Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    The go-to 16" heavy duty RV tire is the Goodyear G614. I paid $1,400 for a set of four with an extended warranty. No sales tax in Oregon so that made it less expensive. Most tire shops sell them. A less expensive alternative is the Sailun S637. These are more difficult to find but many have reported they are great tires as well.
    Do you need to change the wheels?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    Do you need to change the wheels?
    Welcome to the forum Malco1! The wheels provided by Lions Head Wheel (Grand Design's supplier) will handle the increased air pressure of the G614 tires as long as high pressure metal valve stems are installed.

Jim

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These picts are from my 2015 Reflection.
    Are they Lions Head wheels?

Side question, does anyone get the spare switched into service for a worn tire?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire DS1 IMG_0037.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	7855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel IMG_0005.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	7856

Thanks,

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    These picts are from my 2015 Reflection.
    Are they Lions Head wheels?

Side question, does anyone get the spare switched into service for a worn tire?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire DS1 IMG_0037.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	7855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel IMG_0005.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	7856

Thanks,

Gene
    Gene, those are wheels that are supplied by Lion's Head. As far as I know, GD has used Lion's Head since their inception.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does being in contact with the ground vs. wood or a plastic cutting board do to the tires?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put Sailun S637's on my Montana after a blowout on a 5 mile long bridge. I did a ton of research and for the Money the Sailun's won out. The GoodYears were twice the money, I couldn't justify it after talking to some on the Montana site that full timed and were Sailun uber fan's . My on order 635 RES comes with the Westlake tires but I expect to change out when I upgrade to the 8K axles and disc brakes , also planning on adding Shocks to the Solitude , My 2 Cents

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an opinion

It's pretty much just that as I have no scientific data to support my suppositions.

1. Quality of tire should directly reflect the distance you tow. If you tow lots and lots get really good tires. If you tow from the house to the lake twice a year whatever is just fine.

2. If you park your RV for a long time think about blocking it and taking the tires off. I don't really know why, just sounded good.

3. Moisture is bad for tires. I don't know why, just is. So if you don't have a moisture barrier on a tire and it sits for a long time then the bottom of the tire will get soggy. Ok, it really won't, but it could get an meniscal amount of greater deterioration on one side of the tire. That's why people put the tires on some type of moisture barrier.

4. Sun will rot tires. Well not exactly correct, but putting covers over the tires if they get a lot of sunlight will prevent them from dry rotting, getting cracks, etc.

5. My grandpa told me that we have to move the farm equipment every so often to prevent the tires from getting flat spots on them. In 1969 I think there was a lot of truth in that. But I think tire construction has improved a bit since then. After leaving a tire set on the ground for a month or two I have not experienced in thumpa-thumpa-thumpa for several years.

I guess I really shouldn't have posted on this, I don't have much experience with tires setting still. Mine tend to move a lot.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Monica View Post
    For those Solitude and Momentum owners, 16" LT load range E tires are not an option for you as the tire load rating would be insufficient (3042#) with your 7000# axles. You would need to look at LT load range G (or higher) to have sufficient load capacity and yes they're expensive...

Dave
    Why then did my 385TH Momentum come with E rated tires, that makes no scence

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter c View Post
    Why then did my 385TH Momentum come with E rated tires, that makes no scence
    Peter c - Your Momentum would come with ST (trailer) tires where load range E is higher than it is for LT (truck) load range E tires.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Peter C - Here is the difference between trailer and truck tires from the same size and load range:

Truck tire LT235/85R16 (E) = 3,042 pounds
    Trailer tire ST235/85R16 (E) = 3,640 pounds

As you can see, with the exact same size tire in the same load range, the trailer tire can handle 598 pounds more than the light truck tire. On a 7,000 pound trailer axle, the trailer tire has adequate capacity for the axle. The truck tire does not.

JIm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12