User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire Extinguishers

When Howard (Howson) reminded us of Jim's (TucsonJim) presentation on Disaster Planning https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...nning-PDF-File I got to thinking about what I have done since watching Jim's presentation at the last Indiana Rally.

Our "Bug Out Bag" is better stocked and always with us when we are in the truck or in the trailer. This bag now includes extra dog and cat leashes and other things we need for our pets.

After watching Jim get out that window (sorry Jim . . . I have to smile every time I think of that ) I decided that we can't do that and would try to get to the door. This led to rethinking the fire extinguisher plan and keeping one under my pillow. Well, not exactly , but close . . . it is right under the bed platform on my side. The next point of defence is in the always unlocked and labelled propane locker on the curb side. The third one is inside the tailgate of the truck.

Similar to Jim & Howard (and probably most of us) disaster preparedness has always been part of our professional lives. It is good to be reminded of "exactly what is your plan?"

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2831.jpg   IMG_2826.jpg   IMG_2834.jpg   IMG_2829.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have large fire extinguishers on the wall in the bedroom, the living room, the kitchen. I have them (smaller ones) in the drawers in the kitchen (3), the bath (1), the bedroom (2) and in the overheads in the living room (2) and bedroom (2). In a small environment with limited escape routes, you just can't have too many. I pretty much am striving for a situation that wherever you are, you can somehow grab an extinguisher. Getting out of the "escape" windows is really kind of a joke for older folks (although you can bet we'd give it one heck of a try), so your only hope may be those extinguishers. Why scrimp?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great. There goes more $.
    But this I will gladly pay for. All the years camping I used one fire extinguisher one time for a friend who's truck caught fire while traveling.
    I have never thought about this , but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info I can not believe I have been so complacent.

We will be adding a few more before the next trip.

Brian

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Def agree, you can't have too many. We have one by each entrance door, one in our bedroom, an extra one in a kitchen cabinet, one in my truck that is easily accessible and one in the cargo area of my wife's Expedition.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    I have large fire extinguishers on the wall in the bedroom, the living room, the kitchen. I have them (smaller ones) in the drawers in the kitchen (3), the bath (1), the bedroom (2) and in the overheads in the living room (2) and bedroom (2). In a small environment with limited escape routes, you just can't have too many. I pretty much am striving for a situation that wherever you are, you can somehow grab an extinguisher. Getting out of the "escape" windows is really kind of a joke for older folks (although you can bet we'd give it one heck of a try), so your only hope may be those extinguishers. Why scrimp?
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like something else I’m going to need to buy! Well worth the expense and I’m embarrassed that I didn’t rthinknof it before reading this post. Thanks for the reminder.
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up a new 5 lb FE yesterday at Costco on sale ($10 off for now $25) for a few more days. Will keep at home and then to 303/truck as we travel/camp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180723_184206.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	14082

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The two year anniversary of the fire is fast approaching (8/29/16). And if you didn't open the link Rob provided, here is a gentle reminder:

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - recall those pictures all to well. Don't remember the black feet one before but that is a worthy addition. Just so glad that you Ginnie (and Spring I think ?) made it away from that safely !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Jim - recall those pictures all to well. Don't remember the black feet one before but that is a worthy addition. Just so glad that you Ginnie (and Spring I think ?) made it away from that safely !

Dan
    Dan - I think the "black feet" one brings up a good point. I was wearing shorts, sandals and a tee-shirt when the fire broke out. We were running away from the fire along the side of the interstate through thick grass, broken bottles, etc. When I returned to the burned out hulk, there was a lot of debris, including standing water with soot and ash in it. That is where I got the stained tootsies.

Before operating a truck and trailer on the highway, ya'll should give some thought to what would happen if you were all of a sudden thrust into a situation where there was no air conditioning and dangerous conditions such as accident or fire debris. Even though I still wear shorts and sandals, I really should consider more appropriate attire in case the unexpected occurs.

Jim

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    ...I really should consider more appropriate attire in case the unexpected occurs.
    If I wasn't so tired I'd come up with something clever that would be the RV equivalent of motorcycling's ATGATT (All the Gear, All the Time).
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast