Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help plan my trip to FL next week

Hoping this is in the right forum. We are leaving from Windsor Ontario (detroit) and was planning on just a straight shot down 75 to get to Sarasota. Since this is the first trip ever with any RV haha I was hoping for some feedback on planning the drive. While I drive flat trailers for a living and am pretty comfortable with that respect I cannot drive myself 18+ hrs straight nor would I.

We are planning on leaving at 4:30 P.M friday the 21st (damn teacher schedules doesn't allow me to leave any earlier. Ive heard people say to avoid ATL at all costs during the day. Any ideas? and if so can anyone recommend any campgrounds as I dont feel safe just pulling over in some home depot parking lot with my family. Suppose to check into the park Sunday the 23rd. I would even consider a hotel if its safer etc....
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chad,

18 hrs Windsor to Florida in two days is more than we would try! In 9 hrs, you are likely going to be in Tennessee. There are several KOAs close to I75 that are way better than a Home Depot parking lot. In that area, we stay at the Sweetwater Valley KOA. There is no good way to avoid Atlanta. Just have patience. There is a bypass, but if you are off rush hour times, staying on I75 through the middle can be best.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its been a long while since going that way. I remember 75 is good as far as I know, but Atlanta is another matter. Either very early in the morning (before 6AM) or after 8PM is what I remember, but things probably have changed, I do remember having to change lanes to the right constantly to not end up on a left exit, but that was years ago. As for stopping at night, big Walmart's are good, there open 24 hours and some even have night security. Many RV's pull in and form a group area. I also use Holiday inn express or other cheap motels too from time to time. You can pull them up on a smart phone or pre-plan. Lots of KOA and other RV camp grounds. too. Be safe and don't push yourself. Watch the weather. Bridges ice quickly.

Have a safe trip and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you leave Windsor at 4:30 pm going through Detroit which will be quite heavy traffic that time of day. Remember, I 75 is only 1 lane open going south trough parts of Detroit. You are likely going to sit in traffic for well over an hour until you pass Toledo.
    I'd suggest having dinner before you hit the road, being hangry while towing isn't a good mix

You'll be going through Atlanta on the weekend. Check the football schedule and don't get caught in game traffic if there is a game , timing is everything. We go right through Atlanta on I 75 on weekends and avoid the bypasses , they can be just as bad traffic wise and not really save time.

We are in Bradenton, FL for the winter, just off 75 and 64. There is plenty to do in the area to keep you busy. Give a shout if you want through PM
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay thanks everyone, I think I know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna drive till I hit Florence KY(only 4.5 hrs and this is doable as my kids will wanna sleep by then), in Florence (right off 75) there is a Meijer surrounded by hotels. I just called Meijer and asked If I could stop there and was told that as long as I go in the store and ask permission they will allow it. Should they say no then I can look to the hotels but looks like it will work. I'll just keep the slides mostly in so as to not bring attention to us.
    The next day we are gonna head to Savannah GA and stay at the KOA, this avoids ATL and doesn't appear to be too far off course. Sunday morning sarasota is appox 5 hrs with not traffic back ups.
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel through there from the Louisville, KY area on a regular basis. I believe as was stated previously you will be looking to overnight in TN or maybe even KY depending on how often you will need to stop for fuel. If it was my trip to make I would probably do it in three days. We drove from Louisville to Fort Wilderness in Walt Disney World in two days this July and I was beat. We did arrive around 11:30am the second day as we stayed at the Tifton KOA at exit 60 I-75 in South Georgia.

I-75 is crowded as you know and I know there are some two lane sections in KY and TN. GA good with three lanes all the way but Atlanta can be a pain. I still go straight through town to avoid the extra miles that the I-285 bypass adds. I just grin and bear it. Timing can be critical. We always try to hit mid day weekday or weekend for Atlanta but with the construction North of town in the Marietta area it hasn’t much mattered the last couple of times we have passed through there. I just wait it out. Good luck and travel safely.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    okay thanks everyone, I think I know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna drive till I hit Florence KY(only 4.5 hrs and this is doable as my kids will wanna sleep by then), in Florence (right off 75) there is a Meijer surrounded by hotels. I just called Meijer and asked If I could stop there and was told that as long as I go in the store and ask permission they will allow it. Should they say no then I can look to the hotels but looks like it will work. I'll just keep the slides mostly in so as to not bring attention to us.
    The next day we are gonna head to Savannah GA and stay at the KOA, this avoids ATL and doesn't appear to be too far off course. Sunday morning sarasota is appox 5 hrs with not traffic back ups.
    Savannah GA is beautiful - we were there in October - but you'll be crossing the Appalachians to get there from Florence KY. I-75 through Atlanta on a Saturday will be easier than if you were going through on a weekday. I think that big rigs going through Atlanta are supposed to take the 285 bypass, so if you stay on 75 through town you might notice traffic getting a little easier after you get inside the 285 loop.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the I75 exit guide on line . It will tell you all of the campgrounds and details next to I75. They also have a list of restaurants and gas stations. Another good site is truck master fuel finder. They will give you a list of all truck stops along the way. I just google I75 truck stops then click on truck master fuel finder. They will tell you how much the gas is, what kind of food they have and how many overnight parking spots they have. They also have google maps and exit numbers for the stops.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    Hoping this is in the right forum. We are leaving from Windsor Ontario (detroit) and was planning on just a straight shot down 75 to get to Sarasota. Since this is the first trip ever with any RV haha I was hoping for some feedback on planning the drive. While I drive flat trailers for a living and am pretty comfortable with that respect I cannot drive myself 18+ hrs straight nor would I.

We are planning on leaving at 4:30 P.M friday the 21st (damn teacher schedules doesn't allow me to leave any earlier. Ive heard people say to avoid ATL at all costs during the day. Any ideas? and if so can anyone recommend any campgrounds as I dont feel safe just pulling over in some home depot parking lot with my family. Suppose to check into the park Sunday the 23rd. I would even consider a hotel if its safer etc....
    What I learned (the hard way) is to plan your stops during the day. Google Earth is your friend. Some rest areas are a nightmare (Virginia especially) with their single lane, parallel parking. "Truck stops" can be just as bad (or good).

Your 312 is the same size as my 315, so it makes for a stressful day when you don't know where (or when) you can or will stop for a rest.

Here's a thread I started with my lessons learned--hope it helps: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ssons-learned)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We learned early on that extended rest area and parking lot stops were not for us. Noise, questionable security and lack of safe walking the dogs being the key reasons. There are KOA and private campgrounds at nearly every rural exit on I75. Lots of apps to find these and most have level pull through "transient" sites. The electric hookup, security of being amongst other campers and safe areas for the dogs make the approx $50 per night a small expense in the grand scheme of RVing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast