User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    First, I totally agree with your suggestion to select a TV based on actual tongue/pin weight, but I think we need to be very clear about the yellow sticker payload on both the RV and TV.

I just want to be very clear what the yellow sticker GVWR really is so that people new to RV'ing won't think TV payload - and choice of RV - is restricted by the yellow door sticker. The manufacturer can, within reason, adjust this GVWR weight for marketing purposes. For instance, I understand that Massachutes considers a truck over 10,000 as commercial so Ford offers the same F250 with a GVWR of 10,000 or 9,900. My F350 can be ordered with a GVWR or 10,000 or 11,500. Peruse the truck manufacturers' web pages and you'll find all sorts of idiosyncrasies such as this. Some states base registration cost on GVWR, others base license requirements on it. In my state of Texas, I can pull my 13,995 fifth wheel with my SRW F350 with a class c (car) drivers license. Rate both vehicles on their actual axle weights and the total would likely be greater than 26,000 and a class A non-commercial license would be required.

You won't find a clear explanation of this anywhere. The manufacturer is not going to overtly state that they offer various GVWR's to allow buyers to evade taxes, but ask anyone who runs a fleet of trucks and they'll give you a wink. Think about it, if this isn't true, then why is there another door sticker that lists gross axle weight ratings that total greater than GVWR.

As RV'ers and non-commercial operators, members of this forum are highly unlikely to be scaled so this little GVWR game doesn't affect us, but RV'ers need to know this bit of trivia to avoid buying to much truck because a salesman is showing them one with an artificially low GVWR. By the same token, RV'ers do need to know when they need to upgrade their drivers license.

Probably more than you wanted to know. Time to pop a bowl of popcorn and sit back.
    Absolutely right brother...I'm so amazed that so many people don't get this. The yellow sticker is all about money...for DMV in commercial environments. In the beginning, it was about emission requirements. I was there...

This whole argument separates those who understand and those who just believe what they read...some people are educated beyond their intelligence...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I totally agree with your suggestion to select a TV based on actual tongue/pin weight, but I think we need to be very clear about the yellow sticker payload on both the RV and TV.

I just want to be very clear what the yellow sticker GVWR really is so that people new to RV'ing won't think TV payload - and choice of RV - is restricted by the yellow door sticker. The manufacturer can, within reason, adjust this GVWR weight for marketing purposes. For instance, I understand that Massachutes considers a truck over 10,000 as commercial so Ford offers the same F250 with a GVWR of 10,000 or 9,900. My F350 can be ordered with a GVWR or 10,000 or 11,500. Peruse the truck manufacturers' web pages and you'll find all sorts of idiosyncrasies such as this. Some states base registration cost on GVWR, others base license requirements on it. In my state of Texas, I can pull my 13,995 fifth wheel with my SRW F350 with a class c (car) drivers license. Rate both vehicles on their actual axle weights and the total would likely be greater than 26,000 and a class A non-commercial license would be required.

You won't find a clear explanation of this anywhere. The manufacturer is not going to overtly state that they offer various GVWR's to allow buyers to evade taxes, but ask anyone who runs a fleet of trucks and they'll give you a wink. Think about it, if this isn't true, then why is there another door sticker that lists gross axle weight ratings that total greater than GVWR.

As RV'ers and non-commercial operators, members of this forum are highly unlikely to be scaled so this little GVWR game doesn't affect us, but RV'ers need to know this bit of trivia to avoid buying to much truck because a salesman is showing them one with an artificially low GVWR. By the same token, RV'ers do need to know when they need to upgrade their drivers license.

Probably more than you wanted to know. Time to pop a bowl of popcorn and sit back.
    South TX,
    I will disagree that the yellow tag on a truck is adjusted based on nothing. If Ford raised payload, one or more components such as the cooling system, final drive selection with a higher ratio, tires or suspension would have to be modified. Trucks today are certified and go through stringent durability tests so if Ford was being dishonest in the past, they certainly cannot do this today. Can you confirm nothing changed between these two payloads other than the sticker? There is also a gray tag that will also spell out axle loading that's in the door but the simple thought of matching max GVW of the trailer and max tongue weight based on percentage simply works.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    South TX,
    I will disagree that the yellow tag on a truck is adjusted based on nothing. If Ford raised payload, one or more components such as the cooling system, final drive selection with a higher ratio, tires or suspension would have to be modified. Trucks today are certified and go through stringent durability tests so if Ford was being dishonest in the past, they certainly cannot do this today. Can you confirm nothing changed between these two payloads other than the sticker? There is also a gray tag that will also spell out axle loading that's in the door but the simple thought of matching max GVW of the trailer and max tongue weight based on percentage simply works.
    Go to a manufacturer's order guide or their webpage where you can spec a new truck. Select different GVWR's and you'll see that nothing else changes. Select different spring packages (snow plow, camper, etc) and see if the GVWR changes.

GVWR is just paperwork that allows buyers to game the system for the purposes of licensing and registration. Go by axle weights to see what a truck can really carry.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axle weight ratings are just one component of the total picture that results in a GVWR for the truck. Combined axle weight ratings will always be higher than the GVWR. Other components that are part of the equation are tires, wheels, brakes, suspension, frame, axle size, and probably some things I missed. The team of engineers that design the truck obviously take ALL of those components into consideration and assign a GVWR. Every single truck manufacturer will also state.....Do not EVER exceed ANY of the rated weight numbers. To me, that doesn't mean you get to pick and choose which weight rating is "OK" to go over, you are very clearly told to NEVER exceed ANY of them....GVWR, GCVWR, PAYLOAD or Cargo Carrying Capacity, RAWR, FAWR, Tire load rating, and any others I may have left out. What a person chooses to do with that warning is entirely up to them, but if they exceed them, that still doesn't make it right
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Axle weight ratings are just one component of the total picture that results in a GVWR for the truck. Combined axle weight ratings will always be higher than the GVWR. Other components that are part of the equation are tires, wheels, brakes, suspension, frame, axle size, and probably some things I missed. The team of engineers that design the truck obviously take ALL of those components into consideration and assign a GVWR. Every single truck manufacturer will also state.....Do not EVER exceed ANY of the rated weight numbers. To me, that doesn't mean you get to pick and choose which weight rating is "OK" to go over, you are very clearly told to NEVER exceed ANY of them....GVWR, GCVWR, PAYLOAD or Cargo Carrying Capacity, RAWR, FAWR, Tire load rating, and any others I may have left out. What a person chooses to do with that warning is entirely up to them, but if they exceed them, that still doesn't make it right
    Jumping right in, eh? This is, I think, the favorite topic to debate and discuss on this forum. The subject of "best tire" is one we like to banter about, too.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Jumping right in, eh? This is, I think, the favorite topic to debate and discuss on this forum. The subject of "best tire" is one we like to banter about, too.
    Yea, I guess so. I can't count the number of times I've given advice on towing and weight limits, etc. I learned that lesson the hard way when I bought a 2011 F250 CrewCab 4x4 Diesel, figuring it would tow about any trailer I put behind it. So several years later when I got ready to buy my first trailer, I realized that the payload on the truck was horribly lacking.....2148 lbs to be exact. I had planned to buy a 38-39' 5ver toy hauler and ended up getting a smaller tow behind. The nail in the coffin was when I decided to add an aux tank for more diesel fuel and quickly learned I was over payload by more than I was comfortable with. I put my mistake to a good cause though, I learned a LOT about weight ratings and how all of that tires together. Next truck is my current truck...F350 CrewCab Dually diesel with 5270 lbs of payload.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. Think about it, if this isn't true, then why is there another door sticker that lists gross axle weight ratings that total greater than GVWR.

Very Simple Why the Axle Ratings are different than GVWR. A little reading and you will understand that GVWR is Chassis Rating and has nothing to do with Axle Ratings. This artilcle has been reprinted in RAM, Ford and GM month news letters. I will provide a link to the article.

https://www.ntea.com/NTEA/Member_ben...rk_trucks.aspx

Often, GVWR and gross vehicle weight (GVW) are thought to be the same, but they are not. A truck’s GVWR is the maximum weight rating established by the chassis manufacturer. GVW is the total weight of the truck and payload at a point in time.

There’s a common misconception that a truck’s GVWR is determined by adding gross axle weight ratings (GAWRs) together for all axles. Although this was a common way of calculating GVWR many years ago, it’s no longer an accurate method. The chassis manufacturer task of establishing a vehicle GVWR is much more difficult today due to advancement of safety system standards and how vehicles meet these requirements. This is why many trucks have a GVWR much lower than the combined axle ratings. It is not uncommon for a truck with a GVWR of 19,500 pounds to have a front axle rated at 7,500 pounds and a rear axle rated at 14,700 pounds. Safety standards that apply to braking, vehicle stability, and chassis manufacturer internal standards for durability, dynamic stability and handling can restrict GVWR even though the sum of the axle ratings exceeds 22,000 pounds. In this instance, the OEM set the GVWR at 19,500 pounds based on test results and vehicle dynamic performance to ensure a safe, reliable truck.
    As a company or fleet, you’re placing your employees in these vehicles. It is very important to company wellbeing and employee safety to make sure the trucks you purchase are designed for their intended purposes, and GVWR and GCWR are specified properly for safe, efficient operation.
    By Bob Raybuck
Director of Technical Services
NTEA “
    Last edited by CWSWine; 02-12-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Yea, I guess so. I can't count the number of times I've given advice on towing and weight limits, etc. I learned that lesson the hard way when I bought a 2011 F250 CrewCab 4x4 Diesel, figuring it would tow about any trailer I put behind it. So several years later when I got ready to buy my first trailer, I realized that the payload on the truck was horribly lacking.....2148 lbs to be exact. I had planned to buy a 38-39' 5ver toy hauler and ended up getting a smaller tow behind. The nail in the coffin was when I decided to add an aux tank for more diesel fuel and quickly learned I was over payload by more than I was comfortable with. I put my mistake to a good cause though, I learned a LOT about weight ratings and how all of that tires together. Next truck is my current truck...F350 CrewCab Dually diesel with 5270 lbs of payload.
    Almost exactly my story, too. Look at my profile and you'll see a picture of two trucks. The '17 250 Platinum was bought new--and then I learned about "The Sticker" (through this forum). The 250 was traded for the (used) '17 Platinum 350 DRW I have now. No more payload issues!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a manufacturer's order guide or their webpage where you can spec a new truck. Select different GVWR's and you'll see that nothing else changes. Select different spring packages (snow plow, camper, etc) and see if the GVWR changes.

GVWR is just paperwork that allows buyers to game the system for the purposes of licensing and registration. Go by axle weights to see what a truck can really carry.
    I don't know if your premise applies to all makes and models but I did compare my particular vehicle, a 2016 Silverado HD2500 Duramax 4X4 CC std. box to the 3500. These are Chevrolet specs, base model to base model.

Base curb weight: 2500 - 7392lbs
    3500 - 7395lbs

GVWR 2500 - 10,000
    3500 - 11,500

Payload 2500 - 2583
    3500 - 4080

The 3500 weighs 3lbs more than the 2500. The 3500 has a GVWR of +1500lbs over the 2500. The 3500 payload is +1497, reflecting the 3lb curb weight difference.
    Brake and axle part numbers are the same, there appears to be very little difference, if any, between these trucks. The 3lb curb weight difference is probably in the tires.

This may not hold true for other makes, etc. In my particular case, I wouldn't feel unsafe if I were to exceed my "paper" payload and stay within my tire and axle ratings. YMMV. My axle ratings total 11,500lbs. The tire ratings exceed the axle ratings. I seriously doubt my chassis will fold up or some such if I'm over payload.

SRW to DRW, now that's a different story.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SouthTX,

I've not looked so much into Ford trucks but for GM trucks (I am not a spokesperson for GM) the yellow tag payload is the "As Optioned" payload. Years ago, manufactures were tweaking the curb weight on trucks with a strategy of leaving off items that could be deleted. Since SAE certification, your yellow tag sticker on payload is accurate. At least on a GM truck. Its about many factors including the powertrain, wheels, tires (yes even P tires), suspension etc. Before SAE ratings, manufactures have been so competitive (think racing) where they were looking for an edge. Inexcusable but none the less, its in the past. See link below.

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/08/...late-curb-wei/
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast