User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have traveled every inch of the BRP and Skyline Drive many times. I agree with what others have said about being careful what route you choose to exit. Some of these routes are REALLY steep and not RV friendly. Caution about the section from James River to Peaks of Otter. Steep climb for a few miles with a nice overlook at the top but don't pull up and then shut down the engine. You are building heat in your transmission and to shut the engine and cooling system down all of a sudden can result in it getting too hot and spilling transmission fluid on the ground........heat expansion. Just keep moving for a few miles and let things cool off before shutting down. This happened to us a few years ago. With these warnings being said, don't be afraid of this beautiful drive!! If you are not in a hurry this is the best route for your return. The speed limit is 35/40 and sometimes you may want to drive faster. Also be aware some overlook pull outs my be hard to turn your rig around in. Look for those that are pull thru rather than a parking lot.
    Great campground at Mabry Mill..easy in/out and plenty of spaces. This is our favorite drive, enjoy!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any problems with the low tunnels on the BRP? As I remember, they are arched but marked as just over 10' tall. I think I heard that if you run the center line there is enough height, but that seems scary to me.

Thanks,

John
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallBoxMaker View Post
    Any problems with the low tunnels on the BRP? As I remember, they are arched but marked as just over 10' tall. I think I heard that if you run the center line there is enough height, but that seems scary to me.

Thanks,

John
    http://www.virtualblueridge.com/parkway-places/tunnels/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruach-Elisha View Post
    Did you ever figure out a good Boston bypass? I head to Maine from Virginia in just over a week.
    I frequently go between these areas. Depending on where you are in Virginia 81 is almost always the best way. Assuming 81 then we take 78E just outside of Harrisburg PA to 287N near Bridewater NJ to 87N just over the NY state line. From there we go east on 84 near Newburg NY all the way though CT to 90E near Sturbridge MA. Once in 90 we take this to 495N (outer loop) near Auburn MA. We take this all the way to NH where it dumps you on 95N.

I have done this route more times then I can count and have taken all variations through New England. This has the lest traffic most of the time, it's easiest route towing our coach.

95 north of Maryland is a breeze if you are on the eastern side. Assuming this then I always take the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the NJ Turnpike. Then I get off 287N at Metuchen NJ and follow the above directions from 287N. 95 through Philly is not fun.

Check fuel prices, since the NJ Turnpike can only change gas prices once a week they can be much cheaper or way more expensive then surrounding stations.

I you want to overnight their are very few free places to do so in New England. Make sure to plan accordingly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any current thoughts on running the parkway Northbound over several days while pulling a fifth wheel, 27RL. Likely plan is to leave from Cade’s Cove and enter the parkway North of Asheville, NC. I think that gets us clear of tight tunnels. Campground recommendations?
    Thanks all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We lived right off the BRP in Roanoke, Va for 20 years. We have driven the entire BRP and the Skyline Drive but not in the RV. IMO, I would drive adjacent highways (like I-81 which is fairly scenic from Wytheville all the way to Winchester), use RV parks along the way and see the parkway in your tow vehicle. Unfortunately, locals use the BRP to commute and a slow moving RV is a hated thing to them. It is twisty and steep in places and you will be moving slowly most of the time. The speed limit is 45 or lower and you will not maintain that speed.

RV parks near the BRP can be found in Natural Bridge, Lexington, Luray (all in Virginia). The NC portion of the BRP is more scenic, IMO, and there are private RV parks near Asheville and a few other places.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    We lived right off the BRP in Roanoke, Va for 20 years. We have driven the entire BRP and the Skyline Drive but not in the RV. IMO, I would drive adjacent highways (like I-81 which is fairly scenic from Wytheville all the way to Winchester), use RV parks along the way and see the parkway in your tow vehicle. Unfortunately, locals use the BRP to commute and a slow moving RV is a hated thing to them. It is twisty and steep in places and you will be moving slowly most of the time. The speed limit is 45 or lower and you will not maintain that speed.

RV parks near the BRP can be found in Natural Bridge, Lexington, Luray (all in Virginia). The NC portion of the BRP is more scenic, IMO, and there are private RV parks near Asheville and a few other places.
    Now to work out the logistics!

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a really nice very easy access private campground around mile 175 called Meadows of Dan which does not require you to go off the mountain ridge. It's also only a few miles from Interstate 77 and that also does not require any steep grades. Some of the county and state routes which would give you access to the Parkway are not RV friendly or safe. Plan your trip accordingly. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the area around mile post 75 to mile post 60 may be an issue if you are unfamiliar with mountain driving tactics. You go from the highest point on the parkway in Virginia to the lowest point at the James River basin in about 12 miles!! You can puke transmission fluid going up or smoke the brakes coming down. After pulling a steep grade never pull over and stop! Heat generated on the way up must have time to dissipate before shutting down the engine or even putting it in Park will not allow it to cool the transmission. Leave it in Neutral so fluid will continue to cycle through the system for a while.....then you can shut down. On the downside, never ride the brakes and use lower gears to help with the decent. Also drive slow and get on the brakes for short periods to bleed off 5 or 10 mph and then let lower gearing allow you to coast and cool the brakes before you use them again. I've used this method in the Rockies in Colorado and it works! If your truck has an exhaust brake you have no concern, my 05 Ram Cummins does not so I have to be careful.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsp8 View Post
    We are taking an after Labor Day trip to Maine. I'm considering running the Blue Ridge Parkway on the return trip to home. I know there are some low tunnels on the South end and that the road is not straight. Not like we will be in a big hurry. Any tips and pointers on what not to miss? Thanks in advance.
    When Fran and I went to Va recently we stayed at the North 340 Campground in Waynesboro. It is very close to the intersection of the Blue Ridge (northern most entrance) and Skyline Drive (south entrance).

The campground was OK--nothing fancy--but the location is terrific.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    There is a really nice very easy access private campground around mile 175 called Meadows of Dan which does not require you to go off the mountain ridge. It's also only a few miles from Interstate 77 and that also does not require any steep grades. Some of the county and state routes which would give you access to the Parkway are not RV friendly or safe. Plan your trip accordingly. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the area around mile post 75 to mile post 60 may be an issue if you are unfamiliar with mountain driving tactics. You go from the highest point on the parkway in Virginia to the lowest point at the James River basin in about 12 miles!! You can puke transmission fluid going up or smoke the brakes coming down. After pulling a steep grade never pull over and stop! Heat generated on the way up must have time to dissipate before shutting down the engine or even putting it in Park will not allow it to cool the transmission. Leave it in Neutral so fluid will continue to cycle through the system for a while.....then you can shut down. On the downside, never ride the brakes and use lower gears to help with the decent. Also drive slow and get on the brakes for short periods to bleed off 5 or 10 mph and then let lower gearing allow you to coast and cool the brakes before you use them again. I've used this method in the Rockies in Colorado and it works! If your truck has an exhaust brake you have no concern, my 05 Ram Cummins does not so I have to be careful.
    Thanks for your thoughts, we have a gas truck so no exhaust brake, but the transmission was great at holding speed on the steeps on our trip out west. I’m familiar with mountain driving and honestly the parkway itself looks like one of the better mountain roads I’ve encountered. That said I don’t want to go out of my way to annoy the four wheelers to much.

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast