User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Design Factory Tour

I’m going to be in Elkhart County, IN toward the end of July on business. Do I need to do anything special to get a factory tour?
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 07-23-2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Fixed Title Spelling
    Eric & Sandra
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyLifer View Post
    I’m going to be in Elkhart County, IN toward the end of July on business. Do I need to do anything special to get a factory tour?
    Eric & Sandra -call GDRV corporate @ 574 825 8000 and ask to speak with someone about the tours. Different lines are conducted on different days. Pre-registration is done over the phone and you will meet in the GDRV Corporate lobby for preparation. You will drive your vehicle (or ride with others) to the plant being toured. Tour takes an hour or so.

We did the Reflection a week ago last Monday @ 2PM and in our initial call also asked to take a look at the new building #9 for Solitude production (normally not done until Tuesdays) but in usual fashion, GDRV was accommodating.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x2 ^^^^

Call ahead and let them know what product line(s) you are interested in and dates. They will tell you the available schedule. Do it sooner rather than later for best selection on dates. They will tell you dates they have tours planned (none on Friday). I found Grand Design very accommodating. The tour was very informative.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What others have said above... just be aware that all you'll be seeing is the final assembly line (though the roof assemblies are also built there) after the workers have left for the day. The exterior panel lamination and cabinet construction are done in different plants. The chassis and slides-outs are built at a nearby Lippert plant and shipped to the GD assembly location. It's still interesting and offers some insight into what's behind panels and under the floors.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun time! Like others said above, call ahead of time.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any video footage on the GD factory and assembly line? Id love to see it.. The forest River company has footage of the build process..I was looking for the same from GD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfb4me View Post
    Is there any video footage on the GD factory and assembly line? Id love to see it.. The forest River company has footage of the build process..I was looking for the same from GD
    GDRV has been pretty clear at factory tours that no pictures of their manufacturing processes are allowed.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this sucks.. lol I could have made a decision sooner in regard to purchasing our GD. I would LOVE to know how my Imagine is built..

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    GDRV has been pretty clear at factory tours that no pictures of their manufacturing processes are allowed.

Rob
    This must have changed or varies by the guide. My parents just got a tour yesterday and sent me a bunch of pics. They asked and were told no problem take as many as you want.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    This must have changed or varies by the guide. My parents just got a tour yesterday and sent me a bunch of pics. They asked and were told no problem take as many as you want.
    I do hope that this is a change in GDRV policy. It would be great to have a library of production photos as reference material for our various technical discussions.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast