User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RV Covers

airboss

RV Covers

Hello. We're not new to RVing but new to this forum. We bought a Reflection 337RLS in December, to replace our Challenger 5th wheel we used for 8 years. We store the unit outdoors during winter in Tucson, AZ. The sun and wind can beat the heck out of the finish. I've heard some pros and cons about covers but would like to revisit the issue with this forum with the goal to protect this new unit the best we can. My question is: What experience, with RV covers either positive or negative, can any of you convey to me? And a follow-on question: What cover can you recommend? Thanks.
    Last edited by airboss; 01-21-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a couple RV covers wear the paint off the end caps. I think the best cover is a big barn
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The winds here in Las Vegas do a number to covers. Not only do they eventually tear/rip but they constantly rub on the coach's exterior. Also, the drain extensions can only take so much before breaking/falling off. Indoor storage or in my case, keep the exterior clean and polished regularly.
    Zac and Charlene
    Frank and Bella (four-legged kids)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS- SteadyFast stabilizers, Oxygenics shower head, residential sink faucet, residential mattress.
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT- EFI Live, MBRP 4" exhaust, LBZ mouthpiece, AirLift Airbags, RDS 60G combo aux tank, and B&W turnover/Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel

airboss
    Thank you, Zac and LC, for your input.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we bought our 303, we bit the bullet and went with covered storage. Not cheap, but the sun just killed the outside of our 5 year old Jayco TT.
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Living in Sunny Arizona, I got tired of faded and cracked decals and dried out seals around the roof. So I bit the bullet and bought a cover for my last FW. OMG! The first time we attempted to put it on, we found out what a big mistake it was.

I got up on the roof, and the little woman started passing it up to me while I pulled. About half way through the ordeal, a little breeze caught the cover and created a para sail. It started to pull me off the roof, and since I was at least 12 foot up, I decided to let go and not fly over the house.

So, we started all over again. This time, the breeze held off, and we got it up on the roof. Now to spread it out and get it secured. While walking across it, I got a little distracted and put my foot through a roof vent. So now I'm sitting/squating with one leg inside the RV, and the other at an angle that I didn't know humans were capable of. I was able to extricate myself and get the cover straightened out. Now it was time to secure it.

The tie down straps all seemed to be at an inconvenient place. There'd be a tire at one spot, a pipe at another, etc. But we finally got it in place, and secured! It was a good hour from start to finish. It worked pretty well for a while.

Then it was time to take it off for a weekend trip. We unhooked all the straps and started tugging. Nope. Ain't gonna work. It's hooked on the antenna. So I had to crawl back on the roof, but the ladder was covered by the cover. So I was able to lift part of the cover so I could go up the ladder. I finally made it up, and cleared the snag. Now, I cleared snags while the little woman pulled. After about 30 minutes, we got it off and tried to fold it and put it away. Let me just say that this is like folding the largest fitted sheet you've ever seen. We gave up, and just wadded it up and left it on the patio.

After a three day weekend, it was time to repeat the process. Another hour, and we had it back on. Two weeks later, the wind picked up and ripped it to shreds. We both quietly celebrated while we stuffed our $300+ cover in the trash can. Never again will we make this mistake.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you answered a question I was considering asking! Thanks for settling this for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandolin57
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Living in Sunny Arizona, I got tired of faded and cracked decals and dried out seals around the roof. So I bit the bullet and bought a cover for my last FW. OMG! The first time we attempted to put it on, we found out what a big mistake it was.

I got up on the roof, and the little woman started passing it up to me while I pulled. About half way through the ordeal, a little breeze caught the cover and created a para sail. It started to pull me off the roof, and since I was at least 12 foot up, I decided to let go and not fly over the house.

So, we started all over again. This time, the breeze held off, and we got it up on the roof. Now to spread it out and get it secured. While walking across it, I got a little distracted and put my foot through a roof vent. So now I'm sitting/squating with one leg inside the RV, and the other at an angle that I didn't know humans were capable of. I was able to extricate myself and get the cover straightened out. Now it was time to secure it.

The tie down straps all seemed to be at an inconvenient place. There'd be a tire at one spot, a pipe at another, etc. But we finally got it in place, and secured! It was a good hour from start to finish. It worked pretty well for a while.

Then it was time to take it off for a weekend trip. We unhooked all the straps and started tugging. Nope. Ain't gonna work. It's hooked on the antenna. So I had to crawl back on the roof, but the ladder was covered by the cover. So I was able to lift part of the cover so I could go up the ladder. I finally made it up, and cleared the snag. Now, I cleared snags while the little woman pulled. After about 30 minutes, we got it off and tried to fold it and put it away. Let me just say that this is like folding the largest fitted sheet you've ever seen. We gave up, and just wadded it up and left it on the patio.

After a three day weekend, it was time to repeat the process. Another hour, and we had it back on. Two weeks later, the wind picked up and ripped it to shreds. We both quietly celebrated while we stuffed our $300+ cover in the trash can. Never again will we make this mistake.

Jim
    Geez Jim, I'm cracking up at this! We've used a cover every winter for the last 4 years, and while it has been a challenge the last 2 years with the Solitude, I feel pretty good that we managed to get this on and off without a major disaster! I can tell you're not fond of these, but seriously we didn't have as much of an ordeal with ours, and it has helped. I know what you mean about the parasailing though.......it's hard to control even in a slight wind! You should have been a humorist.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't live in sunny AZ but have been considering a cover for my 303, but I don't like getting on the roof and I watched someone this fall putting his cover on by himself in the wind. He had a similar experience as you did. Now that I've read your funny (too me, probably not you at the time) story no cover for me. Wax on....Wax off!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim,

What a great first hand description of the "process" . . . and a great read .
    I have a similar sized cover that I wrestle over my boat each year, so I can relate to your experience.

You have confirmed my decision NOT to put an RV cover on my wish list !

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast