Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member Jerry & Barbara's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If going with the new Autoformer, do I need anything else with it? I understand I need a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter in case only 30 amp service is available. Do I need any other cables with the Autoformer? Does the unit come with a cable, and is it long enough for most applications?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry & Barbara View Post
    If going with the new Autoformer, do I need anything else with it? I understand I need a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter in case only 30 amp service is available. Do I need any other cables with the Autoformer? Does the unit come with a cable, and is it long enough for most applications?
    You don't need anything else if you plan on using it at the power pole. If you install it inside your unit, you'll need to get the kit for that purpose. The kit comes with an electrical box to attach to your input line, and a power cord to attach to your junction box.

I called Hughes to find out what they meant when they said it must be installed in a "well ventilated area", and they said that as long as you had about 6" of clearance around the box you'd be ok. I installed my inside my 384GK behind the wall where the power cord comes in. There was ample room for it. I'm considering cutting a hole in the board that separates the cargo area from all the wires so that I can see the front of the Hughes Auto Former (it's got a bunch of lights to let you know what it's doing), or connect the partition with magnets so I can pop it off and take a look. For now I'm good with it as it is. The kit also came with a volt meter you can plug into one of your electrical sockets to see what kind of power is coming into your unit. It also came with a lock (bicycle type) to lock it to the power post outside if that's the option you go with.

I've got it plugged into my house on a 30A connection and it's working without having to boost anything = all green lights.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by COLRetired; 03-06-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added something I'd forgotten.
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the PI EMS 50amp unit but we are in a RV park (Sunrise at Clint's Well/Long Valley/Happy Jack, AZ) with serious low voltage issues. Will be adding a autoformer - the newer 50 amp with surge. External autoformer to internal PI EMS....

Appears Tweetys has good prices on these units...

/ed
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Pete,

Are you using an EMS with your autoformer or just a surge protector? Which is in line first?

Thanks,

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cszajna View Post
    So Pete,

Are you using an EMS with your autoformer or just a surge protector? Which is in line first?

Thanks,

Chris.
    Hey Chris - I use the surge protector then the autoformer. My thought is simple; before I plug my expensive autoformer into the outlet I want to know that wiring is correct. Once I've ensured all is good to go then I add the rest on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 RAM 2500 MegaCab Cummins
    2016 Reflection 30BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the autoformer. The SKU#: RV220-50SP model comes with a built in surge protector so I only went with it and I returned the EMS that I'd purchased.

Here's the link to the model I purchased.

https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ter-and-surge/

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both 50 amp autoformer and 50 amp EMS. My Autoformer is model RV220-50 without the surge protector. My EMS-PT50X has surge protection.

I initially purchased the EMS. When I plugged into my friend's 30 amp service at his barn the voltage drop was so severe that the EMS wouldn't pass voltage.

I then purchased a 30 amp Autoformer as a gift for him since when I'm not plugged in he plugs his motorhome in. Prior to the Autoformer he has lost the AC motor burned up in his motorhome. With the Autoformer it boosts max 10% and runs about 110-114 vac.

I then bought the Autoformer RV220-50 for when on the road and I need a boost. It doesn't have surge protection but the EMS does. So I plug the Autoformer -> EMS -> RV.

I like the fact that the EMS will shut down power with grounding issues, high/low voltage, and has an amperage display. Eventually I may sell the PT-50X and buy a hard wired version.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still bundling a list of must haves for when we buy I'm thand the Autofromer with surge seems to fit the bill. Just to clarify, we would just use a 30 amp dogbone to connect with the pole, unless we get a 50 amp service? Also, is anyone nervous about leaving a $600 item outside or do you lock it up somehow?

Thanks, still lurking and earning

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just in a park where these were necessary. Everyone one I saw outside was locked to the power pedestals...
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopperud View Post
    I am still bundling a list of must haves for when we buy I'm thand the Autofromer with surge seems to fit the bill. Just to clarify, we would just use a 30 amp dogbone to connect with the pole, unless we get a 50 amp service? Also, is anyone nervous about leaving a $600 item outside or do you lock it up somehow?

Thanks, still lurking and earning
    Yes, use a dogbone for 30amp service or even 15/20amp service. I have used a 15amp to 50am dogbone at home to the autoformer and it works fine.

The autoformer comes with a combination cable lock but I replaced the cable lock with a longer thicker one (six foot I think) and a keyed padlock with the same key I use to lock up my bicycles. The combination lock is a pain to use where I use my autoformer (underneath the camper).

I keep autoformer (new model with surge protection) in a opaque plastic tub underneath the 5th wheel, and cable lock it to the camper. The cord on the autoformer is only 4-5 feet or so. I have a 25' 50amp extension cord and most of the time I run the extension cord from the pedestal into the tub connected to the autoformer, and then that camper 50amp cord from the autoformer to the camper. When I pack up I just roll the extention cord into the tub with autoformer store the tub in my front basement storage.

This setup accomplished 4 things. 1) Keeps the autoformer out of sight, you can only see a cord running under the camper into the tub. 2) Keeps the autoformer out of water (instructions say not to let the autoformer sit in pooled water). 3) Keeps the 50amp cable connections out of water since they are also in the tub. 4) Keeps the autoformer cool as the tub is open at the top allowing heat to dissipate.

John
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast