I decided to try putting together a WiFi antenna system to improve the signal when in an RV park. The off-the-shelf solutions are pretty expensive so I figured I could MacGyver something together. I found a great write up on using a mast-mounted directional antenna and wifi access point to boost the signal.
http://davidelmore.com/djv/wifi-repeater/

I ordered a Nanostation loco M2 antenna off Amazon for $70 and used these instructions to configure the antenna as a router. This part could be a bit tricky if you don’t have any understanding of networks, but the instructions are pretty good. Basically you configure the antenna as a router that is connected to the campground’s wifi access point, which you do through a web browser. Then connect your computer or phone to the RV’s access point and you are in business.

Here comes a semi-technical explanation for the geeks. You don’t need to understand this paragraph to make it all work.

The antenna/router is connected by a POE Ethernet cable to a wifi access point - I used an Apple AirPort but almost any brand should work. A Power-over-Ethernet (POE) adapter is included with the antenna so you don’t have to run power to the antenna as well. Configure the AP as a wifi bridge so that it doesn’t do anything except provide local wifi service. The router\antenna runs NAT and DHCP so that all local wifi connections are routed through the local AP to the antenna. Devices obtain their IP address from the router which does NAT so multiple devices can be connected.

Next I put up the mast. This is a directional antenna, so the idea is to extend it high above the other trailers and point it at the building containing the campground’s wifi router. I bought a painter’s telescoping extension pole - its a 3 piece 12’ aluminum pole with a threaded end for attaching a standard paint roller. I attached it to the rig’s ladder using hose clamps. I cut the handle off an old paint roller and attached the antenna to that using a hose clamp. Then I just screwed it onto the threads on the top of the mast, connected a long Ethernet cord and then extended the pole. Rotated the pole so the antenna faced toward the signal and tightened the clamps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28A35B69-93EC-4786-A767-6A7BC1E09A0B.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	938.0 KB 
ID:	13910

Name:	1033466B-8073-44B5-8885-21F430C0FB7A.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	906.4 KB 
ID:	13911

Name:	C2C06424-59A7-4068-97D6-A539A82BC33F.jpeg 
Views:	230 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	13909

I mounted the AP in the empty space under the stairs. Then put the POE adapter and a power bar on the wall next to the basement door. This way I can turn the whole system on with the switch on the power bar. Connected the AP to the LAN port on the adapter with a short Ethernet cable. Then I ran the Ethernet cable from the antenna in through the cable hatch under the basement floor and plugged into the POE on the adapter.

Name:	9ABC3EE9-3292-447B-8D4E-79B3321B0026.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	13905

Name:	CA0A6C4E-FDAF-444F-B33B-9B84097092FF.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	13908

Everything seems to work in my backyard, but the true test will be on the next trip.

Bob