User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breakaway Switch Question

Does the pin in the breakaway actually pull out of the switch to activate? How hard of a pull does it take?

I switched to LiFePo4 batteries in our 23LDE and reworked the connections on the tongue. I pulled the breakaway cable to verify the brakes still worked and didnt get any movement. I am hesitant to put a real ugga ugga into it in in case I break something…
    Deb and Bill
    2024 Imagine XLS 23LDE

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - the pin actually pulls out of the switch housing to activate the circuit. It's takes a pretty good jerk - but I've done it by accident messing around the pin box and catching the cable with something. If you pull straight, you will not harm the switch by pulling the plunger out.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just give it a quick tug. When you go to put it back in, you will see some keyways that have to lined back up. I actually test mine about once a year - just pull the pin and put the truck in drive.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses! I’ll give it a go later today.
    Deb and Bill
    2024 Imagine XLS 23LDE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you pull straight, you will not harm the switch by pulling the plunger out.

Rob
    Famous last words.....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well…my old man was fond of telling me I could break a steel anvil with a glass hammer…

Life happened, so I’ll check the switch tomorrow.

Thanks again!
    Deb and Bill
    2024 Imagine XLS 23LDE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Famous last words.....
    Would you mind elaborating on that? Seeing this post I realized I have never actually tested mine but do recall reading somewhere that pulling the pin can cause damage, but I cannot recall why, how, or what could be damaged. I assume those are not meant to be one-time-use devices that require replacement once activated?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Would you mind elaborating on that? Seeing this post I realized I have never actually tested mine but do recall reading somewhere that pulling the pin can cause damage, but I cannot recall why, how, or what could be damaged. I assume those are not meant to be one-time-use devices that require replacement once activated?
    Just my screwed up sense of humour.
    It was posted in jest, partially serious. The jest part, when someone says it won't hurt or damage something...murphy shows up and something happens.
    The serious part? It is not common for that pin to be pulled as intended by your trailer breaking away. So very few people actually test it. I'm guilty of not annually checking it. So it can get stuck in there and while it has not happened to me, I have read over the years of it happening to some people that it broke when pulling it - the keyed tip breaking, lanyard attachment point breaking, that kind of thing. Sooo...test it...but not the day you are leaving.
    And no it isn't a one time use item, although if it ever comes into play in a real life situation, it will probably end up in the junkyard with the rest of the RV after being used once.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Just my screwed up sense of humour.
    It was posted in jest, partially serious. The jest part, when someone says it won't hurt or damage something...murphy shows up and something happens.
    The serious part? It is not common for that pin to be pulled as intended by your trailer breaking away. So very few people actually test it. I'm guilty of not annually checking it. So it can get stuck in there and while it has not happened to me, I have read over the years of it happening to some people that it broke when pulling it - the keyed tip breaking, lanyard attachment point breaking, that kind of thing. Sooo...test it...but not the day you are leaving.
    And no it isn't a one time use item, although if it ever comes into play in a real life situation, it will probably end up in the junkyard with the rest of the RV after being used once.
    Haha! Got it. Okay, I'll have to test mine too. Now that you mention it, I do recall reading that the plastic pin sometimes breaks. I suppose after a while in the sun it get brittle like most plastic. Thanks for the response. Good humor.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I would suggest, and this may be an "obvious" thing to most......but when you pull it to do the test, make sure that you pull it STRAIGHT out and NOT at an angle. I would think that would go a long way towards it NOT breaking when being pulled out.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast