User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    MidwestCamper, have you checked the weight sheet for your trailer provided by GD? Your kitchen is on the curb side of your rig along with the pantry. I'd guess that side of the trailer is heavier than the other. When you load for camping you probably put little cargo on the street side but most all your food and utensils go to the kitchen area. This may be why you had rubbing on the curb side and not the street side.
    Grand Design builds trailers with substantial weight differences from one side to the other. My 315RLTS came from the factory well over 600lbs heavier on the kitchen side. All food, dishes, pots, pans etc. go over there. The trailer rode almost an inch lower on that side when loaded. I haven't weighed everything over there but guess there is easily 200+ lbs over there. That's considerable.
    My trailer now has increased rate springs on the heavy side, sits perfectly level and rides better than it did previously. A spring that is sized properly for the weight placed upon it does not ride harder than an overloaded, softer spring.
    Rob has done the science on this in one of his many helpful threads.
    Chiefblueman,
    I wanted to get back with you on the 2600RB weight sheet where the measurements are as follows. The left side weight from grand design is 2470lbs and the right side was weighed at 2558lbs. A 88lb difference with an empty hot water tank. We have since been loading more on the left side such as beverages and any other heavy items to balance the contents of the fridge and cabinets. We keep the Imagine loaded with all the kitchen supplies where all we need to load for a trip is clothes, food and water. It would be reasonable to estimate the Imagine would be up to 250 lbs heavier on the right side.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was cleaning my 2018 2800BH and noticed that the tires on the passenger side have rubbed against the bottom of the trailer. I measured the clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the trailer and it is 2.5”- 3.0” on all of the tires expect for the front passenger side which is 1.75”. I’m pretty surprised as we have never overloaded the trailer, we are weekend campers and never travel with fluid in any of our tanks. What is the factory recommended fix? I have attached a couple photos below.

Curtis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50E58526-CE94-49AF-B117-431ECC5C954D.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	14061

ID:	14061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E232B1FC-B856-439A-B034-3DB384358C2C.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	730.3 KB 
ID:	14059

Name:	D2030F45-0180-4B9F-8C6C-F328029B48DD.jpg 
Views:	42 
ID:	14060

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sitruc1978 View Post
    I was cleaning my 2018 2800BH and noticed that the tires on the passenger side have rubbed against the bottom of the trailer. I measured the clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the trailer and it is 2.5”- 3.0” on all of the tires expect for the front passenger side which is 1.75”. I’m pretty surprised as we have never overloaded the trailer, we are weekend campers and never travel with fluid in any of our tanks. What is the factory recommended fix? I have attached a couple photos below.

Curtis

ID:	14061

ID:	14061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E232B1FC-B856-439A-B034-3DB384358C2C.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	730.3 KB 
ID:	14059

Name:	D2030F45-0180-4B9F-8C6C-F328029B48DD.jpg 
Views:	42 
ID:	14060
    I and others have gone down this same path where the answer I received from Lippert is a stronger spring would need to be approved by GD. So they would not do it. GD states the Imagine (2600RB in my case) will not handle a stronger spring. So I replaced all the springs which Lippert provided for free and I raised the RV with 1 inch spring blocks. There are many posts and history on this. I was recently at General RV in Wixom MI and looked over three other imagines that were at 2.5 inches. When you consider a 1.5 inch maximum deflection of the spring when fully loaded plus any additional motion due to rotation on the equalizer, floor contact is a certainty. Grand Design also mentioned to me the designed tire clearance (unloaded) is 4 inches. When measuring tire clearance, make sure the RV is level side to side as well as front to back. I started another thread "Imagine 2600RB tire to floor clearance" which includes some pics and details in how I handled my tire clearance issue. There are others that also have raised their rigs or have used a stronger spring on the heavier kitchen side. "Cate and Rob" has done a great job determining what spring is needed on the heavier kitchen side since this side seems to be where most springs flatten out. This is possible on the heavier framed RVs where GD tells me (a phone tech) this is not an option on the Imagine.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to replace all the leaf springs on my 2016 2800BH. In the 2.5 years I've had the trailer they're all completely flattened out and there are wear marks on the underside of the trailer. I didn't think that the suspension would fail so quickly. I learned a lot of things about my trailer axles and suspension on a 3000 mile trip across the country. Despite having all the bearings replaced and a complete state required safety inspection, that included the brakes, I had two bearings burn up causing the brakes and hub to actually catch fire on different days. Not sure if the brakes were improperly adjusted or if they over-tightened the castle nuts. Either way, I'm lucky I caught the problems before the wheel slew off and hurt someone. My lesson learned is always do the work myself and never trust an RV shop. The best help I found on the road were trailer specific repair shops - NOT RV dealers. I think anyone can be an RV repair man; you don't have to be very knowledgable or do a very good job

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well you can add me to the Tire Rub issue. I have a the Dexter Axles and the Lippert frame, made in October of 2017. My rubbing is so bad its gone right through the plastic and into the wood subfloor... and I've only been out TWO trips. Not amused.

Front Passenger Side:

Front Drivers Side:

We are out this weekend and I'll do a good check when I have the trailer level to see how much clearance there is etc (sloped driveway so hard to tell).

I send a contact form in to GD on the Service/Warranty page with the info.

Cheers
    Tim
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still having a problem with this concept that stronger springs will transmit more load into the frame. I say "still" because I tried to go through this with both LCI and GDRV folks at a couple of different rallies and didn't get very far. I was trying to explain why my Reflection 303RLS which is 800 lbs heavier on the street side needs stronger springs on that side only. I asked if I could meet with their engineers . . . but, nothing came of this. Now, if they are talking about increases in first and second derivative suspension velocity and acceleration, they might have an argument . . . maybe . . . but somehow I doubt that they are that far into this.

Lets get back to basics. Springs are not very complicated things. There is a simple mathematical equation. F=kx. F is the weight of the trailer. k is the spring constant (or the strength of the spring measured in units like lbs per inch of compression). x is the displacement (or how much the spring is compressed). Let's take the weight of the trailer (F) as a constant for this discussion. The force transmitted into the frame to balance F (to hold up the trailer) is k times x. If k is too small (the spring is too weak) then x will be too big . . . and the tire will travel upward until it hits the body. If we make k bigger (a stronger spring) then displacement x will be less to equal F and the tire will not move up as far and will not hit the body. The force (governed by the weight of the trailer) does not change. It just gets divided differently between spring force (k) and displacement (x).

Or at least, thats how it worked when I went to school . BTW, stronger springs on the heavy side of my 303 and original springs on the lighter side has worked out very well (for me).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I'm still having a problem with this concept that stronger springs will transmit more load into the frame.
    Perhaps the "phone tech" that gave Jim (MidwestCamper) that feedback is a "technician" more in the sense that he operates the telephone, and less in the sense that he possesses a technical understanding of engineering concepts.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Tim's first picture, there is a lot more wear inside the fender than on the tire! And I bet scale readings will show it not overloaded. Either the static ride height is too low, or the spring rate is too weak. Rob has made excellent points that have not been acknowledged by people that should listen. It is NOT rocket science.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim - are you towing so the rv is level or is the nose high or low ? Many RVs are towed nose high and you guessed it, the rear tires pound the bottom of the rv especially on the heavy side.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Dan, I would suspect if anything I am nose low as it is the front axle of the trailer that are showing the rubbing, not the rear axle. Good catch however, I could see on a large road “dip” the hitch rebounding quite low as that is a big trailer.

I’m considering adding the Airlift 5000 airbags since they now have a kit for Ram 1500’s that does not require cutting off the factory bumpstop and grinding. It’s totally bolt on now.

I’ll give it a good check today when we hook up and head out, then if I find a difference I’ll adjust the hitch and see if that helps.

However the spring does look pretty close to flat (very little arch) in the driveway but again, it’s a sloped driveway so can’t be 100% sure until I’m level.

Certainly not overloaded as we are carrying the same amount of gear that the old Jayco 17z had... but one can’t tell until it gets taken to a CAT scale loaded up.

More data will be obtained lol!

Cheers
    Tim
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast