Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please understand no one is saying pets should not be allowed. Everyone loves their pets and I understand having owned pets for years. But at 68 years old I don't want the responsibility of taking care of them My wife and I do good to take care of ourselves lol .I agree it is not the pets but some of the owners fault. All I'm saying is be considerate of everyone if they don't share your views. In a campground Last month a couple left two dogs locked in a pop-up and they barked all day and half the night. everyone in the campground was upset. There again not the pets fault. Cyndi My opologies if any of my post disturbed you. That was definitely not my intent. Everyone get out in the great outdoors and enjoy the many wonderful opportunities it provides

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindi, or any one else traveling with large or multiple dogs. After numerous phone calls for the 2015/16 season we chose to stay at an Encore/Thousand trails park in Bradenton , FL because they are very easy on dogs. No size or breed restrictions, also no limit on # of dogs and have an enclosed dog yard for them to run in. (Koda learned his way there in very short time. He would drag us there if we let him) The trade off was the park is very close to the freeway. Even though we are now a 2 dog family we choose to return there this winter instead of going back on a cg hunt. We saw many breeds there last winter. Dobes, pitts, shepherds etc. All seemed pretty well behaved. Not sure if that is a company wide policy but worth looking in to on your end of the country.

It was almost funny, We had 2 aussies next to us for about 4 weeks, people assumed we were there together because of the herd of Aussies
    One that surprised me in our searches was that Huskies and Malamutes are also often on the banned dog list.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Cindi, or any one else traveling with large or multiple dogs. After numerous phone calls for the 2015/16 season we chose to stay at an Encore/Thousand trails park in Bradenton , FL because they are very easy on dogs. No size or breed restrictions, also no limit on # of dogs and have an enclosed dog yard for them to run in. (Koda learned his way there in very short time. He would drag us there if we let him) The trade off was the park is very close to the freeway. Even though we are now a 2 dog family we choose to return there this winter instead of going back on a cg hunt. We saw many breeds there last winter. Dobes, pitts, shepherds etc. All seemed pretty well behaved. Not sure if that is a company wide policy but worth looking in to on your end of the country.

It was almost funny, We had 2 aussies next to us for about 4 weeks, people assumed we were there together because of the herd of Aussies
    One that surprised me in our searches was that Huskies and Malamutes are also often on the banned dog list.
    Thank you. I did a search and found one in Utah. I bookmarked it for later reference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an older thread but I have two Pit Bulls and they are the sweetest dogs. The only damage they'll do is lick you raw. Anybody that knows Pit Bulls or done ANY kind of research on them knows they make horrible guard dogs because they are so people friendly. I'm a firefighter/paramedic in a town right outside of Chicago and run into Pit Bulls all the time but have not yet run into an aggressive one. Last one that saw me coming ran and grabbed his ball so I could play with him. The Pit Bulls you hear about on the news are trained that way by the owners to make them aggressive to fight. Here's an interesting fact. Did you know German Shepherds have a stronger biting force than Pit Bulls and Pit Bulls can't lock their jaws like a lot of people think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure that my post was the reason that the other thread was shut down. I know that it can get uncomfortable for people to hear that their dogs are animals, and that animals are unpredictable, and that they can and do change. I know that some folks want to rely on their "canine good citizen" training, or their belief that their dogs are "the sweetest dogs". They may be, for your and your family, in familiar circumstances.

Animals are unpredictable. A campground is a strange situation for your dog. There are strange sights, sounds, odors, and people. Those can be stressful for a dog, and can change how they react. You can not rely on training to change that fact. I'm a firearms instructor, and having worked with LE, I can point you to examples of very highly trained police dogs that have turned on their handlers in a stressful situation. One example I can remember was even caught by helicopter camera by one of the local news stations.

If you want to take your dog camping, that's great. Please, regardless of whatever training your dog has, or whatever disposition your dog exhibits with you and your family, please responsibly keep them under your direct control. Don't let a child that can't physically restrain them have the leash.

I've had aggressive dogs enter my garage, even keep me from existing my vehicle in my own driveway. While I was armed at the time and could legally have ended the situation, I went out of my way to use alternate means that were available and employable. One of those dogs later went on to attack a little girl in her garage down the street. The owners then learned a very expensive lesson after they failed to internalize what the animal control officer explained to them after my encounter.

In a campground, alternate means may not be possible. I'd hate to have to stop a dog before it harmed my daughter or wife, but I would do so without remorse or second thought if required, and I would do it before my daughter or wife end up requiring reconstructive surgery or medical treatment. I'm not saying that to come across as macho or to offend anyone. I'm saying it in the hope that dog owners will accept common sense responsibility when they take their dogs out in the unfamiliar surroundings of campgrounds.

Let's all be safe out there.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good news is most dogs at the RV park I'm at are small breeds. I'm not worried about unpredictable Chihuahuas
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had an interesting experience at a KOA. (We love KOAs, by the way, and this one in particular.) Next door to us was a rig in which the dog had clearly been left alone for a good part of the day, uncrated. It was clear because we saw its head pop up at several windows (closed), and heard it for hours on end. Once my own dogs realized this barker wasn't coming into our camp/TT, they were fine - and the only reason the barking bothered us was that it made it so clear that the dog was on its own for hours at a time. I felt some concern for the dog, so I called the manager. The call went through to some main headquarters (the onsite office was closed), and shortly afterwards, I got a call that somebody had complained about there being a dog shut up in ~our~ trailer. I explained, and reiterated that my concern was for the dog, not the barking per se. I don't know what happened - I never got another call, and the people left the next morning. I still feel bad for the dog - and am still kinda shaking my head about the call getting so mixed up.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand your feelings. My dogs are never off-leash at camp, unless it's in the designated dog run - and then I am always in the run with them; if others approach, I'm near the gate, leashes at the ready. Mine are Westies, so fairly small, and generally not intimidating. However, my female can take an inexplicable dislike to another dog, and has been known to freeze and growl. (She also does this if she's in her crate and another dog comes too close, but that's understandable - she's guarding her den - and not a danger to anyone.) We don't use the expandable leashes, either. And we always stop or slow up a few yards distant from other dogs to make sure everybody's friendly before we allow encounters - and even then, dogs that meet with all owners' assurances of friendliness can take umbrage and need pulled back right away.

Our dogs are well socialized and used to Highland Games/Celtic Festivals, where they see lots of people and other dogs, and hear lots of drums and bagpipes - sometimes even cannons! - and are not easily startled, but when they get their walkies, I take them individually rather than on the coupler so I can keep a better eye on them. Small children are very attracted to my dogs, and they are pretty wonderful with kids, but even so, when a little bit approaches, I'm crouching down next to the dogs, shortening up the brace coupler, and ready to get between kid and dog if need be. (Need has never been; the male is, in fact, a tummy slut, and for anybody over the age of 3, will flop down almost immediately for a tummy rub.) Always, always better safe than sorry.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    ... their dogs are animals
    Let's all be safe out there.
    My wife and I have had this discussion many times over the years. I grew up in ranch country, you have dogs for a reason. My wife grew up in the city, you have dogs for companionship. When the kids left to live their lives our first dog was her empty nesting pseudo-kid. So a lot of the conflict on dogs comes from socio-economic background differences. Wait a minute, isn't most of our political policy problems based on the same thing?

In thousands of dog encounters I have had very few problems. We did have a neighbor rescue a dog, they had a fenced yard, but the dog kept escaping. I think the dog was insane, he would come into the yard and stalk me, yup real hunting behavior. Other neighbors had similar experience, so we did an intervention, four of us went over and explained the problem, calmly like adults, we never saw the dog again.

I am going to shock everyone with my ill behavior. My dog Bandit never goes on leash. I know it's horrible right, except he is 13, about 6" tall, he only has 6 teeth left, he has a slipped disk, if he tries to run that disk comes out and he is on pain meds and lays down for about a week. He has arthritis and a dislocated knee joint. He comes by one of us anytime someone, anyone, gets with 20 feet of us, and we never let him get further than 3 steps from us when he is out.

I am annoyed at people who want to make everyone in the world act a certain way based one or two isolated incidents where someone has not used good judgement.

I am a true advocate of personal responsibility.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ID2Reid, I totally see your point.
    One reason to keep dogs on leashes is that it's the law/rule at many campgrounds. Especially when we are camping under Pagan (Wiccan) banners, we like to be scrupulous, because a violation ends up reflecting on our religion and not just us - we are often the only Wiccans people have ever met. But I'll be even the most strict campground hosts would make an exception for Bandit. :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast