Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Austin, TX in March

Deb and I will be heading east in March. One of first destinations is Austin to visit friends and am looking for some recommendations. We love COE / State and National Parks foremost but am also willing to stay in nicer RV Resorts.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Oh, we are very hopeful to see flowers in bloom (Blue Bonnets) if we are lucky enough to catch them in bloom.

TIA
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Deb and I will be heading east in March. One of first destinations is Austin to visit friends and am looking for some recommendations. We love COE / State and National Parks foremost but am also willing to stay in nicer RV Resorts.

Any ideas will be appreciated

Oh, we are very hopeful to see flowers in bloom (Blue Bonnets) if we are lucky enough to catch them in bloom.

TIA
    Paul, COE has a few nice camp grounds north of Austin. Check "ReserveAmerica.gov"
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hey LC ... $105 to ship! Do you want me to ship?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey LC ... $105 to ship! Do you want me to ship?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    That will be $355 total? Can you bring it with you when you come this way?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are heading to Texas in January,never been there before,staying for about 10 weeks.Any suggestions on "must see " .We have already booked a number a campsites ,mainly from dallas area to mission area.Staying in the Austin---San Antonio area for one week the start of feb and two weeks the middle of mar. near fredricksburg.Have heard a lot about the wild flowers in the hill country area.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Grumpypapa - We really enjoy the KOA on Gembler Road in San Antonio. There is a bus stop right in front of the park so you can get to the River Walk and Alamo without having to drive. We've stayed there three times now, and will go back again.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live a bit west of Austin and while a longer route, may I suggest coming south on 281 out of Dallas/Fort Worth area and then cut across on 46 down thru Seguin.
    It sends you thru some nice areas to stop in if you're not in a hurry. We too avoid I-35 at every chance.
    Paul B.
    2017 315RLTS
    2002 GMC 3500
    2012 Harley Ultra w/ MotorTrike conversion

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin in March should be very pleasant. My folks lived in San Marcos, about 25 mi SW, and the kids and grandkids live in the Houston area, as a result we have spend a little time there.

One of the fun things we do is volunteer to be campground hosts. We have hosted twice at McKinney Falls State Park. You can get your RV in there. There are not sewer hookups, most are 30amp, but there are a few 50 amp. So if you make reservations take a look at sites 18, 19, and 20, 19 being best. 9-17 will accommodate larger RV's but they are 30 amp. 42-48 are in the "bottoms" so flat and fairly large, just mind the site size when you make reservations, 30 amp, no sewer.

Whatever you do; do not get trapped trying to pull your RV through Austin rush hour traffic. It took us three hours to make it from the Austin City Limits on the north side on I-35 to Austin Lone Star Carefree RV Resort, almost out of Austin south bound. I was so stressed when I spotted that RV park I dove for it. Nice park, a little tight, water pressure is an amazing 100psi. But I was really thankful to just get parked. Not someplace I would want to spend a long time.

Down around Kyle and Buda there are some park, but we have never stayed in them. The one next Cabello's and associated with Crescent RV looks pretty nice, but because we were out at the state park we never stayed there.

As stated above my folks lived in San Marcos, when my dad passed we spent a couple of months there. We found Pecan Park to be very pleasant with good amenities. They accept Passport America if you are there for a brief stay. Also on Passport America is Plum Creek, don't, just don't.

For a really nice Segway go to Pedernalles Falls State Park. Worth the trouble. If you can find Bastrop Lake a little north of Bastrop the campground there is a hidden gym. Our buddy Bob hosts there for the winter. Very relaxed and seldom used campground. There are several other RV parks in that area that cater to snow birds and are worthy of a stop.

When we go into San Antonio we stay at the KOA. We are not generally big fans of KOA, but this one is two blocks away from the folks that fixed our axles so we always stop in there to get the hubs, brakes, and bearings serviced.

Stephen F Foster State Park near Sealy is really nice. Big wide open sites.

In Fredericksburg we stayed at Oakwood RV park, and we stayed at Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park. Both nice places to stay. But the third time we cheated, we volunteered to be hosts at Enchanted Rock State Park, no RV camping except for the volunteers.

Another really great place to stay is Brazos Bend State Park. A little out of the beaten path, but lots of diverse activities. Walking around the lakes and stepping over the gators is an awesome experience. Just be sure to leave the dog in the RV.

We don't really like Texas that much, but have enjoyed these places while visiting the grandkids.

Dallas

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Damn Dallas, that's a lot of great info but I have a question. Of all of these, if your goal was to spend time in Austin checking clubs and such and didn't want a long drive in or out, where would you stay?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn Dallas, that's a lot of great info but I have a question. Of all of these, if your goal was to spend time in Austin checking clubs and such and didn't want a long drive in or out, where would you stay?
    I really don't have a right answer for that one. While Pecan Grove is the closest, I recall it as being extremely tight, although I never really entered the RV park, just rode by on my bicycle. I have not been to Midtown at all. That leaves Austin Lone Star Carefree RV Resort, 7 miles from 4th street area. We were staying at McKinney Falls SP the times that we went clubbing.

We hated taking the dually to that area, so we would put the bicycles in the back and head over to the Zilker Park Area. Between Zilker and Palmer Events Center is a pretty good array of public parking that doesn't get as packed up as the 4th street area. Then bicycle across the Lamar bridge, lock em up, roam around, bike back to the truck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast