Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decoupling Husky Hitch

I have only used the hitch a few time, but each time it is a bear to unhitch the trailer.

I need to raise the tongue jack all the way up to release the WD bars. Then lower it to and release the coupler. Well here is the sag, the coupler is "loaded" and I can't pull the lever back.
    One way I did this was to raise the tongue jack all the way up and then the level can be moved, but the hitch and rear of the truck drops a few inches.
    Another way I did it was to raised the tongue, then use a bottle jack under the WD hitch to take the weight off the trailer off of it and then the lever can be moved.
    Then I found if I keep the WD bars installed on the trailer, I can move the lever with the tongue all the way up, but then I can't remove the bars.

I have never had this issue with my Equal-i-zer or Reese setup. I think the dealer may not have set it up correctly? I also know people that grease the ball, would this help? I never did this with an 8,000lb boat/trailer with the Equal-I-zer hitch or any trailer I have had and I never had a problem.
    Greg & Mary - Rhode Island
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z-71 5.3L 4x4 AME HD transmission

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try moving the tow vehicle forward. If you're still chocked then just put the vehicle in D and let it idle forward slightly. That will take pressure off the latch. I have to do it sometimes with my utility trailer. Try squirting some WD40 or such on the latch too.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GoDucks, thanks, I have done that with so so success. That usually helps after backing into a spot, then pull forward a bit to get the ball off the latch but it doesn't seem to help all the time. I'll try greasing it next hook up, see if that helps. I have a email in with Husky as well. Thanks
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got off the phone with Husky. It seems like I have too much tilt in my hitch head. They recommend removing a washer and lowering the lift brackets to easy the pressure on the ball. I'll add that to the list of things when they winterize it at the end of the month.
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That makes sense. Now I'll know what to look for when we get ours delivered. Thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I used an Equalizer on a previous SOB TT I had 6 washers in it. I tried 7 but had a hard time decoupling. Makes sense not that you mentioned too much tilt.