Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Install, 303RLS

Hi all,

I am putting solar panels on the roof of my 303RLS. The only point of entry into the basement would be down the wast tank vent pipe. Issue is, there are 3 black pipes running up the wall and they connect together into 1. Does anyone have know if i run a metal snake from the roof down the pipe, which leg would it come down?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might find some help from this post
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ll=1#post72155
    Tom and Tanya
    Live in Alaska, currently winter in Texas Hill Country.
    303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I did read Poppy's post. The pipes in his 337 have a different path than the 303. I will try the metal snake and I did like the idea of using a T connector. Was just hopping someone else has already figured it out for the 303.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i started installing the solar panels on the roof. I think the roof is plywood as i can see and feel seams between the plywood sections. The front mounts are located about 6 inches back from a seam and i used wood screws. Problem is, most of the screws stripped no bite at all. The rear mounts are all good, no issues bitting into the wood and tightened up nicely. I used Dicor on the bottom of the mounts and then all over the top to insure water proofing. Now what do i do for the front mounts, any suggestions?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broda2675 View Post
    Well, i started installing the solar panels on the roof. I think the roof is plywood as i can see and feel seams between the plywood sections. The front mounts are located about 6 inches back from a seam and i used wood screws. Problem is, most of the screws stripped no bite at all. The rear mounts are all good, no issues bitting into the wood and tightened up nicely. I used Dicor on the bottom of the mounts and then all over the top to insure water proofing. Now what do i do for the front mounts, any suggestions?
    The roof is actually OSB (oriented strand board) so try a slightly bigger diameter screw with a more course thread.

EDIT

... or maybe some sort of molly or even try the match stick trick (wood match stick(s) in hole then drive screw into/next to them)
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Solitude 321. I tried to run down the pipe with a fish tape... it did not work. So I cut the pipe I wanted it to exit, and pushed the tape up. It hit a few curves that I had to work it through. I posted some info on this page http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ll=1#post70400 It is #135
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fisherguy
    I am also in middle of solar install. First phase completed with 6 ea 6volt with 660 AH and 2000watt invert. I have Solitude 369. I have one vent and after removing access panel in storage compartment found that I could go thru next to vent and run wire right into compartment and then into front storage. I will just make sure that entry is well caulked.
    Fisherguy

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim & Sharon, As soon as the Dicor dries i will try the larger screw process and i will add the match stick. I also talked with a carpenter friend and will also add some "Liquid Nail" before inserting the screws.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fisherguy - Holly cow, 6 batteries, I am envious! We are installing two 160 watt solar panels, a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter, 50 amp auto switch, batteries in the future most likely two 6 volt.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i finished the Solar install on the 303RLS. Here are some pics.

Solar panels on the roof; ran the wires down the holding tank vent pipe.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	5347

Removed the 3 draws from the buffet, cut a hole in the side and cut the black vent pipe. The wires from the roof came out in this forward vent pipe, used a tee to help. The 303RLS has three vent pipes in the basement, this was the most difficult to get to.

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	5348

Installed the 50 amp auto switch under the bottom draw of the buffet.

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	5349

Location for the Solar and Inverter Controllers. Ran the wires for these controllers down threw the panel which is onto of the circuit breaker box, and out to the battery.

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	5350

Location for the Inverter.

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	5351

2/0 wires and fuse from the Inverter plus the Solar wires into the front storage compartment. An issue i discovered after installation; the batteries original install had the positive terminal on the left side, that meant the incoming wires ran over the vent caps. Soon i will replace the battery with two 6 volt golf cart batteries and resolve the vent cap issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast