2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for documenting this. Just asked about it so now I can delete my thread. Is your install enough solar to dry camp with? Will it keep your fridge, heat, tv's, lights etc going and keep your batteries up?

Also if you don't mind sharing what equipment did you use and how much do you have invested? Thanks. Great install

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...........we sold our Reflection 303 in November before we had a chance to Dry Camp, and have not completely installed the equipment onto our new 5th wheel yet. So i can't comment on your operational questions with regard to our 303.

I bought a mix of stuff: from Go Power - a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter, 300 amp install kit, Inverter remote control and 30 amp Digital controller. Two 160 watt High Tech Solar panels. One ESCO 50 amp auto switch. And some inter connecting wire. Total cost was $1736.00.

Note: each Solar Panel can put out 9 amps at peak current, times two = 18 amps. If i add one more solar panel it would bring the peak current up to 27 amps (3 panels at 9 amps each), using my current 30 amp Digital Controller that would be the limit. Wish i had bought a larger Solar Digital Controller (50 amp or more) as i know i will add more Solar Panels in the future.

Operation time is a tricky question, how many times a day do you open the refrigerator, how many lights are you turning on, is the TV running 4 hours a day, how many cloudy days in a row, etc. The more batteries you have the longer the run time, but then you need more solar panels to charge those batteries. Notice the equipment i listed above, i did not mention the addition of any batteries, i am thinking about 4 - 6 volt golf cart batteries. However, that may not be enough battery depending on how many days i could be Dry Camping. I did buy two 2000 watt Inverter Generators as backup.

There is a lot to consider and i am not an expert. Just trying to figure it out myself.

Good luck with your setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thanks for the details and pictures. I'm planning something similar.
    Tony & Judy DaVanzo
    Riverside, CA
    2015 Solitude 320x #3626 Plant #1 Line #1
    2016 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Diesel / Aisin Transmission

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit that's about double the cost that I thought it would be to run solar. I obviously haven't researched it much. Probably going to have to start,out,with a portable generator and work into the solar later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have to patch that hole in the black vent pipe to prevent odors? How did yo patch it? Also, I have read some other install instructions and they don't mention a 50 amp auto switch. What I s that for? Excellent photos and looks great on the end of the buffet. Thanks, Chuck

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckandSun View Post
    Do you have to patch that hole in the black vent pipe to prevent odors? How did yo patch it? Also, I have read some other install instructions and they don't mention a 50 amp auto switch. What I s that for? Excellent photos and looks great on the end of the buffet. Thanks, Chuck
    The posts you’re referring to above are over 2 years old, the thread was started 3 years ago, so you might not get a response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    The posts you’re referring to above are over 2 years old, the thread was started 3 years ago, so you might not get a response.

Someone should probably lock this thread, op hasn’t posted in 3 years and there’s been no activity in over two years.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine came down the middle one which is what I was told would happen. Worked out well, good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12