User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are all sometimes a bit sloppy with our words. The charger is part of the converter in this case. It gets 120V from shore power, then converts it to 12V for the lights, fans, furnace, etc. It also sends 12V to the battery to charge it up (actually more than 12V but there are others here who understand this all better than I do and will jump in to correct me if this is wrong).
    It also has the 120V breakers and the 12V fuses.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason-Texas View Post
    My question is about the Converter, not the charger, I know I need a Lithium charger to fully charge to 100%.

GrandDesign stated I needed to make sure the Converter was able to be set to accept Lithium battery. How do I verify that is the question? The converter is behind the storage wall in the front pass thru.
    There is nothing to do with the converter side of the unit. People refer to the converter/charger as one unit (because most of them today are integrated). They are just telling you that "it" the charger side of the converter needs to be set to lithium. Everyone has been assuming you do not have a lithium charger based on your original post. Now that you know you already have lithium compatible charging, just check the manual to determine how you get it to recognize the lithium battery (whether it is manual or automatic). The converter which converts household 120V when you are plugged into shore power and converts it to 12V for all your 12V devices does not change no matter what type of battery you have. Make sense?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    There is nothing to do with the converter side of the unit. People refer to the converter/charger as one unit (because most of them today are integrated). They are just telling you that "it" the charger side of the converter needs to be set to lithium. Everyone has been assuming you do not have a lithium charger based on your original post. Now that you know you already have lithium compatible charging, just check the manual to determine how you get it to recognize the lithium battery (whether it is manual or automatic). The converter which converts household 120V when you are plugged into shore power and converts it to 12V for all your 12V devices does not change no matter what type of battery you have. Make sense?
    This makes sense: The converter which converts household 120V when you are plugged into shore power and converts it to 12V for all your 12V devices does not change no matter what type of battery you have.

I guess my confusion is from the response I got from Grand design.

When I bought the Lithium battery, they also sold me a Lithium battery charger.

Thanks for everyone’s time and answers. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t damage the Lithium battery or my rv by connecting it to my rv’s electrical system.

My previous rv had solar, and a controller that I could switch from LA, AGM, or Lithium, this one does not.
    Jason & Celia-Texas
    2019 GD Reflection 337 RLS
    2020 GMC Denali, Dually
    Pungo Kayaks,Lectric E-bikes

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This makes sense: The converter which converts household 120V when you are plugged into shore power and converts it to 12V for all your 12V devices does not change no matter what type of battery you have.

I guess my confusion is from the response I got from Grand design.

When I bought the Lithium battery, they also sold me a Lithium battery charger.

Thanks for everyone’s time and answers. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t damage the Lithium battery or my rv by connecting it to my rv’s electrical system.

My previous rv had solar, and a controller that I could switch from LA, AGM, or Lithium, this one does not.
    OK......Time Out! Lets get this squared away if we can. If I'm reading correctly, you have purchased a new charger that is LiFePO capable. Please post exactly what Brand and model it is and lets see if it is a combination unit that is a Converter/Charger or if it is strictly a LFP charging unit

All of these trailers come from the factory with a combo unit that serves as a Converter and a Charger. The way I'm reading what you posted is that you are planning on having two separate units......one for charging and the other as a Converter......is that correct or am I missing your intent?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My original question was, Can I change my factory LA battery to a Lithium with no compatibility issues, as my rv does not have any solar or chargers. All it came with was a LA battery trickle charger.

I bought a LiTime 12V 100Ah Lithium battery with same brand charger. I was only concerned with the rv possibly damaging the Lithium battery by overcharging or some other unforeseen issue, while hooked up to shore power.
    Jason & Celia-Texas
    2019 GD Reflection 337 RLS
    2020 GMC Denali, Dually
    Pungo Kayaks,Lectric E-bikes

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was only concerned with the rv possibly damaging the Lithium battery by overcharging or some other unforeseen issue, while hooked up to shore power.
    If that is your only concern there is no reason not to just pull the old battery and put in the new one. The charger built in to the converter will not overcharge the lithium battery, it will undercharge it a bit. Lithium batteries have a higher fully charged/100% voltage than lead acid so the charger will shut down the current to the lithium battery when it reaches lead acid batteries fully charged/100% state of charge, leaving the lithium battery at about 80%.
    By the way, we are headed to your vicinity (by Texas standards) for the eclipse on April 8th. We are staying at Lofer's Bend West State Park, about 2 1/2 hours north of Bastrop.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My original question was, Can I change my factory LA battery to a Lithium with no compatibility issues, as my rv does not have any solar or chargers. All it came with was a LA battery trickle charger.

I bought a LiTime 12V 100Ah Lithium battery with same brand charger. I was only concerned with the rv possibly damaging the Lithium battery by overcharging or some other unforeseen issue, while hooked up to shore power.
    Every RV comes with a Converter/Charger combo unit! Was your removed by someone before you bought it?

And from what I'm seeing on LiTime's site, there charging units are just chargers....not a combo unit.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with others that this got a little confusing. But anyway, the bottom line is this...the lithium battery will have a BMS (battery management system) which will protect the battery from overcharging. So, whether you are charging with solar/controller or plugged into 120V, or both, even if your chargers keep trying to overcharge the battery, the BMS will not allow it. Depending on the charger and/or solar controller you have, you may also have the ability to set the charge parameters so you'll want to read the manuals to learn how to set the appropriate parameters if you are able to control them.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed a Li Time 100ah battery last night, with the stock charger/inverter on my 320MKS. It charged from 39% to 91% in 7 hours. I've used the battery only today trying to use some juice and see if it recharges to 91, but it hasn't depleted anything yet.

91% is fine with me for now!
    Colin & Kathy
    2021 Reflection 320MKS -- 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12