User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Litter Boxes

Art&Brenda

Litter Boxes

Hi Everyone - my husband & I are awaiting arrival of our Reflection 303RLS & will become full-timers as soon as our home sells. We've been camping for many years with our dogs, but never our 3 cats. I read the threads on litter box ideas, and they are great. The type of camping we're used to has allowed our dogs to be off-leash. I'm sure that will change for Red & Suzy as we take up the workkamping lifestyle. I am hoping that some campgrounds have dog parks - or we will be able to find dog parks close by, so Red & Suzy can be off-leash at times. I was wondering too if anyone traveling with cats has experienced clawing on the screens? We love the large windows in the 303RLS - and even though I clip our cats nails on a regular basis, I still have a concern for the screens. Also - does anyone leave their cats loose in the 5th wheel while on the road - if so, how did they take to it?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine the average cat tolerating riding in the closed and hot trailer very well. For the screen, some folks attach a sheet of plastic to the door to protect the screen. Use spacers to allow air to come through.
    Steve Jewell
    2016 337RLS
    2014 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer is a violent place when travelling. We would never leave a dog or cat back there! Our three travel with us in the truck and the cat travels in her crate, by her choice. We don't even have to close the door. This is her "safe place".

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Art&Brenda
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The trailer is a violent place when travelling. We would never leave a dog or cat back there! Our three travel with us in the truck and the cat travels in her crate, by her choice. We don't even have to close the door. This is her "safe place".

Rob
    Have you been in the 5th wheel during road travel? I don't know how violent the bedroom area is during travel since it's over the truck bed. We were thinking of having the cats in carriers in the bedroom. I told Art that I want to ride in the 5th wheel to experience it for myself. The back seat in our F250 does not have enough room to accommodate 3 cats, along with our 2 dogs; our Suzy is a moose. The warmth issue brought up by the previous responder, should there be one, can be addressed.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Art/Brenda--see this link and my post #1 and feedback shared from others and me (some useful and some otherwise fun spirited) http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...hlight=glasses

Rob is a very sharp guy offering considerable outstanding feedback and I think he may be referencing the very rough road conditions he has encountered. This said, I think the ride of our RVs is much smoother than we imagine.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Art&Brenda
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Art/Brenda--see this link and my post #1 and feedback shared from others and me (some useful and some otherwise fun spirited) http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...hlight=glasses

Rob is a very sharp guy offering considerable outstanding feedback and I think he may be referencing the very rough road conditions he has encountered. This said, I think the ride of our RVs is much smoother than we imagine.

Dan
    Thanks Dan -- I appreciate your comment & will definitely check out your link. Art reminded me of the Hornet 5th wheel we traveled with many years ago with our cat, Izzy. Izzy rode in a carrier in the bedroom of the 5th wheel & traveled great -- and that Hornet was nowhere near the quality, nor had the suspension, that the 303RLS does. I think our 3 will travel fine in their carriers in the bedroom.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Brenda View Post
    Have you been in the 5th wheel during road travel? I don't know how violent the bedroom area is during travel since it's over the truck bed. We were thinking of having the cats in carriers in the bedroom. I told Art that I want to ride in the 5th wheel to experience it for myself. The back seat in our F250 does not have enough room to accommodate 3 cats, along with our 2 dogs; our Suzy is a moose. The warmth issue brought up by the previous responder, should there be one, can be addressed.
    Brenda,
    I have never travelled in the 5th wheel, but have had occasion to be in there parked on the side of the road while being passed by 18 wheelers at highway speed. This noise/motion would be too much for our pets. If you intend to do this, I think you should travel with them in the trailer for at least a little while to see how they react.

Dan,
    Thanks for the kind comments and you are correct . . . my perspective is based on carefully opening the trailer after travelling Ohio/Michigan Interstates and having to put many things back into their cabinets. Someone (LC maybe?) made the observation that our trailers encounter "earthquake" events on every trip. I would agree with this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sit in the closed up the trailer in the summertime for about an hour or two, and then decide if an animal can take it.
    Steve Jewell
    2016 337RLS
    2014 RAM 2500

melkenlemons
    Isn't it illegal in many if not most to ride in the 5th wheel?, Plus gets pretty hot back there, wouldn't travel with pets in it either.

2016 337 RLS, RAM 2500

rla26368
    I would imagine that some exhaust fumes from your tow vehicle could enter into the rig during transit, that said, it's probably not advisable to leave living creatures in the rig while in transit. If too much exhaust were to enter the rig somehow, then you may arrive at your destination to find a very unpleasant situation inside the rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast