is how do I do that, or rather what would be the best way to connect the wires. It needs to be water proof and good connections. I've seen some boxes that would cover/protect the connections. I want it only semi-permanent so I can re-connect the normal 50 amp plug in case the Watch Dog has a meltdown. The ones I've seen use brass/copper connections in the box and would allow the plug to be easily connected if necessary.

I don't want a permanently installed EMS in the trailer, but I do want to get rid of the plugs from the power cord into the Watch Dog.

Any help/suggestions/hints would be gratefully accepted.

Yeah, sometimes I'm a bit weird.

TIA.

On edit: Any reason/s it is a bad idea will be taken into consideration.

You might consider these submersible butt splices. These are used in water wells. I use them all the time. Splice heat shrink and silicone sealant is released. 100%waterproof. I like to wrap them in friction tape to add protection from shafing .

K8C4 Submersible Pump Wire Splice Kit Repair and Installation. #8 AWG, 4 Wires - Easy and Reliable - Crimp It, Shrink It, and Forget It! https://a.co/d/dZeIaIi

Dustin
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, last point first: I'm not sure what kind of "surge module" you're speaking of. Are you talking about those cheap-o surge protectors? If so, sorry, I have no use for one of those, I prefer to have a full EMS, like the Watch Dog. Post a link to the surge protector to which you're referring, please.

I have tracked down the root cause: somehow the female plug no longer made a good, solid connection with the male plug. These are the molded plugs that come on the OEM power cords, and EMS of various types. Nothing to be done with them, when they go bad, and usually not much warning since the plugs are completely molded under the rubber. Once they get loose, they are pretty much toast. Now, a good EMS like the Watch Dog will run around $275. I can throw away the whole unit due to a bad plug, or I can replace the plug in a better way, which will cost me about $50. Being the frugal sort, okay cheap, I opted to try something different. And the Polaris connectors are certainly much more reliable than the two male/female RV plugs, so IMO I'm lessening the POF. And FWIW, I do have a 25' 50 amp extension cord too.
    Howard and Peggy

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    You might consider these submersible butt splices. These are used in water wells. I use them all the time. Splice heat shrink and silicone sealant is released. 100%waterproof. I like to wrap them in friction tape to add protection from shafing .

K8C4 Submersible Pump Wire Splice Kit Repair and Installation. #8 AWG, 4 Wires - Easy and Reliable - Crimp It, Shrink It, and Forget It! https://a.co/d/dZeIaIi

Dustin
    Thank you, I had considered something like those, but was uncomfortable having the splices, even though they are protected, just lying on the ground, and kind of concerned about them rubbing together while traveling and lying on the ground. Basically the Polaris connectors are very similar to those, but extra heavy duty as it were. And they will be in a weatherproof box of some kind as extra added protection.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, last point first: I'm not sure what kind of "surge module" you're speaking of. Are you talking about those cheap-o surge protectors? If so, sorry, I have no use for one of those, I prefer to have a full EMS, like the Watch Dog. Post a link to the surge protector to which you're referring, please.

I have tracked down the root cause: somehow the female plug no longer made a good, solid connection with the male plug. These are the molded plugs that come on the OEM power cords, and EMS of various types. Nothing to be done with them, when they go bad, and usually not much warning since the plugs are completely molded under the rubber. Once they get loose, they are pretty much toast. Now, a good EMS like the Watch Dog will run around $275. I can throw away the whole unit due to a bad plug, or I can replace the plug in a better way, which will cost me about $50. Being the frugal sort, okay cheap, I opted to try something different. And the Polaris connectors are certainly much more reliable than the two male/female RV plugs, so IMO I'm lessening the POF. And FWIW, I do have a 25' 50 amp extension cord too.

I have a Watchdog. All surge protectors eventually wear out as they absorb small surges. AFAIK, the Watchdog is the only one that has a user replaceable surge board. So you can order a spare to have on hand.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grab the manual for your Hughes Power Watch Dog. Unlike most surge protectors on the market, it has a replaceable surge module per huntindog's post and as accurately stated, these circuits , for a lack of better term, "decay" over time from surges.
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I knew that the Watch Dog is repairable, but I rarely care spares, since what you don't have spares for is what will need attention. Can't cover all the bases. But now that it has been brought to my attention a couple times, I may change my outlook. Thank you all.
    Howard and Peggy

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I was thinking that spare part for the Watch Dog was a lot more expensive than it is. So I now have a spare on order and ran around $30. Save me some work, maybe, at some time in the future. Much appreciated yawl.
    Howard and Peggy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast