User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin RV 780 vs RV 770

I have gone from a Travel Trailer to a 5'er (303rls) and with the higher height I'm looking for a GPS system that will limit routes to the height I enter. I've been using Google Maps for navigation and as you know it does not have this feature. I have been looking at Garmin RV GPS systems and see they have a 770 and a new 780. what is the difference besides the price? Has anybody had experience with the new RV 780? Earl
    2019 Reflection 303 rls
    Anderson Hitch

2018 Ford F250

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    I have gone from a Travel Trailer to a 5'er (303rls) and with the higher height I'm looking for a GPS system that will limit routes to the height I enter. I've been using Google Maps for navigation and as you know it does not have this feature. I have been looking at Garmin RV GPS systems and see they have a 770 and a new 780. what is the difference besides the price? Has anybody had experience with the new RV 780? Earl
    Your note impelled me to visit the Garmin site to find out more. The RV products page showed the title "RV 780/785". When I clicked on it for more details I got a "440 page not found" error. Presuming that they were maintaining the site I went back a couple of minutes later and this time the RV products page showed "RV 780 & Traffic". It still does half an hour later.

That's all I know, but it seems likely that they're preparing to release a 785 pretty soon. The 780 doesn't seem to have improved much over the 770 that we have. Seems to just have more entries in its database of RV sites that we hardly ever use because phone and tablet apps are so much more informative and easier to use. I'll wait to see what the 785 does.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used to really rely on my old Garmin GPS systems. But the 770 is almost worthless to me. It has sent me down more wrong routes than you can imagine. I've updated it frequently and it just can't seem to get the job done correctly.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin RV 780 vs RV 770

I have an old RV660, and they just had a map update last week. Just make sure you get one with lifetime maps. We to have been lead down odd ball roads, but when we get home, I usually send feed back to Garmin. Probably doesn’t make a difference, but I makes me feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mageorge View Post
    I have an old RV660, and they just had a map update last week. Just make sure you get one with lifetime maps. We to have been lead down odd ball roads, but when we get home, I usually send feed back to Garmin. Probably doesn’t make a difference, but I makes me feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My thought is to use the Garmin and Google Maps if for nothing else but to check against each other before departing.
    2019 Reflection 303 rls
    Anderson Hitch

2018 Ford F250

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Your note impelled me to visit the Garmin site to find out more. The RV products page showed the title "RV 780/785". When I clicked on it for more details I got a "440 page not found" error. Presuming that they were maintaining the site I went back a couple of minutes later and this time the RV products page showed "RV 780 & Traffic". It still does half an hour later.

That's all I know, but it seems likely that they're preparing to release a 785 pretty soon. The 780 doesn't seem to have improved much over the 770 that we have. Seems to just have more entries in its database of RV sites that we hardly ever use because phone and tablet apps are so much more informative and easier to use. I'll wait to see what the 785 does.
    I saw that 785 and haven't been able to find out anything about it either.
    2019 Reflection 303 rls
    Anderson Hitch

2018 Ford F250

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been running with a Garmin 760 for 5 years now. With every software & map update, I swear that the routing gets worse. If you divert from it's chosen route, it works really hard to get you back on that route, even if this takes you many extra miles and ignores shorter routes. It used to be able to adapt to the new route much more quickly. We have seen this travelling routes and roads that we know. We are to the point where we use the Garmin for map and speed information, but leave the navigation off and use a phone app. Hardly what we should be using a "GPS navigation system for". When it comes time for a new RV GPS, it won't likely be a Garmin.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    We have been running with a Garmin 760 for 5 years now. With every software & map update, I swear that the routing gets worse. If you divert from it's chosen route, it works really hard to get you back on that route, even if this takes you many extra miles and ignores shorter routes. It used to be able to adapt to the new route much more quickly. We have seen this travelling routes and roads that we know. We are to the point where we use the Garmin for map and speed information, but leave the navigation off and use a phone app. Hardly what we should be using a "GPS navigation system for". When it comes time for a new RV GPS, it won't likely be a Garmin.

Rob
    Thanks for the info Rob. Sounds like a Garmin isn't the way to go.
    2019 Reflection 303 rls
    Anderson Hitch

2018 Ford F250

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Garmin RV 760. It ocean to ocean, it's never led me down a deadend or a street that's to small for our Momentum. Entering my vehicle information I have the height set at 13'9" and I added 4" to width, 6" to length and padded the weight by 400 lbs. for safety margins.

Where I've found the down side is that when you click on RV Parks or Truck Stops, etc. it may show one a number of miles down the road but you'll pass several RV parks or truck stops (some times the same brand, ie. Loves, etc.) getting to the one that the gps shows as closest. I've found this to be the case, even right after I do the upgrades. And these RV parks and truck stops that you pass are not new.

I have the Garmin Zumo 665 on my Harley and I have a Garmin Zumo 660 in my truck (for when I unhook the RV) that are both much more comprenhensive. I only use the RV GPS when we're moving the RV.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    When it comes time for a new RV GPS, it won't likely be a Garmin. Rob
    @Ozarks, I too have had plenty of trouble with the Garmin RV GPS products. By advising about the impending 785 model I wasn't endorsing it, but I will look at it when it comes out to determine if it's improved. Like @Cate&Rob I'll be a skeptic about it. If interested, see below for the complaints I've had.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post219317

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post185660

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post185692
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast