User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had them on our previous travel trailer and it was one of the first things we put on our 337. We got stainless steel ones from Amazon. I have talked with other campers that have had vents blocked by mud daubers. I cannot see any way that they could possibly restrict air flow and feel it is much cheaper than the issues that would arise from blockage.
    https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Screen-Fu...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Rick & Linda
    2018 Silverado 3500 High Country
    SRW Duramax/Allison 4WD
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a fact that a screen reduces air flow. The question is whether or not this restriction is significant enough to limit the ability of the vents to do their job and allow heat (and exhaust fumes) to pass. I have used the screens for years in prior units with no issues.

I have had a mud dauber build a nest in the tiny water ejection port of an outboard motor. The nest went into the tubing and totally blocked water flow. This was an opening the size of a pencil eraser.

I will continue to use the screens, as I believe, (in my area of the country) that the risk of damage without the screens is greater than the risk of having the screens.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any new warnings to add to this old thread about installing bug screens over the furnace vents on the outside wall?

Each of the (too many!!) times our trailer has been returned to the dealer for service, without permission or discussion the dealer has simply removed the bug screen from the side the trailer. Piss me off... the screens are fiddly-enough to put on the first time, let alone after the techs have stretched the springs taking the screen off.

I googled for "risk", "danger", "warning", "problem" with using these bug screens and found nothing at all until this thread came up. There are LOTS of assertions that the screens are a Good and Necessary Thing. This thread seems on balance to confirm that.

Anyone have anything to add?

Thanks in advance.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we bought our previous camper in 2014, the dealer recommended bug screens. When we bought our GD in 2017, same dealer recommended screens. We put them on both campers and haven't had any issues.
    As far as I'm concerned, I'll have them unless the manufacturers of the campers say don't use them.
    2018 Imagine 2800bh
    2018 Ram 2500
    6.4 heni

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jking46 View Post
    When we bought our previous camper in 2014, the dealer recommended bug screens. When we bought our GD in 2017, same dealer recommended screens. We put them on both campers and haven't had any issues.
    As far as I'm concerned, I'll have them unless the manufacturers of the campers say don't use them.
    Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Are there any new warnings to add to this old thread about installing bug screens over the furnace vents on the outside wall?

Each of the (too many!!) times our trailer has been returned to the dealer for service, without permission or discussion the dealer has simply removed the bug screen from the side the trailer. Piss me off... the screens are fiddly-enough to put on the first time, let alone after the techs have stretched the springs taking the screen off.

I googled for "risk", "danger", "warning", "problem" with using these bug screens and found nothing at all until this thread came up. There are LOTS of assertions that the screens are a Good and Necessary Thing. This thread seems on balance to confirm that.

Anyone have anything to add?

Thanks in advance.
    I can tell you at the Rally in Elkhart this year the Dometic rep and Suburban rep said not to use them. The furnace one they said you could use over the summer when not using the furnace, but to remove them when using the furnace.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We put these on our previous trailer and never had a problem in over 7 years. I just ordered 2 sets for our 303rls and will install them as soon as the weather warms up! I really don't want mud daubers plugging the vents for our refrigerator as I've seen what they do to other things in our yard.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We even get mud daubers build in the screw holes of the step hand rail mount. As far as restricting air flow, notice the furnace screens are "bug eyed" to give more surface area. Hot water heater screen is enlarged also. Lots of vents on fridge, so it's not a problem...But if the only place you ever camp is the Oregon coast, you won't need them....
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123