User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have your axle seals failed?

Voters
351. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my seals failed and I had grease on the brakes

246 70.09%
  • No, my seals have not failed

48 13.68%
  • I'm not sure

57 16.24%
Page 101 of 108 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1077
    A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeW1 View Post
    I got my rig back yesterday. GD paid for the grease seals. Funny thing.... when I brought the rig in, my service rep. hadn't heard any issues with grease seals failing, but when I picked it up, he stated they worked on them all the time. Oh well..., hopefully the problem is solved now.
    That tells you something about the experience/integrity of the service dept. at your dealership. Typical....sad that it's this way but not surprising at all.

They should be putting the new style of grease seals in so hopefully you will not have any more problems.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's been almost one full year since Lippert changed their manufacturing process in hopes of eliminating the greasy brake syndrome. And last summer GDRV switched to Dexter axle components. Since that time, the number of of greasy brakes reported have been dwindling.

Both Lippert and Dexter axle manuals have maintenance schedules that required annual cleaning and repacking of bearings and inspection of the brakes.

SO... If you have a GDRV product with axles that were manufactured prior to 5/8/2017, and still haven't had them inspected, now is the time. Hopefully, the greasy brake situation will be behind us all.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    I've said it before.....I'm very surprised that there isn't a voluntary recall on these brakes. One accident where somebody was injured or killed due to these brakes having grease all over them......with the documented history and they'll sure wish they'd done a voluntary recall.

I went with disc brakes. It was pricey for a triple axle but then I sent a claim in to Lippert (I was out of warranty) and they reimbursed me the full amount (the price I paid for disc brakes). Having gone from the west coast to Florida and now getting ready to start moving north in a couple of weeks......disc brakes wasn't even a question. It's all about "what is you and your families lives worth?".
    Paid for mine too. Even after GD dealer replaced greased brakes with new ones. Lippert is a standup company in my books.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the dealer check ours Friday. LCI paid for the inspection and service lady at the dealer said we have no problems.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    It's been almost one full year since Lippert changed their manufacturing process in hopes of eliminating the greasy brake syndrome. And last summer GDRV switched to Dexter axle components. Since that time, the number of of greasy brakes reported have been dwindling.

Both Lippert and Dexter axle manuals have maintenance schedules that required annual cleaning and repacking of bearings and inspection of the brakes.

SO... If you have a GDRV product with axles that were manufactured prior to 5/8/2017, and still haven't had them inspected, now is the time. Hopefully, the greasy brake situation will be behind us all.

Jim
    My axles were made just before the changeover. Supposedly the dealer did check the hubs at PDI since I opened the claim with LCI for them. Well wanted to check the wheels before my 1 yr Gd warranty was up ( in 2 weeks), JIC Guess what I found, one graeased wheel and one brake set that is improperly wearing. I will ship axle ser #’s and photos off to LCI in the AM and see where we go from here.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just now got a report from the GD Dealer doing our 1 year ownership maintenance on our 2017 Imagine 2950RL that has 3000 miles on it and was built 10/2016. The grease seals were not leaking. Since part of the 1 year maintenance service includes bearing cleaning and repacking and adjusting the brakes, this obviously requires new grease seals anyway. Felt pretty good about that although I haven't read about Imagines having the grease seal problem but they probably did as well.

Just thought I would report and vote
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our unit was built March 2017. I noticed decreased braking on a trip back from western New York, so I checked out the brakes between the drum and backing plate. On 1 brake, i could see grease caked on the brake shoes. Not wanting to travel 200 miles back to my dealer with weakened brakes, I contacted Lippert via email. I will have to say they were easy to work with and really stepped up to the plate. I had a local RV dealer check out my brakes, and I took pictures as he pulled the wheels.........3 brakes had grease on the shoes, and the last axle seal was leaking but not quite on the shoes yet. I emiled the pictures to Lippert, they OKd the repair and sent the new brakes and seals to the dealer. The dealer had been burned by other companies warranty work and was reluctant to go that direction, so I had to pay for the repairs myself, but Lippert paid me reimbursement. Other than 2 trips to the local dealer, it was a painless experience.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I get in contact with Emily Stahley of Lippert? We have a 2016 Reflections 337RLS. We took it in for routine service today and the dealer just called us and told us that all 4 wheel seals are blown and they want $800.00 to fix it. This has to be a safety issue that was not addressed by either Lippert and/or Grand Design. Owners buying these trailers should have received a letter from Grand Design stating that numerous people are having problems with blown seals (Technical Service Bulletin). Now of course our trailer is no longer under warranty and the dealer expects us to pay for this problem. This is so Wrong!!! Maybe a case action law suit is needed against Lippert, Grand Design and the dealers. They should have all addressed this problem and told the customer that this is a serious safety issue when the brakes do not work properly.
    Any suggestions of what to do, before I give the dealer the money?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard/linda View Post
    How do I get in contact with Emily Stahley of Lippert? We have a 2016 Reflections 337RLS. We took it in for routine service today and the dealer just called us and told us that all 4 wheel seals are blown and they want $800.00 to fix it. This has to be a safety issue that was not addressed by either Lippert and/or Grand Design. Owners buying these trailers should have received a letter from Grand Design stating that numerous people are having problems with blown seals (Technical Service Bulletin). Now of course our trailer is no longer under warranty and the dealer expects us to pay for this problem. This is so Wrong!!! Maybe a case action law suit is needed against Lippert, Grand Design and the dealers. They should have all addressed this problem and told the customer that this is a serious safety issue when the brakes do not work properly.
    Any suggestions of what to do, before I give the dealer the money?
    Hi, Welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post and you are a guest. First off Emily doesn't work for Lippert anymore but works for GD now. Next contact Lippert support directly. Either via email or phone. You need the serial numbers off of the axles. They have been pretty liberal with help since it is know there are issues. Out of warranty they often have supplied the parts but not the labor for many. Your dealer certainly will not do this for you since they make one hell of a lot more money off of charging you then Lippert will pay for warranty work. Potentially though be prepared for a pushback since you have a 2016 reflection that I have to assume has been on the road for over a year. Wheel bearings are supposed to be repacked and seals replaced every 12 months or 12 K miles which ever comes first.... This is clearly stated in the manuals.

Jim

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do yourself (and your family) a favor and bite the bullet for the disc brake upgrade now. The crappy drum brakes are not what you want to rely on when you'll need the brakes the most, and if you're going to have to part with money, you don't want to throw good money after bad.

The disc brakes are such a huge improvement over the drums that it's money very well spent.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Page 101 of 108 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast