User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti-Sway feature of Ford Trucks

Ford trucks (and other manufacturers) have a built-in computer-controlled anti-sway feature that supposedly applies the corrective brake action to individual wheels if the sensor detects any sway with the attached trailer. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience using this feature without using an anti-sway hitch. Is this feature, by itself, effective if a small trailer, say about 21 feet long and about 6 thousand pounds loaded, is being pulled by an F150?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak for a newer F150. But I have towed our trailer without the WDH/sway hitch with our F350 and I did not care for it. When not using WDH/sway hitch, I use the electronic anti sway in the truck. When using the WDH/sway hitch, I turn off the electronic sway control. I find that when both are employed they fight one another and the result is a constant "jerking" back and forth. Once I turn off electronic sway control, it's more of a controlled "floating" motion if that makes any sense.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my F150 the sway control worked well with my prior TT. But this is a last ditch safety for when sway is very bad already. Not a replacement for a WDH with integrated sway control.

I had it the truck sway control kick in 3 separate times, each time it reacted a little quicker then I did and the sway was bad enough that if someone was next to me I probably would have side swiped them.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Before the ProPride hitch I got frequent sway on my trailer - usually just a very mild side to side. It had to build to a noticeable (and scary) amount before the truck would kick in and try and control it. And since the truck is taking over you have little control to compensate for other conditions. Think busy highway, everyone going fast, and packed too close together.
    The truck feature is a fail safe, last ditch thing, to prevent a wreck. Not something to be used instead of properly controlling sway before it can start.
    Sway is ONLY due to too little tongue weight. Do everything you can to increase it if needed. Then move on to other mechanical aids if you have to.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our '13 F150 electronic anti-sway caused our rear brakes to wear thin within 25k pulling our 5er and still didnt do much for sway in the rear. Placed an aftermarket Hellwig anti-sway bar on it and that truck pulled without sway on winding and windy highways very well.

We ordered a new '23 F250 with the camper pkg which comes with an actual sway bar, but it too uses a electronic (antilock brake) sway controller. Sway is limited, but, we will be upgrading the stock bar with a Hellwig soon.

Would recommend the Hellwig sway bar kit for those without them which pretty much eliminates the Ford nanny feature which IMO wears the rear brakes out prematurely pulling heavy trailers on SRW vehicles.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F350 built in sway control, I activated mine.

I towed a farm tractor once; a 2 axle trailer with my 2019 F350. It was for maybe 2 miles with one section on a 2 lane road. I our haste, we did not realize how poorly we loaded tractor (too far to rear) until I felt something funny in steering wheel. We were going maybe 30 mph. I looked in rearview mirror and saw the trailer swaying, a LOT ! Before I could react, at all, the truck dash showed a message about sway control activated, and it did. Before I could react, the truck fixed it and I slowed down. I will never know what triggered the sway nor what would have happened without that feature on my truck. In short, I have it and have used it.
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That built in sway control is a reactive not proactive system. It will only activate when it senses the trailer swaying beyond normal. It's not a replacement for a good WDH.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do you want to drive 1000 miles with a sway control hitch doing its job or your truck putting on the rear brakes every time it senses sway. Sounds like a bunch of unnecessary wear on the brakes.

As others have pointed out it is reactive instead of proactive
    GMC 2500 HD Gas
    GD Imagine XLS22 MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoredWeasel View Post
    So do you want to drive 1000 miles with a sway control hitch doing its job or your truck putting on the rear brakes every time it senses sway. Sounds like a bunch of unnecessary wear on the brakes.

As others have pointed out it is reactive instead of proactive
    Would still install the Hellwig antisway bar.... you never know where youll be when you might have to haul a heavy trailer, 5th wheel or bed loaded. Not only did it make a big difference in hauling, but also driving a truck bobtailed (no trailer with unloaded bed).
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littleapple View Post
    Ford trucks (and other manufacturers) have a built-in computer-controlled anti-sway feature that supposedly applies the corrective brake action to individual wheels if the sensor detects any sway with the attached trailer. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience using this feature without using an anti-sway hitch. Is this feature, by itself, effective if a small trailer, say about 21 feet long and about 6 thousand pounds loaded, is being pulled by an F150?
    At that weight with an F150 you are already required by Ford to use a weight distributing hitch (over 5k). So you might as well get one with some sway control built in too, imo, since almost all but the most basic wdh also provide sway control.

I’d rather prevent than correct sway, so that was my choice with our older trailer at the exact size you are talking about and we never regretted it. Higher margin of safety = better towing experience.