Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Autoformer or Not to Autoformer

So I've read a lot of back and forth on this. I'm considering buying a Hughes autoformer. I'd like some insights from those that have experience with park voltage.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some kind of surge protector is mandatory IMO. This after we had a surge that took out the microwave, 2 fireplaces and a few other small items. Happened in a previous trailer a few years back. Haven't been without one since and haven't had a single issue... Luck or design you choose!

The Hughes is a solid choice from what I have read and heard.
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. Based on all the input and some more reading I am using the a surge protector AND the autoformer . Overkill I'm sure but I'm naturally paranoid like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 RAM 2500 MegaCab Cummins
    2016 Reflection 30BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hughes now offers an new version of the Autoformer with built in surge protection.
    https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ter-and-surge/
    I've had the old 50Amp Autoformer for 14 years and it has been a great asset, unfortunately I took a very close hit from a lightning strike about 8 months ago and it cooked one leg.
    I'm seriously considering the new unit as its cost is less that buying a Surge Guard and repairing or replacing my Autoformer.
    Thought I'd check and see if anyone on the forum has tried the new unit.
    Paul B.
    2017 315RLTS
    2002 GMC 3500
    2012 Harley Ultra w/ MotorTrike conversion

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfrasco View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. Based on all the input and some more reading I am using the a surge protector AND the autoformer . Overkill I'm sure but I'm naturally paranoid like that.

I have used and always installed inside the camper a surge protector and autoformer. I would not plug in the RV without both.

The Question... To put the surge protector first or the autoformer in the circuit. I have always had the surge protector first but I have heard others have the autoformer first?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, What does an autoformer do ???????

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    It steps up the Voltage. So if you have low voltage coming into the camper with will boost it up to a safe voltage.

Some campgrounds will go cheap and only have one or very few transformers to power the entire campground. Then you have a full campground and all them people are sucking up the amps. Well this will cause a low voltage issue and can damage equip and cause fires. Low Voltage = More Amps = Hot wires.

https://hughesautoformers.com/autofo...an-autoformer/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    In my experience over the last year, I have needed it and thus it paid for itself the first year.

2015 RAM 2500 MegaCab Cummins
    2016 Reflection 30BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very interested in what everyone thinks regarding this as well. I just purchased a Progressive EMS-HW50C RV Surge protector. I don't pick up my Solitude until next Saturday, and from reading what everyone has recommended on other threads, a surge protector is a must have. Now that I know that Hughes autoformer also has a built in surge protector I'm tempted to return the Progressive surge protector and purchase the autoformer with the built in surge protector. I purchase it off of Amazon, so NBD on returning it.
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Hughes Autoformer with built in surge protection as far as how it protects the RV vs. the surge protection in the Progressive system?
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COLRetired View Post
    I'm very interested in what everyone thinks regarding this as well. I just purchased a Progressive EMS-HW50C RV Surge protector. I don't pick up my Solitude until next Saturday, and from reading what everyone has recommended on other threads, a surge protector is a must have. Now that I know that Hughes autoformer also has a built in surge protector I'm tempted to return the Progressive surge protector and purchase the autoformer with the built in surge protector. I purchase it off of Amazon, so NBD on returning it.
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Hughes Autoformer with built in surge protection as far as how it protects the RV vs. the surge protection in the Progressive system?
    Pete,

The Progressive Industries EMS just monitors the electric and if it goes out of range, high or low, it shuts down power to your coach.

Looking at the new autotransformer w/surge protection, it boosts voltage when it drops below a threshold and protects from certain surges. It doesn't protect from high voltage at the power pole.

The best of both worlds would be to install BOTH. First the Autotransformer in line then the EMS next.

Personally I'd be more concerned with low voltage or a brown out rather than a constant high voltage at the power pole.

Personally if I were to choose between the 2 devices I'd probobly get the Autotransformer w/surge protection and verify shore power is correct before plugging in.

The Autotransformer is bigger and heavy. If permanently installed they recommend it be installed in a "well ventilated compartment."
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast