Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across this the other day, as I am considering moving out of state for tax purposes.

http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retire...rees/index.php

As mentioned above, check out your health care coverage before moving.
    I have great health coverage if I stay in state, but limited if I move out of state.

Good luck
    Seth and Becca
    2016 RAM Longhorn 3500 DRW "Brown Beast"
    2017 Momentum 376TH "Tajmahauler"
    2007 Road King "The Girlfriend"

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psdelejw5x.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Let me frank about full timing. I'd be very hesitant to spend the winter in an RV in a place with harsh weather like you have in Utah. Many full timers are a little more mobile and head to places like Florida, South Texas or Southern Arizona for the winter. Dealing with frozen water lines, gray and black water tanks in really cold temperatures is not pleasant. And being a full timer is best when you have sufficient financial resources for unexpected problems.
    Even in the Salt Lake area the winters aren't that bad, but where we were looking at the lot (southern Utah) the weather is generally slightly colder than Las Vegas in the winter and not quite as hot in the summer. The temperature hasn't been below 19F at the park there yet this winter - I keep track.

We've been down to -6F this year north of Salt Lake (-1F last year) with a heated water line, full fresh tank as backup, and haven't had any incoming or interior freezing. The sewer line (gray water to be specific) froze once at the -6F due to a dip in the hose, but some hot water from the outside shower was able to get it running again.

The one time the Suburban furnace stopped working, we had electric as a backup, and when I was able to actually speak to a Suburban tech (I knew what the problem was, but needed some info on getting to it as our model was different than the YouTube videos showed) he was able to tell me and I had it fixed in less than an hour. He also sent me a service manual, and with that I can fix almost anything in the future. Give me the correct manual with part numbers and torque specifications and I can do a lot.

We had a reasonable savings put away, plus money for the planned medical bills. The unplanned ones were large enough they killed all of that. That, unfortunately, seems to happen to a lot of folks. But it's OK, we managed.

I've worked with a lot of home-schoolers (work with some now in fact) and have even taught some classes for some of them. I know my wife and I can handle it, and I have confidence that our daughter will too, but we are open to flexibility on that.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    But the best reason to be in Middle or East Tennessee is that you're within a day's drive of 1/2 the population of the U.S. You can get home to see the children and grandchildren since it's in the middle of the country. You can easily be in Florida, or in Michigan. Virginia and the Mid Atlantic is also easily reached. Camping in the region is just so interesting without having to go that far.

Sorry, but being within 1/2 days drive of half the people in the US sounds like the best reason NOT to camp /live there.
    18 Momentum 376TH
    13 GMC Dually Duramax Denali
    08 Kawasaki ZG1400 Concours

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a retired attorney and corporate consultant. We selected Florida with services from American Home Base and are more than pleased with the choice. E.G., When we switched our health insurance from AL to FL we got better coverage with no added premium and we can use any Humana network physician wherever we are in the country. We are wintering in FL but will head West in March. There are no personal property taxes, income taxes or ad valorum taxes in FL affecting our TV or RV. We can re-register our vehicles and DL's on line. We are adopting FL for domicile and residence. When I researched SD and TX they weren't as favorable for all elements of financial survival so we settled on FL.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, are you full timer or do you have physical residence in Florida somewhere. The whole claiming residence somewhere without address for license, etc I am still not wrapping me head around d.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eric & Andrea
    2016 Silverado 1500 LT 4x4
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only "physical" address is that of American Home Base. THat will allow me to change DL's to FL, after registering TV and RV in FL. So, for all intents and purposes, I am, or soon iwll be, a FL resident and Domiciliary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Free Hank View Post
    My only "physical" address is that of American Home Base. THat will allow me to change DL's to FL, after registering TV and RV in FL. So, for all intents and purposes, I am, or soon iwll be, a FL resident and Domiciliary.
    I have used American Home Base for 20 years, box #1941. My Driver's License address is tag number on my trailer
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric91Z View Post
    The whole claiming residence somewhere without address for license, etc I am still not wrapping me head around d.
    Tell me about it. This February will be our 6th anniversary full timing. The unexpected expenses have nibbled at our savings. As far as domicile and licensing it gets really fun. We use St. Brendan's Isle in north Florida for our domicile. We retired from Florida. So drivers license has not been an issue, we just changed address and renew online. Income tax is easy, just change address, IRS accepts PMB (Personal Mail Box) as an address. Banks tend to be a little touchier about it. Some have required that we list a physical address, but allow us to have a mailing address.

Now vehicle registration gets to be real fun. We don't go back to Florida much, we like skiing so are wintering in Park City, UT. Coldest night we have stayed in is -22F, yep below zero. When our truck died we were in Wyoming, bought a new truck. Fussed over getting it registered/licensed. Neighbor told us about the South Dakota non-resident registration rules. Checked it out. Sure enough, took the paper work into the tax office and they let me register my truck using my FL domicile address. Saved about 2% on sales tax too.

So we were in Washington this summer. Traded our motorcycles in. Turns out Washington is very lax on address/resident requirements. Used our sons address in Redmond, WA.

So our truck has SD plates, the RV has FL plates, the motorcycles have WA plates.

We just made a down payment on a new Momentum 376TH in CO. Still trying to figure out where we are going to register it. Looking at the Montana LLC thing.

Dallas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Looking at the Montana LLC thing.

Dallas
    Please explain or provide link to what this might be. Appreciated and thanks

/ed
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think these three links will do a good job of informing you about the Montana LLC thing. Our domicile is in Florida, our RV has spent less than two months there in 5 years. I think that people who park their RV's at their homes for 6 months would be asking for trouble. I think the third link does a good job of discussing the pro's and con's. I am going to register my new RV in South Dakota. Non-resident license/registration is legal there. If/when I go back to Florida I will transfer it all back to Florida.

https://community.fmca.com/topic/408...a-montana-llc/

http://heggenlawoffice.com/tax-free-...Montana-LLC-RV

http://www.myrv.us/Pgs/RV/montana.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast