Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12volt 30amp Bussmann Short Stop Breakers

We have a new 2015 Grand Design Reflection 313 RLTS travel trailer. A strange think happened 2 days ago. We had no 12 volt service for our 3 slides and anything else that was 12 volt service inside the trailer. However, the trailer 12volt electric jack still worked and the electric stabilizers still worked. We could not figure out the problem, so we took it to the dealer service dept.

They said the 12 volt 30amp Bussmann Breaker was defective and they replaced it with a new one (these are the 12 volt breakers behind the battery box on the frame rail. OK, I was curious today, so I crawled under the trailer and looked at what the service people had been telling me what they did (replace a Bussmann 12 volt 30amp breaker.

From what I found, I think the Grand Design dealer service people may have been mistaken in what they did(I am being kind to them ). What I found was 2 12volt 30amp Bussmann breakers on the frame rail. However, one of the breakers had all of the wires that had been attached to it removed and apparently now attached to the other 12vol 30amp Bussman breaker. Not only that, the service people had removed the weather proof breaker covers, so the breakers and wiring points are now exposed to the weather.

It appears to me that the Dealer Service personnel did in fact not install a new breaker, but just removed the wires from the failed breaker and attached them along with the existing wires on the still good breaker, and then told me that they installed a new breaker when they actually did not.

I am thinking that they have now created a possible dangerous condition by overloading the still good breaker for wires & loads that may be too great for it. And the removal of the weather proof covers from the breakers will cause contamination / corrosion of the breakers and wiring at the attachment points.

I really do not trust this dealers service department in light of this situation and am tempted to correct this problem myself rather than trusting this dealers service dept to correct it. ***However, I am not sure of which wires are supposed to be on 12v 30amp breaker 1 and b12v 30amp breaker 2 since I don't know how those wires were attached pevious to the dealer moving them.

........I think maybe one of the 12v 30amp breakers was for the 12V trailer jack and stabilizers, and the other 12v 30amp breakers feed the electric slides and other 12v electric in the inside of the trailer. But I cannot be sure as I have no wiring diagram.

new Bussmann 12v 30amp breakers and new covers are availabe on Amazon. So I am tempted to order a couple new 12v 30amp breakers and covers from Amazon and install them myself. However not having a wiring diagram is making it more difficult.

Does anyone have more information concerning these 2 12v 30amp breakers and what each one services so I can get this wiring back to what it is supposed to be with new breakers?????? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The attached is what I've determined for our 337...yours may be different. The problem you mention is consistent with the battery disconnect in the off position or faulty.

Dave

Edit: For clarification, the TV 12V power is the charging line from the 7 way plug and tow vehicle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12V Power copy.jpg  
    Last edited by Dave and Monica; 11-12-2015 at 09:18 PM.
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave,
    Thank you so much for the info and photo of your 12volt 30amp Bussmann Breaker(s) wiring!!!!!! Mine is not eactly like that in my 313 TT, but sure give me an idea of how to start 'sorting this out'.

**** I will take a photo of my 12v 30 amp breakers as they are now and post it. From you photo and remembering what I saw late yesterday when I crawled under the trailer, the dealer service dept now only has the one black lead connected to the faulty 12v 30 amp breaker(this is probably the lead(one of them to the battery disconnect switch). That is now the only wire connected to the one (faulty) 12v 30amp beaker. *****I also wondered why the battery disconnect switch now does not seem to do anything????????? Now I know why!!!!! It is not connected to anything now.

****I am going to try to fix this situation myself as I no longer trust the dealer service dept. because of this situation and if I fix it myself, at least I will know what I have. ****I will also ask the Grand Design rep on this site if they can give me the exact wiring diagram for these 12v 30amp breakers so I can be sure that I wire it back the way it came from the factory.

Thanks again Alan

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one fail in my Momentum which controlled some 12v lights AND the emergency brake disconnect. My rig has 4 of these from 50a to 25a and I now carry spares in case of future failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    I had one fail in my Momentum which controlled some 12v lights AND the emergency brake disconnect. My rig has 4 of these from 50a to 25a and I now carry spares in case of future failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am ordering spare 12Volt Bussmann Breakers on rush order right now!!!!!!!!