User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Location

Has anyone put their batteries in the electrical/plumbing area behind the wall in the pass through? seems like it would just fit and then it would free up that front compartment.

I am doing a solar install and already have a combiner box up on the roof with wires run down into that area. Lithium batteries and inverter are coming next week.
    Adam & Juli
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Ford F350 CCSB SRW
    Comfort Ride Hitch Model 184 and Reese Sidewinder

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandliving View Post
    Has anyone put their batteries in the electrical/plumbing area behind the wall in the pass through? seems like it would just fit and then it would free up that front compartment.

I am doing a solar install and already have a combiner box up on the roof with wires run down into that area. Lithium batteries and inverter are coming next week.

I was thinking about doing the same thing Adam as I want to add a couple more batteries and I would love to get both the room and shift the weight back toward the axles some. I have not read of anyone doing this so I will be interested to see what develops.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I was thinking about doing the same thing Adam as I want to add a couple more batteries and I would love to get both the room and shift the weight back toward the axles some. I have not read of anyone doing this so I will be interested to see what develops.
    I am doing a custom lithium battery

Bought calb cells and will be building a 900 Amp Hour 12V battery. also a victron 3000 watt inverter, mppt controller and some distribution fuses. I will be documenting it as soon as I get everything set.

It will be tight to get everything in there because of the plumbing being run as the crow flies but with a little patience I think I can manage it.

I took off the bathroom wall to run antennas for cell boosters and internet into the cabinet above the hutch, and at the same time ran dc power in there and also 2 pairs of 6 awg cable up to the roof for the panels. So all thats left is to put up the panels on the roof. And then the batteries.

Everything should be in next week so im getting close.
    Adam & Juli
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Ford F350 CCSB SRW
    Comfort Ride Hitch Model 184 and Reese Sidewinder

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandliving View Post
    I am doing a custom lithium battery

Bought calb cells and will be building a 900 Amp Hour 12V battery. also a victron 3000 watt inverter, mppt controller and some distribution fuses. I will be documenting it as soon as I get everything set.

It will be tight to get everything in there because of the plumbing being run as the crow flies but with a little patience I think I can manage it.

I took off the bathroom wall to run antennas for cell boosters and internet into the cabinet above the hutch, and at the same time ran dc power in there and also 2 pairs of 6 awg cable up to the roof for the panels. So all thats left is to put up the panels on the roof. And then the batteries.

Everything should be in next week so im getting close.
    How do you make a custom battery? Might be worth doing the lithium ions are so expensive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These aren't lithium ion, but lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo). The way you build custom batteries is to buy individual 3.2V cells, and use them in groups to get to "12" volts. Then collect as many groups as you need to get the amp-hours you want.
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiaforever View Post
    These aren't lithium ion, but lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo). The way you build custom batteries is to buy individual 3.2V cells, and use them in groups to get to "12" volts. Then collect as many groups as you need to get the amp-hours you want.
    same way they make 24V aircraft batteries.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Connecting 4 cells in series gives 12.8v with the same AH rating as a single cell. Connecting the 12.8v 4 cell series group in parallel to another 4 cell series group will keep voltage the same and double the AHs.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiaforever View Post
    I’m confused, op is “grandliving”.
    Are you the same person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I’m confused, op is “grandliving”.
    Are you the same person?

Hi, DMB.

Not the same person. Just commenting on the reference in the thread (#4) to "Lithium Ion".

-Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh ok, the CALB reference. Gotcha.

It’s actually better if he went with Battle Born since they do in depth testing on all cells they receive but only use the ones that test above X voltage. I’ve seen multiple failures on those cells people randomly buy from China. Plus the fact that each BB battery has a built in BMS. Pretty sure you’re not going to find a CALB supplier with a 10 year warranty either. You get what you pay for in this technology and this isn’t an area I’d recommend taking the budget route on.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast