Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Propane SMELL

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Same comment as TucsonJim and RamGunner . . . when I have had a tank filled at a place that uses the "spitter valve" (as RamGunner describes) the Mercaptan smell will linger. Where they use a weigh scale and keep the spitter closed, the smell is much less noticeable.

Some states still allow use of the spitter which is a tube at the 80% fill level. When this starts spitting liquid, filling is supposed to be stopped. This process pre-dates the internal float valve shut off.

Rob
    Rob, I did not even know they weighed tanks. In Ca., where we are as well as Matt & Dana, they use the "spitter" or at least "it's legal I guess". I have never even heard of that and every place I bought propane from used that method where you place the tank on the ground, they hook it up and use the screwdriver method. I have always been charged based on gallons, not weight. Might have nothing to do with his problem, but it's legal here. Thanks for the info. Maybe I should get out more often and see what other states do!
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    Rob, I did not even know they weighed tanks.
    Gold Country Livin' - Thats why it is a "30 lb tank" and not a "7.1 gal tank" .
    Tanks are only supposed to be filled to 80% and the OPD (overfill prevention device) float is supposed to stop fill at this point. This device can fail or jam as described by Likes to tow. Prior to the OPD, the spitter valve or the weigh scale were the only ways to know when 80% was reached. Many jurisdictions banned use of the spitter because this is a release of raw (and flammable) hydrocarbons into the air. I am really surprised that California (of all places!) allows this. In Canada the fill stations are not supposed to rely only on the OPD (although they often do) and are supposed to fill the tanks on a weigh scale. This is why every propane tank is stamped with its tare or empty weight (TW).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I filled at a commercial propane business in Little Rock and also here in Athens, Tex. Propane is their only business. In both cases they weighed the tank as they filled. I mentioned to the guy in Little Rock that I'd never seen that done before and he quoted a federal EPA regulation that prohibits intentional venting to the atmosphere (I assumed much like refrigerant....commonly referred to as freon). I don't know anything more than that so can't speak to it with any certainty.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we are getting somewhat nit picking here:

The things that are being called tanks are cylinders and DOT (in America) certified. Cylinders are portable.

Propane containers permanently installed in motor homes are called tanks and certified by the ASME.

The vent or spitter valve is the fixed maximum liquid level gauge.

Filling by weight many times result in an underfill as the operator fails to take into account the weight of the filling apparatus.

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Gold Country Livin' - Thats why it is a "30 lb tank" and not a "7.1 gal tank" .
    Tanks are only supposed to be filled to 80% and the OPD (overfill prevention device) float is supposed to stop fill at this point. This device can fail or jam as described by Likes to tow. Prior to the OPD, the spitter valve or the weigh scale were the only ways to know when 80% was reached. Many jurisdictions banned use of the spitter because this is a release of raw (and flammable) hydrocarbons into the air. I am really surprised that California (of all places!) allows this. In Canada the fill stations are not supposed to rely only on the OPD (although they often do) and are supposed to fill the tanks on a weigh scale. This is why every propane tank is stamped with its tare or empty weight (TW).

Rob
    This forum is awesome. A simple question with some good answers to attempt to troubleshoot. I never knew how much there is to learn and thank you Carnolddsm. I just have to remember all this.

Now I see that in Ca. here, we might be in violation of something, sometime in the future. I hope they don't read this forum. Maybe a new tax or agency!

We don't even smog cars in my county unless they are sold!

Poor 'ole Matt&Dana got lost in the paper trail here. I think he has a leak.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further to the points made by carnolddsm (all of which I agree with BTW) I have found that the OPDs are very "conservative". They usually shut off fill before tare + propane weight reaches the scale setting. In some jurisdictions filling a propane cylinder is a flat fee. You pay the same whether the cylinder started off partly full or completely empty. I always thought this was unfair, so never take a cylinder to these places for refill unless it is completely empty.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is why I go to U-haul they charge by what they put in not a flat fee.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt&Dana View Post
    I have noticed a propane smell when the curbside tank is hooked up and the valve is open. No issues when feeding off the street side tank. Cannot locate the leak when spraying leak detector. anyone else have this issue. Obviously I have shut the curbside down and will not use until the issue is resolved.
    I had a problem like that they could not find it with the bubble test had to do a pressure test and found it was a bad regulator

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safety Issues For Propane Leaks & My RV Leaks

While most of RVers want to do everything themselves, this is one area where repairs should be done by certified propane technicians for safety and insurance purposes. I mean, do you really want to gamble with your life and everyone around you?

Propane is not a DIY system! A small amount of propane leaked in the air is highly flammable and combustable. Also if the propane/air mix ratio is incorrect, it can cause Carbon Monoxide.

If you have a propane leak or smell propane, the first thing is to turn off the propane. Next, open all windows and doors to have the propane dissipate to ensure its safe. Third, Do not use any electrical switches or breakers, even to cut the power as that can cause an explosion. If and when safely possible, disconnect shore power to the RV, away from the propane leak. If your unable to do this or worried its dangerous, call 911 and evacuate everyone from the area.

If its safe, and the propane has dissipated (there will still be some smell as the additive is very strong and lingers for weeks), you can test for a leak using a leak spray, soapy solution, or a leak detector with the propane turned on for the brief test. This is only to determine if its serious enough to require an immediate onsite repair or if you can safely drive to the repair facility.

I've had 2 incident's so far in my Solitude.
    The first time, I had a faulty propane regulator. I was lucky to be nearby and heard the "hissing" noise and smelled propane. I immediately turned off the propane, disconnected shore power (which was far enough away). I did not cut the DC power due to the proximity of the leak. And then called for RV certified propane technician to repair it.

The second time, we bumped into the stove knobs turning on the propane. Unfortunately, we smelled propane before the detector sounded. We immediately turned off the stove, opened all windows and entry door and exited the trailer until it dissipated. We have since put on child protector caps over the stove knobs to prevent accidental "turn on" and moved the propane detector closer to the stove, on the side of the island facing the stove. Hopefully, that will sound next time there is a leak.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12