User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got that right. People will discuss weight issues until they are blue in the face, but feel that spending money on proper brakes is not something they want to do or talk about.

The irony is that the weight debate is base upon the issue of safety. They haven't a clue on how much safety they achieve with disc brakes.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The disc brakes will work really well from new, but this will continue to get better as the dacromet finish wears off the discs and as the pads wear to an exact fit to the disc surface. This is all normal and you will probably find yourself dialling back the gain a few times, over the first thousand miles or so.

I agree that there is no better way to spend a couple of thousand dollars on "safety" than to upgrade to disc brakes.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The disc brakes will work really well from new, but this will continue to get better as the dacromet finish wears off the discs and as the pads wear to an exact fit to the disc surface. This is all normal and you will probably find yourself dialling back the gain a few times, over the first thousand miles or so.

I agree that there is no better way to spend a couple of thousand dollars on "safety" than to upgrade to disc brakes.

Rob

Amen! Unless you have experienced the difference of disc vs drum brakes on an RV you won’t believe it. Just about everyone who installs disc brakes posts WOW, AMAZING or a similar reaction after first time you take it on the road.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Amen! Unless you have experienced the difference of disc vs drum brakes on an RV you won’t believe it. Just about everyone who installs disc brakes posts WOW, AMAZING or a similar reaction after first time you take it on the road.
    Now I am thinking about upgrading my old alumascape, and I just installed all new drum brakes. Even when drum brakes are new, they still suffer from brake fade.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference really is impressive. I'm surprised that someone hasn't done some before and after disk brake tests to quantify the difference.

Not the kind of thing I would expect the RV manufacturers (who already know this) to fund.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes you wonder if the RV manufacturers even have to prove that a given model has adequate brakes to be able to stop in a given distance. I can tell you that mine failed from the time I picked it up at the dealership. Gain set to 10 manual application of brakes had almost no effect!!!!! Service manager's response, the brakes need to brake in. So now the service manager must think I am really stupid that a trip from Indiana to Denver would not have been enough to seat the brakes.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not very hard on the brakes so it took about 3000 miles for my new Dexter drum brakes to break in completely. I had the controller set to 10 initially and slowly had to back it down to where it is now set at 6. It took a lot longer than I expected and prompted me to examine the operation and electrical system of the brakes as I thought there may be a problem. I just needed to be patient I guess.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 2001 Holiday Rambler Alumascape that fully loaded weighs 11,500 lbs the drum brakes, same size 12x2 were adequate. Not so for the Solitude though at 13,500 lightly loaded.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    I'm not very hard on the brakes so it took about 3000 miles for my new Dexter drum brakes to break in completely. I had the controller set to 10 initially and slowly had to back it down to where it is now set at 6. It took a lot longer than I expected and prompted me to examine the operation and electrical system of the brakes as I thought there may be a problem. I just needed to be patient I guess.
    It’s amazing that one would be expected to tow a trailer with poor performing brakes for 3000 mile before they became effective.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    On my 2001 Holiday Rambler Alumascape that fully loaded weighs 11,500 lbs the drum brakes, same size 12x2 were adequate. Not so for the Solitude though at 13,500 lightly loaded.
    That's interesting. Would you attribute that to hydraulic vs electro magnetic actuation?
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast