User Tag List

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I purchased my Reflection TT 297RSTS a few weeks ago, I asked the RV dealer if they could mount the Ford trailer camera and TPMS. They declined and stated that they did not have the capability to do the worK. Next I went to a Ford dealership and asked if they could mount the camera and TPMS. They also declined. But that’s okay, because a lot of these places do shoddy work anyways. (Not to get off subject, but the dealer that I bought the TT from installed the WD hitch and screwed it up big time. Infuriating.)

I removed the Furrion trailer camera mounting bracket and installed the Ford trailer camera in its place. The camera wiring harness runs a short length down the top of the center spine with a 90 degree turn towards the rear awning arm. From there it runs down the side of the rear awning arm and under the TT to the frame. It runs the length of the frame where it connects to the Y wiring harness.

The TPMS receiver is part of the Y wiring harness and is mounted on the middle of the sewer hose storage tube facing towards the tires. The Y wiring pin plug was replaced with the 7 pin adaptor on the rear bumper of the truck. More pictures to come tomorrow.

I installed the TPMS at a local auto hobby shop on a military base. The total cost was $725 for the Ford trailer camera/TPMS and $55 for access to a worthy mechanic shop with all the proper tools, torque wrenched and lift bays available on demand.

The last thing needed to finish the install was to programm TPMS sensors. Everything is working as expected. All the wiring harnesses are zip-tied to adhesive backed mounts and look orderly. Not perfect but very functional. Overall very pleased with the results and it’s overall functionality. More pictures to come tomorrow.

More to follow.

MD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9E46ADD0-644A-49DB-87A2-F135DB14B7F1.jpeg   7A797186-47F9-403E-9151-32FC03F8447E.jpeg   69486123-6433-47D6-9776-0D75F0ED300A.jpeg   E2199E3D-5588-48A4-BC9B-901948AED67E.jpeg   4BFD94E5-0DA4-4C94-849B-38F1340E97A8.jpeg  

Kevin & May - Baltimore, MD
    2018 Ford F-250 Platinum FX4 Diesel
    2019 Grand Design, Reflection 297RSTS
    2016 CVO Harley Davidson, Road Glide Ultra

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog55 View Post
    When I purchased my Reflection TT 297RSTS a few weeks ago, I asked the RV dealer if they could mount the Ford trailer camera and TPMS. They declined and stated that they did not have the capability to do the worK. Next I went to a Ford dealership and asked if they could mount the camera and TPMS. They also declined. But that’s okay, because a lot of these places do shoddy work anyways. (Not to get off subject, but the dealer that I bought the TT from installed the WD hitch and screwed it up big time. Infuriating.)

I removed the Furrion trailer camera mounting bracket and installed the Ford trailer camera in its place. The camera wiring harness runs a short length down the top of the center spine with a 90 degree turn towards the rear awning arm. From there it runs down the side of the rear awning arm and under the TT to the frame. It runs the length of the frame where it connects to the Y wiring harness.

The TPMS receiver is part of the Y wiring harness and is mounted on the middle of the sewer hose storage tube facing towards the tires. The Y wiring pin plug was replaced with the 7 pin adaptor on the rear bumper of the truck. More pictures to come tomorrow.

I installed the TPMS at a local auto hobby shop on a military base. The total cost was $725 for the Ford trailer camera/TPMS and $55 for access to a worthy mechanic shop with all the proper tools, torque wrenched and lift bays available on demand.

The last thing needed to finish the install was to programm TPMS sensors. Everything is working as expected. All the wiring harnesses are zip-tied to adhesive backed mounts and look orderly. Not perfect but very functional. Overall very pleased with the results and it’s overall functionality. More pictures to come tomorrow.

More to follow.

MD
    My installation mirrors yours almost exactly! I was waiting until I returned from my current trip before posting what/how I did it to ensure the mount (and wiring) survived the trip. (Since the camera didn't come off after traveling I-59 I suspect it can survive anything.) The only difference is I had Walmart install the TPMS sensors. They charged me $10 per tire to install the sensor. I did all the rest of the labor and installation myself.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    My installation mirrors yours almost exactly! I was waiting until I returned from my current trip before posting what/how I did it to ensure the mount (and wiring) survived the trip. (Since the camera didn't come off after traveling I-59 I suspect it can survive anything.) The only difference is I had Walmart install the TPMS sensors. They charged me $10 per tire to install the sensor. I did all the rest of the labor and installation myself.
    The integrated system is clean and works well. No additional clutter.

I'll have to keep Walmart in mind next time I need any tire related work done. That's quite a bargain. The only advantage to doing the work yourself is knowing that you have everything to torque specifications. Which reminds me, would you know the torque specifications for the trailer lugs?
    Last edited by Maddog55; 10-13-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The integrated system is clean and works well. No additional clutter.

I'll have to keep Walmart in mind next time I need any tire related work done. That's quite a bargain. The only advantage to doing the work yourself is knowing that you have everything to torque specifications. Which reminds me, would you know the torque specifications for the trailer lugs?
    The wheel torque is more than just a single value. The attached is from page 68 of the Reflection owner's manual.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lugs.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	15604

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some addition pics on Ford trailer camera & TPMS install for Reflection 297RSTS. The only thing left to do is install the black & white checkered stickies on the TT. Not sure how useful that will be as I normally rely on the rear view mirrors. Other than that, everything appears to be working fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2344A4BA-5324-413F-919E-82C05682B84E.jpeg   6231637B-ADAD-44A5-AFEC-0050949299A5.jpeg   81378AD8-91BB-43CA-A643-D8391D22CA49.jpeg   1CC77A03-37BC-49DD-83A6-909081CE7629.jpeg   6365C54C-224B-459E-AABB-02B18C72AD0C.jpeg  

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some addition pics on Ford trailer camera & TPMS install for Reflection 297RSTS. The only thing left to do is install the black & white checkered stickies on the TT. Not sure how useful that will be as I normally rely on the rear view mirrors. Other than that, everything appears to be working fine.
    I will be interested in your results. Every thing I have read says the blind spot system doesn't work with 5th wheel applications. Please keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I got the kit from ford and they contacted a guy to install. The installed on the trailer, but ran into an issue. The truck 2017 F250 Lariat, that I provided the vin number to the dealership, doesn't have the pig tail in the harness above the spare. So I got the kit and labor free. But unusable. There is an open plug on the inside of the Frame right hand side. Is that a possibility, has anyone ran across this? BTW, check about 20 new trucks on the lot, about half have the plug, not all. Ford has no fix.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmvm View Post
    So I got the kit from ford and they contacted a guy to install. The installed on the trailer, but ran into an issue. The truck 2017 F250 Lariat, that I provided the vin number to the dealership, doesn't have the pig tail in the harness above the spare. So I got the kit and labor free. But unusable. There is an open plug on the inside of the Frame right hand side. Is that a possibility, has anyone ran across this? BTW, check about 20 new trucks on the lot, about half have the plug, not all. Ford has no fix.
    I think you have to have the tow technology bundle to use the trailer TPMS and camera. Just to be clear do you have that option?
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmvm View Post
    That's crazy! Ford's website says the kit is compatible with '17, '18 and '19 SuperDuty trucks.

The "fix" is Ford installing the right harness in your truck--which of course they don't want to do thus why you got a $500 kit (plus labor) for nothing. I hope they put the original plug back in your bumper.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    I think you have to have the tow technology bundle to use the trailer TPMS and camera. Just to be clear do you have that option?
    You may be right, but Ford doesn't specify a requirement outside of the year and series. I posted the manual in the Reference Library awhile ago--nothing in it, either.

It does make sense that the truck would need (as a baseline) the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera system. The camera in the kit purchased is an option on that system screen. Maybe the Sync version has something to do with it, too?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast