Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you believe the Tigers have traded Justin Verlander to the Astros? The pitching corp is a wreck now, and we get three more "prospects" only one is a pitcher and he's in double A. Oops, wrong forum, be right back.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The water heater guy said the most asked question he gets is whether you can run the water heater on both gas and electric at the same time; and the answer is "Yes You Can". The recovery rate is something like 6 gallons/hour on electric, 10/hour on gas, and 16/hour on both. When you get set up and have run water through your system ensuring the tank is full put it on both. When you know you have hot water turn off the gas and run it on electric only using the campgrounds electricity and not your propane. The thermostat is set at 130 degrees and is not adjustable. The anode rod should be checked annually and swapped out when there isn't much material left on the rod.
    With the rod removed you should flush the tank to get rid of any sediment that may have dropped to the bottom of the tank. Before you remove the rod for draining be sure the water temp has cooled and you turn off the water supply. Afterward it has drained run some fresh water through the tank. Reinstall the rod using teflon tape.
    Do not put bug screens on the outside of the water heater or any of the appliances for that matter. Any restricted air flow could harm the operation of the unit. If concerned about insects or wasps getting in there to make a nest lay a flea collar or moth balls in the bottom of the appliance. This goes for furnaces and refridgerators as well.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first golf cart heard zipping around was at 7:55 this morning. Have you gotten the notion yet that these techs are out there getting things done? So, one of my three service requests was to have the grease seals inspected. Lippert guys came out and found 1 of 4 had leaked. This surprised me because last year I have everything replaced when it was found I had a bent axle. The previous set had been fine while the growing number of you with reported issues was making news. Maybe something was different with the first orders for the original Grand Design 369RL buyers back in 2013? I don't know, anyhow this service request was acted on promptly, thoroughly and best of all NC.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's talk air conditioners: some basic maintenance is necessary. You can easily take the cover off, if you can easily get on the roof, and if you can easily use tools. Fortunately I can easily do all 3. You need to access the coils, rinse them off then spray them down with a spray cleaner. Let it set awhile, go to second AC and take the cover off it. Go back to 1st one and rinse off with a garden hose. Got it? Clean, set and rinse. Hint; if you're camping at a 30 amp site on a very warm day and you know you cannot use both A/C's, you can use one AC and the second one put on Fan Only. This will help circulate all the chilled air more efficiently. If I could draw here I would show you the "race track" design of the air ducts hidden in the ceiling and why this will work. But I can't, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Next up is the range oven. Nothing has changed much in the design of the basic model we all have. Keep the burners clean. Oh, and the oven has a plus/minus tolerance of 30 degrees. This is not adjustable, if you want to bake something at 300 degrees the oven may operate at anywhere from 270 to 330. This is acceptable to the RV manufacturers.

Your ceiling MaxxFan can be used in the Winter to circulate warm air down to the floor. Run the fan on low with the cover closed. It will force warm air off the ceiling and to floor.

The toilet seal needs attention more often than you think. There are several products that will act as a cleaner/lubricant, choose one and use it frequently. Maybe as often as the end of every camping trip. These will help rid of calcium buildup on the ball and lubricate the seal. Make sure the water is off and drain the ball. Then put some in the bottom, 1/4 cup or so. Rub it around on the ball and seal. Then run the pedal up and down many times and swiftly, really work it into the seal. Then add water to the bowl again.

Refridgerators will get their own post in a little while.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    The water heater guy said the most asked question he gets is whether you can run the water heater on both gas and electric at the same time; and the answer is "Yes You Can". The recovery rate is something like 6 gallons/hour on electric, 10/hour on gas, and 16/hour on both. When you get set up and have run water through your system ensuring the tank is full put it on both. When you know you have hot water turn off the gas and run it on electric only using the campgrounds electricity and not your propane. The thermostat is set at 130 degrees and is not adjustable. The anode rod should be checked annually and swapped out when there isn't much material left on the rod.
    With the rod removed you should flush the tank to get rid of any sediment that may have dropped to the bottom of the tank. Before you remove the rod for draining be sure the water temp has cooled and you turn off the water supply. Afterward it has drained run some fresh water through the tank. Reinstall the rod using teflon tape.
    Do not put bug screens on the outside of the water heater or any of the appliances for that matter. Any restricted air flow could harm the operation of the unit. If concerned about insects or wasps getting in there to make a nest lay a flea collar or moth balls in the bottom of the appliance. This goes for furnaces and refridgerators as well.
    Maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure the water heaters used (at least in the reflections) are an aluminum tanks and do NOT use/have anode rods. Also you shouldn't put an anode rods into a unit with an aluminum tank...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure the water heaters used (at least in the reflections) are an aluminum tanks and do NOT use/have anode rods. Also you shouldn't put an anode rods into a unit with an aluminum tank...

Jim
    Correct, at least on our '15 27RL. I believe the HWH is an Atwood which does not use the rods. Maybe GD switched over to Suburbans on later model years after Atwood was bought out by Dometic ? Suburbans use the rods.

By the way, I'll reiterate my appreciation for your reports from the field Tom !

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great advice being given hear along with good stories. I have a question:

If this rally has over 200 or 400 RV's (I have read both) located at a local county fairgrounds, what kind of hookups do you have or is everyone boon-docking? I am interested in trying to make it to next year's rally and was wonder what information is needed before arriving. Hookups? Cost? Limited number of RV's? Would really like to know what I need to know and plan on.

Thanks in advance,
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Some great advice being given hear along with good stories. I have a question:

If this rally has over 200 or 400 RV's (I have read both) located at a local county fairgrounds, what kind of hookups do you have or is everyone boon-docking? I am interested in trying to make it to next year's rally and was wonder what information is needed before arriving. Hookups? Cost? Limited number of RV's? Would really like to know what I need to know and plan on.

Thanks in advance,
    There are approx 215 units attending this year making it the largest Grand Design Rally to date. This is a rather large venue and almost everyone has a full hookup. There was some confusion in booking sites and a handful ended up having to move to a field with elec/water only. Grand Design paid for a honey-wagon to pump them out mid-week and again tomorrow. The dates are now set; Aug 28 -31st again here at the Elkhart County 4H Campground in Goshen, IN. Information regarding costs, activities, sign-up dates will be released early next year, with registration early in the Spring.
    Thanks for the early interest and hopefully you can make it. You will have a blast.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Correct, at least on our '15 27RL. I believe the HWH is an Atwood which does not use the rods. Maybe GD switched over to Suburbans on later model years after Atwood was bought out by Dometic ? Suburbans use the rods.

By the way, I'll reiterate my appreciation for your reports from the field Tom !
    Thanks for your input. I know nothing of aluminum tanks and I don't believe it was addressed. If anyone else has input please feel free to buzz in.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    Wasn't that fantastic? I heard we collected over $3,000 to be matched by Grand Design
    OK, this is what happened tonight at the closing dinner a little while ago.
    We collected $3,565 by the apron raffle and passing the hat. Don Clark rounded that up to $5,000 and then stated Grand Design would match that for a total donation of $10,000 on all our behalf.
    Then he surprised us by stating Winnebago would then match the $10K for a total donation toward Hurricane Harvey relief would be $20,000.00!
    Again it shows the generosity of Americans willing to help our own when the need is great.
    More than please keep all those affected in your prayers.

Next, there were on-going 50/50 raffles to assist Dog Town, a local animal rescue agency known to do much good work. These raffles generated $1,015 and a rep was on hand to accept. She graciously accepted and explained how the agency has used our donations.

New at the Rally this year was a donation table where you can place items for sale with the donations dedicated to Northern Indiana Cancer Kids Foundation (N.I.C.K.). Northwest Indiana Cancer Kids (N.I.C.K.) is a 501c3 charity that was founded by a pediatric cancer family who live right here in the area. A lot of good items were brought in $350 was raised and will be forwarded there. Items not sold were taken to a local Salvation Army center.

We all know that campers as a group can be amongst the most generous people around, and this confirms that.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast