User Tag List

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Well, I have to eat some serious crow here. After posting the above two days ago chastising people for getting rid of their Westlake tires, guess what happened? I went out to get the trailer ready this morning. I found one of the Westlake tires with the tread separating (see photo below). The tire itself is 3 years 4 months old and I've had the trailer 2 years and 10 months since buying new. I now have to agree that these CHINESE tires are JUNK! To make matters worse we locked our truck keys in our truck along with my phone that has the OnStar app to be able to unlock the doors. I finally called OnStar after slinging some choice words around the RV park (no children around I hope) and they unlocked the doors for me.

Mounted the spare tire and limped 50 miles to Show Low, AZ where they have a Discount Tire. Manager took one look at the Westlakes and said "Oh yeah, those." I bought 4 new Goodyear Endurance. He raved about them and said they've had "phenomenal" luck with them. Show Low is a big RV destination and he handles lots of trailer tires. Lesson learned. I'm not saying another kind word about Westlake tires. It didn't lose any air pressure and I only caught it early before blowing it because the bubbled side wasn't on the ground. Feel like I dodged a bullet. Goodyears made in USA. I'll never buy another Chinese junk tire.

Attachment 15570
    Attachment 15571
    Attachment 15569
    I've got to say ... I think what makes this site one of my favorite to read is that everyone (thanks Leon T) is willing, and more importantly they take the initiative to let others know about what works and what doesn't, especially if it happened to them. They generally do this without malice or ill intent and in an effort to share. One of the most important things I learned in the military was effectively using the after action report (AAR) to improve your training/experience by learning what worked and what didn't work. The members of this forum (and I especially liked the rookie mistakes thread, really made me smile and has saved me from making the same mistakes myself) have made the RVing experience that much more enjoyable foe everyone because of of their willingness to provide thoughtful insight and share the experiences they've gained with others.

I salute you all!

A bit of trivia (at least one interpretation of it) ... a salute is an adaptation of what knights would do when they met someone they knew. They would raised the shield covering their face (when they had armor over their head and face) to let their friends know they recognized them. Their friends would do likewise = raise their shields to show their faces ... it was a way to say we're on the same side = I've got your back.
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had read somewhere sometime that shaking hands started as a way to show you were friendly and had no weapon in your hand.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete - First...thank you for serving this great nation. My grandfather served in both WWI and WWII and was a highly decorated combat vet with the Army and later the Air Force when they branched off. He was a real warrior. My dad served in the Korean War on a Navy battleship and after the war went into federal law enforcement. I went into federal law enforcement while a young buck. My oldest son was an Army Infantryman. But I digress...

The timing of this tire going bad was hilarious. I told my wife that I had just been bashing people on the GD forum who were trash talking Westlake tires. She just gave me that look, like I'm sure many of you have gotten. Looking back on this now I would replace the Westlakes at 2 years rather than trying to get 4 out of them. I wish more companies would use products made in the USA. I would happily pay a few hundred more for a trailer that had USA built tires on it.

Lastly, I used my levelers to lift the left side of the trailer so I didn't have to use a jack to replace the bad tire. I put blocks under the rear leveler to give it the necessary height capability. Trailer wasn't hooked to the truck. Not saying this is the best method, but it was fast, easy and worked for me.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Well, I have to eat some serious crow here. After posting the above two days ago chastising people for getting rid of their Westlake tires, guess what happened? I went out to get the trailer ready this morning. I found one of the Westlake tires with the tread separating (see photo below). The tire itself is 3 years 4 months old and I've had the trailer 2 years and 10 months since buying new. I now have to agree that these CHINESE tires are JUNK! To make matters worse we locked our truck keys in our truck along with my phone that has the OnStar app to be able to unlock the doors. I finally called OnStar after slinging some choice words around the RV park (no children around I hope) and they unlocked the doors for me.

Mounted the spare tire and limped 50 miles to Show Low, AZ where they have a Discount Tire. Manager took one look at the Westlakes and said "Oh yeah, those." I bought 4 new Goodyear Endurance. He raved about them and said they've had "phenomenal" luck with them. Show Low is a big RV destination and he handles lots of trailer tires. Lesson learned. I'm not saying another kind word about Westlake tires. It didn't lose any air pressure and I only caught it early before blowing it because the bubbled side wasn't on the ground. Feel like I dodged a bullet. Goodyears made in USA. I'll never buy another Chinese junk tire.

Attachment 15570
    Attachment 15571
    Attachment 15569
    CHINESE tires are not all junk - Westlakes and TowMax are notorious for thier failure rate. On the other hand, Sailuns are Chinese manufactured and are the most bullet proof trailer tire I have ever used. I am talking specifically about the Sailun ST tires - I've used them on two fivers over thousands of miles and they are trouble free.

Also, Goodyear manufactures tires all over the world - where were yours made?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    CHINESE tires are not all junk - Westlakes and TowMax are notorious for thier failure rate. On the other hand, Sailuns are Chinese manufactured and are the most bullet proof trailer tire I have ever used. I am talking specifically about the Sailun LT tires - I've used them on two fivers over thousands of miles and they are trouble free.

Also, Goodyear manufactures tires all over the world - where were yours made?
    Mine were manufactured in the United States (see picture I posted). I don't know a thing about the Sailun tires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my exact formula and it's worked for two different fivers over tens of thousands of miles. One other thing you may wish to consider is this: many people think it's not necessary to balance trailer tires. I think they are wrong - an out of balance tire is a problem, even on a trailer. I use Centramatic dynamic balancers - not cheap but worth it in ride and tire longevity. I use them on my trucks and trailers and I think they work. Just a suggestion.
    Can you tell me which part number for the Centramatic dynamic balancers did you purchase and where? I have a 318 Reflection 5'er with the 16 in 6 bolt rims Assuming you have the same.
    Thanks in advance for the reply.
    Tim Rutledge
    Phoenix, AZ
    2107 Reflection 318rst
    2106 Chevy 2500HD Z72 4x4 Duramax
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmrut5 View Post
    Can you tell me which part number for the Centramatic dynamic balancers did you purchase and where? I have a 318 Reflection 5'er with the 16 in 6 bolt rims Assuming you have the same.
    Thanks in advance for the reply.
    Here's the link to the Centramatic site - lots of good info and the # is in the upper right corner. They'll want to know the size of the wheel and what the bolt pattern is. They're also very helpful with any questions you may have. They sell direct.

I have 16 x 8 bolt rims, so yours will be different.

http://www.centramatic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the link to the Centramatic site - lots of good info and the # is in the upper right corner. They'll want to know the size of the wheel and what the bolt pattern is. They're also very helpful with any questions you may have. They sell direct.

I have 16 x 8 bolt rims, so yours will be different.

http://www.centramatic.com
    Got it thanks. I will give them a call
    Tim Rutledge
    Phoenix, AZ
    2107 Reflection 318rst
    2106 Chevy 2500HD Z72 4x4 Duramax
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223