User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably a little late, but Cedar Breaks State Park just outside Georgetown is pretty nice, too. Decent space between sites, well maintained when we were there two years ago. Some of the sites are *way* off level, but we managed to get in and be pretty set with a 380TH (and that was our first big trip!) No sewer connections at each site, but there's a dump station on your way out.
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rv4jesus View Post
    We live a bit west of Austin and while a longer route, may I suggest coming south on 281 out of Dallas/Fort Worth area and then cut across on 46 down thru Seguin.
    It sends you thru some nice areas to stop in if you're not in a hurry. We too avoid I-35 at every chance.
    Interesting... Thanks for the idea!

We are leaving Fort Worth in about 3 weeks (permanently) traveling South to Seguin to meet up with our solar installer, and I am dreading driving down I-35 for 4 or 5 hours.
    It looks like we could take 377 SW to Stephenville then pick up 281 there and take it due South almost all the way to San Antonio.
    Then we just need to head East on 46 for about 30 miles to Seguin!
    I'm going to have to cruise it "virtually on Google Earth to see what that road is like.

Hey by the way...
    We're going to have about a week to goof off, before we have to be down there on the 7th of May, we have to be out of our place on April 29th.
    Does anyone know of a good camping spot along 281, between FW and SA?
    We can boondock if need be but elec and water would be great.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Austin, TX in March

281 isn’t bad at all. We drive it all the time as I have a kiddo that lives near Austin and I’m north of Denton. We stay away from 35 if possible. There is a little construction just south of Stephenville before you get to Hico. There’s quite a few RV spots along the way too...just have to find your stopping point and google it I assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're on the other end of I35 from you in San Antonio and hate 35 as much as you do. 281 is a much better route, much of it 4 lanes, light traffic and much prettier. 46 to Seguin is two lane, but lots of passing lanes. There's a bypass loop around New Braunfels that you'll want to take.

There's also the 130 toll road from North of Austin to Seguin if you're in a hurry.

Bluebonnets are in full bloom in San Antonio and South. Looks like its going to be a good wild flower year and there will be a different color every couple of weeks. We've gotten some nice rains lately so everything is green. See it while you can unless you like brown.

For campgrounds, there's a COE and 2 military rec area parks at Canyon Lake or take 46 the other way toward Boerne and you've got Guadalupe SP. Boerne is a nice little town worth a day - lots of yuppie restaurants - and you're in striking distance of SA. The Missions don't get a lot of attention, but are my favorites when we have visitors.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s also tons of RV spots along the river in NB that shouldn’t be too busy this time of year. Check out Greene if you get a chance as well. Awesome little downtown area and always live music playing somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Potters Creek COE has only 2 loops open. Loop 1 and 2 are closed due to sewer pipes leaking (still making repairs from Memorial Day flood 2 years ago). On 281 between Blanco and San Antonio there are several RV spots. Depending on you schedule, Boerne has some very nice spots and the town is great for shopping. In San Antonio, we always stay at Blazing Star off of 1604 near Sea World. Cranes Mill COE on the San Antonio side of Canyon Lake (near Startzville) is small and usually booked solid on weekends. Bandara has a several RV parks, but is not very "kid friendly". Jellystone RV Hill Country (off of 306 from either 281 or IH-35 New Braunfels) is "kid friendly" but if you have a big rig you HAVE to get one of there long sites (48,50, 53,55, 57 or 59). We were in 142 last time we were there and I thought I was going to tear the side off of the Jayco 32BH - very tight with lots of trees (will test your driving skills though). Austin is not very RV friendly, there are a few RV parks on Lake Travis. New Braunfels has a several RV Parks; Hill Country off of IH35 at 131 South Rueckle Rd was re-done and is now a Sun Rv Resorts property.

Good luck and have safe travels.
    Last edited by AustexGP; 04-04-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: fix missing sentence
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    Potters Creek COE has only 2 loops open. Loop 1 and 2 are closed due to sewer pipes leaking (still making repairs from Memorial Day flood 2 years ago). On 281 between Blanco and San Antonio there are several RV spots. Depending on you schedule, Boerne has some very nice spots and the town is great for shopping. In San Antonio, we always stay at Blazing Star off of 1604 near Sea World. Cranes Mill COE on the San Antonio side of Canyon Lake (near Startzville) is small and usually booked solid on weekends. Bandara has a several RV parks, but is not very "kid friendly". Jellystone RV Hill Country (off of 306 from either 281 or IH-35 New Braunfels) is "kid friendly" but if you have a big rig you HAVE to get one of there long sites (48,50, 53,55, 57 or 59). We were in 142 last time we were there and I thought I was going to tear the side off of the Jayco 32BH - very tight with lots of trees (will test your driving skills though). Austin is not very RV friendly, there are a few RV parks on Lake Travis. New Braunfels has a several RV Parks; Hill Country off of IH35 at 131 South Rueckle Rd was re-done and is now a Sun Rv Resorts property.

Good luck and have safe travels.
    Thank You for all this info!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What about Belton Lake? Anyone ever stayed here? This looks pretty nice.
    Just need a place to hang out for a few days while we wait for our solar installer to arrive.

White Flint Park

or this one...

Westcliff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12