Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't advertise on social media sites that you are going to be gone. Bad guys troll those sites to figure out who's away.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we're not the only ones who live in the house, so it doesn't sit empty.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 out of all those is shutting that water off. I had neighbors who didn't and ended up with a couple of feet of water in their basement after a burst pipe. Water can destroy your house often more effectively than fire.
    R. H. & Jessica, Virginia http://blog.borderlinechaos.com/wp-c...dStatesMap.gif
    2017 Momentum 350m 5th Wheeler, B&W Companion 18k hitch
    2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruach-Elisha View Post
    #1 out of all those is shutting that water off. I had neighbors who didn't and ended up with a couple of feet of water in their basement after a burst pipe. Water can destroy your house often more effectively than fire.
    A bit of a diversion from the original topic, but the most common cause of this is a burst hose to the washing machine. This can do huge damage in a matter of hours, particularly if your laundry room is not in the basement. Definitely worth the few dollars to change these out for the stainless steel braid type. After a couple of years of running hot water, the original rubber hose will be very brittle.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two day before I used to make checklist like what is necessary before leaving house i.e. switch off electric connections. Taking pets to friends house. Telling neighbors about the trip.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we go, thermostat is turned down, all available bottled water and bowls are filled with water and we keep fridge and freezer full, works less when full, water heater and extra stuff is turned off, timers are already installed on outside lights, and we use timers to replicate our normal activities in the mostly used areas of the house, yard is taken care of, neighbors keep it checked out and use driveway, yard is taken care of etc. basically our place stays as busy as if we were there. We have a large locking mailbox installed in a brick pillar matching our house that holds about 3 months of mail. Our mailman also doesn't fill it with garbage. So what ever you do, just do it. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just notify neighbors, because they are too good.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides turning off the water I also open several faucets to relieve the pressure on the system. Be sure your water heater is off, you don't want it firing up with less that a full tank of water.
    I have an outdoor gas grill piped into the gas line in the basement. I shut off the gas there to the grill.
    Run the garbage disposal.
    Leave the doors open to the washing machine and dishwasher.
    Empty the waste baskets and bag up the garbage. If it's got kitchen waste and/or dirty diapers we'll drop it off at one of our kids place.
    Close all bathroom, closet and bedroom doors as you are leaving. In the unlikely event of a fire it would slow the progression into other areas of the house.
    I don't have an alarm system but I do have have trail cameras that I use deer hunting. I set them up with fresh batteries to watch certain areas of the house. I can't prevent a burglary but I'll have nice pictures of who did it when I get home.
    NO ONE, not our kids, close family, neighbors, etc are allowed in the house while we are gone. With the water off, refridge empty, electronics unplugged, certain breakers shut off, etc there's no reason for anyone to be in there. One person, and only one person, has a garage remote to come in, and knows where the laundry room door key is at, in the event of an actual emergency.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just say goodby to our son who lives here. Nice to have someone to watch the place and take care of it. The bonus is we get rent at the same time.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We prepare the house for freezing (although we leave the heat on low) by blowing out the water lines, draining and turning off the water heater and putting antifreeze in the traps and toilets. BTW, if you cover the toilet bowl with saran wrap, the antifreeze will not evaporate before you get home.

In past years, we have counted on a neighbour to keep an eye on things . . . and we still do, but we have added remote internet monitoring of temperature and furnace, plus a motion activated camera that records to the cloud and notifies us. We chose the Nest brand of products. https://nest.com/cameras/ Not cheap but recommended to us by one of our kids. Installation was as simple as advertised. Basically download the app, plug in each device, set a few basic parameters and the software/hardware figures everything out.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast