User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    MidwestCamper - I note that you are picking up on some really old posts. The springs all have a free arch height of 3”. They reach their spec load height at about 1.5” arch height. So, changing a load range is going to lift the trailer . . . maybe 1/2” . . . at the price of a rougher ride. There is no way that changing springs increases the ride height by 3” as referenced in the first post . . . the geometry just doesn’t work that way. I think you are on the right track keeping the original rate springs and adding spacer blocks.

Rob
    Rob,

We are in line with our thoughts. I did not write post 5 but thinking if the OE springs were completely flattened out on Dave and Cindy's rig, the new springs may have raised the rig 3 inches to its original height? Otherwise, a stronger spring would be the same length eye to eye and have either more leaf's (1 or two which may be 0.5 inch) or thicker leaf's which could add up to something close to 0.5 inch additional height. I was at John R Spring yesterday purchasing my longer U bolts for the one inch blocks I'm installing and they showed me a much stronger spring (also from China) which looked much more impressive. They were suggesting this spring but when I asked about the load rating they informed me it was 2500 lbs. Overkill from the 1750lb OE springs I have installed on the light weight 2600RB.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MidwestCamper, have you checked the weight sheet for your trailer provided by GD? Your kitchen is on the curb side of your rig along with the pantry. I'd guess that side of the trailer is heavier than the other. When you load for camping you probably put little cargo on the street side but most all your food and utensils go to the kitchen area. This may be why you had rubbing on the curb side and not the street side.
    Grand Design builds trailers with substantial weight differences from one side to the other. My 315RLTS came from the factory well over 600lbs heavier on the kitchen side. All food, dishes, pots, pans etc. go over there. The trailer rode almost an inch lower on that side when loaded. I haven't weighed everything over there but guess there is easily 200+ lbs over there. That's considerable.
    My trailer now has increased rate springs on the heavy side, sits perfectly level and rides better than it did previously. A spring that is sized properly for the weight placed upon it does not ride harder than an overloaded, softer spring.
    Rob has done the science on this in one of his many helpful threads.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chiefblueman,

I looked at the GD weight sheet and did not see a side to side weight. Maybe I missed it where I will check it again. You guys have done a great job correcting the poor OE suspension issues where I am following this closely and will be making some improvements to the Imagine. GD says the Imagine will not handle a heavier spring where most likely this was just another pre-canned message to not alter it from what currently is not working very well. This leaves folks in a tough spot. I will be monitoring the new OE springs closely and am installing some upgrades to reduce shock and to eliminate floor contact. We keep the TT fully loaded minus food, water and clothes where it most likely is heavier on the kitchen side. I have checked it for total axle weight where its at 5940 lbs (full water 46 gal) sitting on the Eq hitch. This would be about 200lbs shy of a totally full load. Last weekend, we began loading beverages and any other heavier stuff under the dinette seating which is the only place that is offered on that side for stowing.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MWC - we also load beverages and heavy items on the opposite side from the kitchen. Good luck in your quest.
    The only remaining factory installed suspension components on my trailer are the spring hangers on the street side and the wheels. I think it's finally right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through the same thing with my 2800BH. Springs had absolutely zero arch. The dealer weighed the trailer and showed I had only 500 pounds of cargo on board. The dealer obtained springs locally that were the heaviest the axle was rated for. Once installed I could see the top of the tires with about 3" of clearance. We went on a 7,500 mile trip without incident. The trailer handled much better and we found, in spite of the stiffer ride that dishes, etc. were not tossed about and drawers not open.

After much frustration and threatening it got resolved. As I see it the problem of bad springs is a know issue to Grand Design. I confirmed that bad springs were not uncommon with Lippert. I don't understand why a heavier spring would not solve your issue. The spring should be able to match the axle rating, which is usually the limiting factor in determining gross weight capacity. Unfortunately, manufacturers are allowed to set their own weigh capacity. Seems they are hell bent on saying a trailer is "lite" and "half ton towable" which in my opinion creates a huge safety problem. The "old school" of thought was the total weight of the trailer should be supported by the rating on the axles. Total weight now is also determined by hitch weight along with axle capacity.

I learned a ton and could go on. I would be happy to talk. email me and I'll give you my phone number [email protected] I would be very cautious with lift blocks.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Norton View Post
    I went through the same thing with my 2800BH. Springs had absolutely zero arch. The dealer weighed the trailer and showed I had only 500 pounds of cargo on board. The dealer obtained springs locally that were the heaviest the axle was rated for. Once installed I could see the top of the tires with about 3" of clearance. We went on a 7,500 mile trip without incident. The trailer handled much better and we found, in spite of the stiffer ride that dishes, etc. were not tossed about and drawers not open.

After much frustration and threatening it got resolved. As I see it the problem of bad springs is a know issue to Grand Design. I confirmed that bad springs were not uncommon with Lippert. I don't understand why a heavier spring would not solve your issue. The spring should be able to match the axle rating, which is usually the limiting factor in determining gross weight capacity. Unfortunately, manufacturers are allowed to set their own weigh capacity. Seems they are hell bent on saying a trailer is "lite" and "half ton towable" which in my opinion creates a huge safety problem. The "old school" of thought was the total weight of the trailer should be supported by the rating on the axles. Total weight now is also determined by hitch weight along with axle capacity.

I learned a ton and could go on. I would be happy to talk. email me and I'll give you my phone number [email protected] I would be very cautious with lift blocks.
    Bruce,
    I do have some questions for you. I've received no approval from either Lippert or GD and am curious if you achieved approval. I sent you an email and I'm very interested in what load rating they moved you up to.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Norton View Post

Bruce,
    It was a pleasure speaking with you and based on our discussion you were able to go with the stronger springs which was the best choice for your rig. I've been told this is not possible for the 2600RB where the blocks are the best option for my situation. I'm currently speaking with the regional service manager on another small issue where I will confirm with him if there are any spring options for the 2600RB since its heavier on the kitchen side and there is no way to get around that.
    I've installed the MORryde CRE3000 and wet bolt kit and the one inch steel blocks which I integrated to the springs with longer center bolts and the rig looks great. Next will be the installation of bump stops. I will be camping this weekend and will see how it handles over the road.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mention bump stops.....got me wondering if Sumo Springs would work. Interesting article in the latest rv magazine showing install on a Ram pickup. Just a thought.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    You mention bump stops.....got me wondering if Sumo Springs would work. Interesting article in the latest rv magazine showing install on a Ram pickup. Just a thought.....
    Jims94vmx,

I've looked at the Sumo and Timbren solution. In my case, I'm not looking to increase load capacity on the 2600RB but to install low profile bump stops to prevent over extension of the springs and to prevent any floor contact from the tires. I'm currently looking into what method would be best in attaching the brackets to the box channel above the axles such as welding, inserts, clamp on etc.. Summit racing sells cheap bump stops for as low as $15.00.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started a new thread under the Imagine category, "Imagine 2600RB Tire to Floor Clearance". Figured this would help any 2600RB owners who may have joined the stretched spring club.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast