Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling with a German Sheppard

We are just in out first year of RV-ing. In the west coast here, seems more than not, people have dogs with them. Being recently retired, we were in the market for a dog and had settled on out favorite breed, German Sheppard. I recently learned that some parks have restrictions and breeds or size of dogs. Will we be very limited? Seems the previous post about Pet Restrictions was discussing this?

Dale

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My home campground prohibits German Sheppards, Chow Chows, Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, and other "aggressive dogs".

They do allow labrador retrievers, golden retreivers, and worst of all--little yapping dogs. We especially love the yappers when their parents go off for the day and they are barking every breath.

I was going back through my charge statements and checking statements recently, and I bet we spent $800 for the year at the kennel @ $14 per day. That's a penalty for having a Rottweiler rescue dog.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    German Sheppards are beautiful dogs, but you will have issues at RV parks. I'm not saying it's right just stating facts.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    German Sheppards are beautiful dogs, but you will have issues at RV parks. I'm not saying it's right just stating facts.
    Those of us with dogs know that the temperament of a dog has little to do with its breed or its size. However, el Rojo is absolutely correct that many (most?) RV parks restrict dogs based on these parameters. You definitely need to inquire when making a reservation (they will usually ask) to avoid being turned away when you arrive.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling with a German Sheppard

We bought our toy hauler so we could travel with our dogs. On our first trip out we did stay in a place that restricted dogs and chose to stay anyway because we wanted to be able learn how the RV functions without the dogs distracting us. I've learned there are pet restrictions in quite a few of the privately owned campgrounds. And honestly if they restrict certain pets based on breed or size I don't want to give them my money anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had an issue with our GS. However let your yappy qtip without a stick on a leash with a small dog attitude approach or charge our GS the lunch bell rings. Ours hates other dogs. I warn other dog owners who walk there's off leash. NOT DOG FRIENDLY! Be prepared for a vet bill.

Loves people. So our GS is leashed and walked knowing his personality , just watch out for his hummingbird tongue, he's a people kisser.

German Shepherds are GREAT DOGS. Mine is attached to me like a bad habit. A Daddy's boy.

George

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife got bit a couple of weeks ago by a mid size mix breed mutt that was just crazy and got loose. It warranted a trip to urgent care for the puncture wounds and a tetanus shot. Come to find out the dog has bit before so he is on the watch list from Animal Control. While across the way at the State park we were at was a German Shepard that was chained to the tree but he never barked or wouldn't even raise his head when you walked by. It's all about training the owner how to manage their dog.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My concern isnt about the breed at all. It will be a people dog and good ( hopefully) with other dogs and well trained for sure. Just worried about being refused at campgrounds. They are a great breed!

Dale

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooTingSTar View Post
    Never had an issue with our GS. However let your yappy qtip without a stick on a leash with a small dog attitude approach or charge our GS the lunch bell rings. Ours hates other dogs. I warn other dog owners who walk there's off leash. NOT DOG FRIENDLY! Be prepared for a vet bill.

Loves people. So our GS is leashed and walked knowing his personality , just watch out for his hummingbird tongue, he's a people kisser.

German Shepherds are GREAT DOGS. Mine is attached to me like a bad habit. A Daddy's boy.

George
    We chose the yappy Qtip without the stick type because our home nor trailer are large enough for the bigger more aggressive dogs. Ours is not a yappy dog unless she has something to alert us to just the same as yours but not quite as loud. When our dog wags her tail the air moves when your GS wags its tail things get broken. Most private parks do not allow larger dogs and some breeds because of the first part of your post and I am sorry for that, but understand why.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have only had one campground refuse to allow GS in Florida. But will do get a lot of looks when we are walking our 95 pound GS around the campground. The hardest thing we face is how to fit him and my daughter in the truck.