User Tag List

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I often regret leaving the Navy, wondering why I thought the civilian life was somehow going to be better than it was before I joined, and wishing I had retired from the military. That pension would be nice to have these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mommy signed to let me join USAF in Oct 1971 as I was only 17 when I graduated HS. After Law Enforcement Academy went to Kunsan AB, Korea (3rd SPS) until 1973. Altus AFB, Okla, 1973-1974. Back to Kunsan AB to 3rd RRS, 1974-1975. Back stateside to Wurtsmith AFB, 1975-1978. (discharged)
    Patrick & Marla with Boomer and Sooner

2007 Chev 2500 Allison Duramax
    2014 Solitude 368RD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Navy Spook (NavSecGru/Signals Intell) 1970-73.

Following boot camp (February) in Orlando, FL, I never saw another Navy base or much less, a ship.
    After 18 mos stateside training in DC and Texas, was deployed to the Middle East.
    Spent 41 more years as a DoD civilian in the same field. Retired 2007. REALLY retired 2015.

No regrets. It gave me a career. Made lifelong friends.
    A bunch of us old guys gather every year on 11/11 to knock back a few pitchers of beer and tell some lies.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingerlonger View Post
    Navy Spook (NavSecGru/Signals Intell) 1970-73.

Following boot camp (February) in Orlando, FL, I never saw another Navy base or much less, a ship.
    After 18 mos stateside training in DC and Texas, was deployed to the Middle East.
    Spent 41 more years as a DoD civilian in the same field. Retired 2007. REALLY retired 2015.

No regrets. It gave me a career. Made lifelong friends.
    A bunch of us old guys gather every year on 11/11 to knock back a few pitchers of beer and tell some lies.

K
    Ken, were you a "T-brancher"? That's what I was the equivalent of in the Air Force.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I often regret leaving the Navy, wondering why I thought the civilian life was somehow going to be better than it was before I joined, and wishing I had retired from the military. That pension would be nice to have these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did the math, and went in with the expectation that I would get out as late as 15 years if the the right opportunity presented itself. It did.

I was at 12 years in and facing a 1-year remote to Korea, or tripling my salary with GE Aerospace Military & Data Systems Operations. I thought long and hard for about 8 seconds and chose GE.

Only time I regretted it was when 9/11 happened. I knew the AF was short handed in my career field, so I knew some people still at HQ. I made a call and told them I'd come back in so my kid wouldn't have to go off and fight this one. This was 12 years since I had left (I was 46 years old at this time). I got a call a couple of days later, and they said "Jim, thanks for the offer, but we're gonna let the younger kids fight this one".

I never felt so old in all my life.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the military should be mandatory for all young men after high school unless they are successfully pursing college, technical training or some apprenticeship in a valid field. We have so many young guys today just pissing their life away with tattoos and their pants hanging 4 inches below their underwear!! They usually end up doing or selling drugs with no compass or direction in life!! It's a waste of humanity so shameful to our country. I know of far too many wasted lives and families torn apart. A good drill instructor could teach these young men respect for themselves and their country. Yes, I also have never heard anyone say they were sorry they served in the military!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    I think the military should be mandatory for all young men after high school unless they are successfully pursing college, technical training or some apprenticeship in a valid field. We have so many young guys today just pissing their life away with tattoos and their pants hanging 4 inches below their underwear!! They usually end up doing or selling drugs with no compass or direction in life!! It's a waste of humanity so shameful to our country. I know of far too many wasted lives and families torn apart. A good drill instructor could teach these young men respect for themselves and their country. Yes, I also have never heard anyone say they were sorry they served in the military!!
    You're talking about Millenials - they demand everything be given to them. They can't even mow a lawn, as they think that's beneath them.

Did you see the new anti-millennial car theft device? It's called a stick shift!
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should just have the millenials do what they are good at. Put them behind a computer, and we would never have to worry about being hacked again. Unless it's by them.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Ken, were you a "T-brancher"? That's what I was the equivalent of in the Air Force.
    Jim -- I was an "I-brancher." "I was almost an R-brancher, but my parents got married." If you've spent much time with old CT's,
    you've probably heard that joke before.

I did get to do a bit of amateur T-branch work on deployments later as a civilian, and even taught myself to copy code. Got up to
    6-8 gpm, but later gave it up. I've run across a couple of other USAFSS/ESC guys in this Grand Design community.

BTW: I did spend 6 mos in San Vito one week.

Other than Brindisi, you guys always had the best bases.

Take care,

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US Army enlisted - 1967 - 1970. Basic and Advanced Infantry at the now defunct Fort Dix. Jump School at Ft Benning. Stationed at Ft Bragg with the 82nd for a couple of months then deployed to Vietnam with the 3rd Brigade, 82nd Airborne, A/1/505 during President Johnson's "troop infusion" during the Tet Offensive. Spent one year in country and went from PFC to Sgt. while there. Rifle squad leader. Returned to the 82nd at Bragg after Vietnam and spent a little over a year there in HHC/3/325. Got out, got a job with a major corporation, went to night school and the rest is the stuff that legends are made of ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast