Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onan Cummins Generator Install

Hi Everyone, Just got our 377MB-R last week, we ordered it with Gen prep and I'm wondering if anyone has installed an Onan-Cummins generator themselves. It looks fairly easy, already has the wiring to the control panel, automatic transfer switch, isolation box, and cutouts for the air intake/exhaust. Looks like all I would have to do is drop it in, bolt it down and run an lp line. Anybody with first hand knowledge out there?

ps, I did try searching and couldn't find a thread with the answers I was looking for. Sorry if this is a dup!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't be too hard, our dealer installed an Onan in about an hour to 90 minutes. The hardest part looked like lifting the generator into the bay.

Our dealer claimed they could purchase and install the generator for less than the generator option from Grand Design.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm thinking, at close to 300# and not a lot of room to work with, it might be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed my Onan 5500 in our solitude my self. I picked up the generator in my ford ranger, I then backed up to our Solitude leaving about a foot of space between. I took some 2x4's and made a shelf between the truck and trailer. With help from my son and a couple of friends we slid the generator into the solitude compartment, we also laid some wood on the inside of the compartment for the gen. to sit on so as not to damage the lower lip in the front comp. once the gen. was in we lifted it up slightly and removed the wood. the mounting holes on the bottom lined up perfectly to mount it.
    Dave and Darlene
    West Jordan Utah
    2015 Solitude 379 FL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hart_attack View Post
    Hi Everyone, Just got our 377MB-R last week, we ordered it with Gen prep and I'm wondering if anyone has installed an Onan-Cummins generator themselves. It looks fairly easy, already has the wiring to the control panel, automatic transfer switch, isolation box, and cutouts for the air intake/exhaust. Looks like all I would have to do is drop it in, bolt it down and run an lp line. Anybody with first hand knowledge out there?

ps, I did try searching and couldn't find a thread with the answers I was looking for. Sorry if this is a dup!
    I don't think you'll have much trouble, as others have said, short of getting it up and in. I can hardly get my 68 lb batteries up and in anymore I was thinking a ramp or setup like Dave did.

In reference to Colan's comment, how much did the gen prep cost?

Did you already buy your Onan? I got an awesome price with free shipping from Norwall Power Systems http://www.norwall.com/categories/RV...ropane%20(LP)/
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a Onan 7000 EFI. It was a little more work even with the factory prep. The EFI requires a return fuel line and a fuel pump mounted near the tank, so I had to drop the tank and have an additional bung for a pickup welded in. I just ran the fuel line along the other two along with the wires for the fuel pump. Before installation I sound proofed the compartment to help reduce interior noise. To install the generator, my son and I lifted it onto a pneumatic seat. I then lowered the landing gear to match the level and slid it in using a couple of boards to protect the lower lip of the compartment. Once in the hookups are easy. Attach the 2 fuel and 1 vent line, 1 electrical connector. The bolt holes matched perfectly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005 (2).jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	5029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004 (3).jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	5030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006 (3).jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	5031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	071.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	5032

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nice work b727capt! I used similar, if not the same, sound proofing and even added it to the inside of the compartment door. Really my only noise comes from a vent I cut in the door which I may not have even needed.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Nice work b727capt! I used similar, if not the same, sound proofing and even added it to the inside of the compartment door. Really my only noise comes from a vent I cut in the door which I may not have even needed.
    Great Idea! I have a little left, but hadn't considered insulating the door.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b727capt View Post
    Great Idea! I have a little left, but hadn't considered insulating the door.
    A quick pic

2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway Lupaland.Walker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm ready to slide my Onan 3600 into the 366DEN Solitude. Have removed the air panel cutouts in the compartment floor. My question is - does the aluminum base of the Gen just sit right on that thin metal floor? ( then 4 -bolt from underneath).
    And what about that thin, flexible, black panel underneath the compartment metal floor? Cut that away or what? Appreciate the benefit of your experience.
    Joe & Jean
    Prescott, AZ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast