User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary. I think you are correct. When the wind blows and rain flows, it follows the metal in the Schenteck drive
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: Our leaks did get fixed by Tillamook RV Repair, Owner Stumpy aka Mike Boroughs and our main man Morgan. We give Grand Design kudos for listening, looking at our photos and all of the documentation we did. Our slides no longer leak and we have been through some more pretty intense rains. While our Behemoth was in their shop, it took up two bays and was there for just shy of two weeks. Fortunately, my boss at work took pity on us (as we were homeless now) and put us and Boo up in his over-the-garage apartment.
    Prior to the fix, we were taking 2 cups of water per day from our three Eva-Dry dehumidifiers, of which we have three (1 Large one for 2200 cubic ft. in the Living area and 2 medium for 1100 cubic feet in the bedroom and bathroom). Now we are lucky to take less than a cup a week from the three of them. Now this isn't fully attributed to the slide leaks but also from the forced air furnace that draws air from the outside as well as the exhaust fan for the microwave/convection oven which vents inside. With that being said, while our rig was in the shop getting the slide leaks fixed, we also had them remove the microwave/convection oven and redirect the vent fan outside the back of the microwave to outside the kitchen slide. The parts were about $40.00 and the labor was $200.00. On top of that, we now use the fireplace full-time and use one extra heater in the dining room (electricity is included in our space rent so we take advantage of it and save on propane). We still use the forced air furnace as our safety net because we still need that to go to our basement keeping the water manifold compartment warm. We do live in a very wet climate (during the winter it rains from October to about April) and not just straight down but sideways. We flood regularly in Tillamook if that tells you how much water we get.

I've included a link of about 60 photos including "the fix." When you open the photos, click on the 3 dots "..." in the top right corner and select "details" to provide a description of what you are looking at.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...V9pQmVRNTlUSm8

Gary, Deborah & Boo Kitty Girl Westoby
    2016 Grand Design Solitude ST 379 FL (Beautiful Behemoth)
    Purchased in 2019
    Rosie (the Riveter) 2019 Ram Limited Dually, Bright White
    Reese 20K M5 5th Wheel Hitch
    Retirement for Deborah 12.31.20 / Gary 5.31.21

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hard to follow the pictures other than they made a plate. Im going to watch this area close ...is this a design flaw ? or whats going on ? Not to mention Another freeking lie by my dealer saying GD is built with ply wood not particle junk board ....looks like garbage board to me ..

p.s. was this warranty ?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this was warranty. GD Factory went above and beyond as this was our home and it was gone for 76 days. Anyway, it is definitely a Schwintek issue. Many RV builders use Schwintek slides so not just a Grand Design issue. We (ourselves) are working on a solution. Right now we are dry because of what we have done. We have nothing to say bad about Grand Design as they walked through this with us all the way. We are trying to come up with a solution for anyone who has Schwintek slides. We love our coach and have put a bit of money into it so we were not willing to give up on it. We stay up on maintenance and we are living in it full-time and will be retiring in 3 years. So...we need to keep it dry. We do not live in a dry climate...we live in Oregon 7 miles from the coast. We will try to continue to update. Sorry it took me so long to get back to answering this. So...short answer...it was warranty. Long answer, we are still fighting the leaks but have a temporary fix since we are stationary right now. In fact, the inside is so dry, we are shocking each other as we walk by each other...not on purpose...wink wink!

Quote Originally Posted by bartlett View Post
    hard to follow the pictures other than they made a plate. Im going to watch this area close ...is this a design flaw ? or whats going on ? Not to mention Another freeking lie by my dealer saying GD is built with ply wood not particle junk board ....looks like garbage board to me ..

p.s. was this warranty ?

Gary, Deborah & Boo Kitty Girl Westoby
    2016 Grand Design Solitude ST 379 FL (Beautiful Behemoth)
    Purchased in 2019
    Rosie (the Riveter) 2019 Ram Limited Dually, Bright White
    Reese 20K M5 5th Wheel Hitch
    Retirement for Deborah 12.31.20 / Gary 5.31.21

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary have you remedied your leaks? It sounds like you've had the same issue we have had. After weeks of trying fixes we have found the solution to these leaks. I posted a fix to the facebook site for reference under "Dan and Shelley todd". Just came across your post here so thought I'd reply. We found the problem to be the fact the schwintek track bars were not being sealed from behind. Once we did this, no more leaks. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddwards View Post
    Gary have you remedied your leaks? It sounds like you've had the same issue we have had. After weeks of trying fixes we have found the solution to these leaks. I posted a fix to the facebook site for reference under "Dan and Shelley todd". Just came across your post here so thought I'd reply. We found the problem to be the fact the schwintek track bars were not being sealed from behind. Once we did this, no more leaks. Let me know if I can be of any help.
    Could you post your fix here? I have a Solitude 375RES and both of the living room slides leaked. The dealer said they fixed it. Something about the drip trays didn't line up with the rails. We haven't had a good rain so I am not sure it is fixed.

Thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddwards View Post
    Todd, any chance you can post the FB fix here? The downfall to FB is that it’s almost impossible to search for anything. I remember reading your fix over there but it’s dropped off into FB oblivion buried under piles of homemade blankets and kitty cat posts.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sxm1298 View Post
    Could you post your fix here? I have a Solitude 375RES and both of the living room slides leaked. The dealer said they fixed it. Something about the drip trays didn't line up with the rails. We haven't had a good rain so I am not sure it is fixed.

Thanks.
    We had a leak on our bedroom Schwintek slide and turned out to be the drip tray. Easy fix. It's just realizing that this drip tray setup exists.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't fully joined this site so not sure if I can post pics, but will try.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll work on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast