Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Channging Battery Type?

I have been thinking about switching my AGM battery to a Lithium battery. One question that I have is how do I change the battery type on the converter? I have a Progressive Dynamic PD9360 converter and it shows a hole on the side of it. I would stick something in this hole to push a hidden button. This sound simple, but how do I access the converter which is behind my circuit breakers? Surely there is a simpler way than taking something apart.
    Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4
    2024 Grand Design Reflection 296RDST

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've seen, there are no options other than to be able to access the tiny hole with the little "key" and do the changeover until the LED turns Blue for the LiFePO type battery setting. You also want to do that BEFORE you power up the new LFP battery......not while the battery is already hooked up.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    From what I've seen, there are no options other than to be able to access the tiny hole with the little "key" and do the changeover until the LED turns Blue for the LiFePO type battery setting. You also want to do that BEFORE you power up the new LFP battery......not while the battery is already hooked up.
    Yep - that is how it appears to me. I don't like messing with electrical stuff and the circuit board is full of it. My fear is something will pull loose while removing the breaker panel. Then once I remove it will I be able to reach the pinhole for changing the battery type. Being I don't have the "key" I guess a small nail or paper clip will work. This may make me keep the same battery type I have.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
    Yep - that is how it appears to me. I don't like messing with electrical stuff and the circuit board is full of it. My fear is something will pull loose while removing the breaker panel. Then once I remove it will I be able to reach the pinhole for changing the battery type. Being I don't have the "key" I guess a small nail or paper clip will work. This may make me keep the same battery type I have.
    From the pictures that I've seen of the "key", it looks almost identical to the little key that comes with a cell phone that let's you remove your SIM card....maybe you've got one of those laying around!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    From the pictures that I've seen of the "key", it looks almost identical to the little key that comes with a cell phone that let's you remove your SIM card....maybe you've got one of those laying around!
    I am sure I do somewhere. Looking at pictures my converter may be under the sink or behind some drawers. I will look when I get the trailer out of storage next week.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure I do somewhere. Looking at pictures my converter may be under the sink or behind some drawers. I will look when I get the trailer out of storage next week.
    That would likely make it much easier. I had to take down a wall to access mine, in the baggage compartment. I figured, why put the new one in there, when I can move it closer to the battery and have easier access if needed, so I did just that.....

Baggage compartment door...

When that door is opened for access to the compartment
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @xrated that’s very clever! Do you have some sort of cover over the side where the cables are coming out? I would be a bit uncomfortable having those live 12V contacts exposed right there in an opening I am frequently getting in to.
    2021 Reflection 150 260RD
    2020 F-250 Superduty, 7.2L gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGEarley View Post
    @xrated that’s very clever! Do you have some sort of cover over the side where the cables are coming out? I would be a bit uncomfortable having those live 12V contacts exposed right there in an opening I am frequently getting in to.
    No cover......it's up and out of the way and really no need to cover it up. There is also easy access to the back of the Converter/Charger, where there is an ON/OFF switch. Over the wintertime, when the trailer is in storage, I usually keep the Converter/Charger turned off unless I need 12VDC for something while working on it or in it. It's easy, pop open the door, reach around behind it and flip the switch on and the C/C comes to life and is producing 13.4VDC to power up lights, etc.

On a side note, I've been a Journeyman Electrician since 1980 and I'm extremely comfortable working on Electrical equipment. I do have a healthy respect for it, but I'm not afraid or uncomfortable with it at all.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After finally finding the converter I may be out of luck changing my AGM battery to lithium. The converter is under the stove with the side that I need to change the battery type is turned away from me. I had to remove the trash can and stick my head under the heat vent hose to even see it. Even if I could get my head and arm in there I would have to find the small hole to push the button, but I would not be able to see what type of battery I changed the converter to.

I guess I am stuck with heavy AGM batteries.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After finally finding the converter I may be out of luck changing my AGM battery to lithium. The converter is under the stove with the side that I need to change the battery type is turned away from me. I had to remove the trash can and stick my head under the heat vent hose to even see it. Even if I could get my head and arm in there I would have to find the small hole to push the button, but I would not be able to see what type of battery I changed the converter to.

I guess I am stuck with heavy AGM batteries.
    An inspection mirror can be your friend. I've used them 100s of times over the years to see places that I cannot actually stick my head or be able to see normally. Yes, it's a bit more tedious, but sometimes that is the only way.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually