Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery disconect switch

I'm over thinking this I guess, the owners manual says -turn the battery disconnect switch on when you are ready to use the RV- so it means the opposite of disconnect? The battery should not charge when the switch is in off position I assume.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike2mts View Post
    I'm over thinking this I guess, the owners manual says -turn the battery disconnect switch on when you are ready to use the RV- so it means the opposite of disconnect? The battery should not charge when the switch is in off position I assume.
    That's correct. The battery Disconnect switch needs to be on the "on" position in order for the batteries to charge while plugged into shore power. Also, check your radio, carbon monoxide detector, etc to see if they remain on drawing power when the switch is disconnected. Do this when you are NOT connected to shore power otherwise items will be on. My switch seems to turn everything off, but I have read that some don't.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I overthought this one as well. Logic to me seemed to mean Disconnect "ON" meant the battery was disconnected. So much for my logic I guess.
    Mike & Marta
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD CC standard bed Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride 184 hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old trailer had the on off at battery that I installed. Thanks for confirming

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ask during the tour why the battery switch didn't turn of everything and was told at the very least they are required to leave smoke and propane detectors on. He said that some people use the battery switch to conserve battery while boondockiing which would leave them without any detectors. Of coarse, he also said it wouldn't cause your battery to go dead with just the detectors on. I have put a battery switch on the leads coming from the battery so nothing is powered when in storage.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the switch is misnamed. If it was just called the Battery Switch, ON" and "Off" or "On" and "DISCONNECT" would make more sense.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody hell. Just had this problem and I was freaking out thinking someone was very wrong. I brought our new 29RS home the other week and had no issues. Plugged into our garage and we even slept in it for a couple of days. Nothing failed, we were happy.

Then a couple of days ago, I tried playing around with the auto-leveling and I was getting a Jack LR error. Whenever I pressed anything, it would just power down. Followed many instructions on how to fix the Jack LR issue but nothing helped. Then this morning, I try again and I get a battery low error. Much better. I then check my battery and it's at 9V!! What? I'm plugged in to my garage at 15A. Then I searched this forum and found this post. Turns out, that stupid battery disconnect is mislabeled. If a disconnect is ON, the battery should not be connected, but it is. It's more a 'battery' switch, on is on, off is off. Super annoying and I likely damaged my battery in the process. Thankfully it's a crappy Lead Acid battery and not an expensive AGM battery.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joel.girard View Post
    Bloody hell. Just had this problem and I was freaking out thinking someone was very wrong. I brought our new 29RS home the other week and had no issues. Plugged into our garage and we even slept in it for a couple of days. Nothing failed, we were happy.

Then a couple of days ago, I tried playing around with the auto-leveling and I was getting a Jack LR error. Whenever I pressed anything, it would just power down. Followed many instructions on how to fix the Jack LR issue but nothing helped. Then this morning, I try again and I get a battery low error. Much better. I then check my battery and it's at 9V!! What? I'm plugged in to my garage at 15A. Then I searched this forum and found this post. Turns out, that stupid battery disconnect is mislabeled. If a disconnect is ON, the battery should not be connected, but it is. It's more a 'battery' switch, on is on, off is off. Super annoying and I likely damaged my battery in the process. Thankfully it's a crappy Lead Acid battery and not an expensive AGM battery.
    Imagine that ! !

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the name should be changed from 'battery disconnect' to 'battery'? Then it would make sense because a disconnected switch that's off would imply it's on. My head hurts.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to share my personal experience. My factory switch in the basement, left enough of a drain, that a few weeks in storage (I have no hook up where I store) would leave me in a place where i couldn't use the front jacks without hooking up to the truck. I installed a disconnect switch at the battery and now leave the factory switch alone, use only the switch mounted on the battery box, and now my battery stays charged. Can't forget to turn it back to "connect" when you hook up, as I need it in "connect" mode to raise the landing gear.

Easy and inexpensive mod.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast