User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gooseneck vs. 5th Wheel Hitch

I’m looking at buying a Solitude 373FB and am considering a Goose Box hitch to replace the 5th wheel hitch. Anyone have any experience with the Goose Box? Issues?

I have a ‘17 F-350 FX-4 SRW and it came with the 5th wheel and gooseneck prep packages included. The ball for the gooseneck was also included. Was thinking that just having the ball in the bed, would allow me to place more stuff in there when not towing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll be happier with a fifth wheel hitch. I have the factory prep also and the base fits in the 4 puck holes for towing and is easily removed for non towing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F350 hitch.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	15248
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search function on the forum, you'll find dozens - if not more - of discussions on this topic. I'm not a fan of the GooseBox or any other design that puts increased torsional forces on the front of the RV frame. They're not designed for it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you use the search function on the forum, you'll find dozens - if not more - of discussions on this topic. I'm not a fan of the GooseBox or any other design that puts increased torsional forces on the front of the RV frame. They're not designed for it. Rob
    I've read that frame manufacturer Lippert has approved use of the Reese Goose Box without impact on frame warranty.

However @WileyS you need to be concerned about clearance between the hitch and the rails on your truck. The side rails of 2017 Super Duty 4X4 trucks are about 3" higher than has been typical in the past which introduces risk of expensive repairs in tight turns, especially on ground that isn't level.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Andersen Ultimate Hitch has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages of a conventional gooseneck ball. Comes in two flavors, one fits the pucks and one connects to the gooseball. 35 lbs and can be removed in five minutes by a child. What more can you ask for?
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WileyS View Post
    I’m looking at buying a Solitude 373FB and am considering a Goose Box hitch to replace the 5th wheel hitch. Anyone have any experience with the Goose Box? Issues?

I have a ‘17 F-350 FX-4 SRW and it came with the 5th wheel and gooseneck prep packages included. The ball for the gooseneck was also included. Was thinking that just having the ball in the bed, would allow me to place more stuff in there when not towing.
    I have towed with a traditional 5th wheel hitch, an Andersen, and the goose box. I have the goose box now and wouldn't go back to any of the others for any reason (short of needing a heavier than 20K hitch or having a short bed truck). It takes slightly more accuracy for hook up as you need front to back as well as side to side. Its the smoothest combo I used. Lift off the unit and you have an empty bed save the ball and the ball pulls in a minute and weighs a couple of pounds. I think when I did the math the total weight was about 20-30lbs heavier than an aluminium Andersen and the stock pin box but much lighter then a traditional hitch if you have payload concerns.

Its approved by lippert and Grand design. And while lippert and Reese have a connection I don't see Lippert approving something that could potentially cost them expensive warranty repairs just to help sell a few hitches. It just doesn't make sense.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    The Andersen Ultimate Hitch has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages of a conventional gooseneck ball. Comes in two flavors, one fits the pucks and one connects to the gooseball. 35 lbs and can be removed in five minutes by a child. What more can you ask for?
    I like the Andersen, would be my second choice. Both my Dad and Brother pull with them. (though to my knowledge they do not make a puck version only the ball and rail version, I could be wrong). They both use the ball mount version. A few minor issues they have had are the bed rails getting depressed over time and they have to constantly check the torque on the bolts, they seem to loosen. Minor issues for sure. If/when we step up to a heavier trailer that's where we'll go. Also Their customer service is top notch!
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I like the Andersen, would be my second choice. Both my Dad and Brother pull with them. (though to my knowledge they do not make a puck version only the ball and rail version, I could be wrong). They both use the ball mount version. A few minor issues they have had are the bed rails getting depressed over time and they have to constantly check the torque on the bolts, they seem to loosen. Minor issues for sure. If/when we step up to a heavier trailer that's where we'll go. Also Their customer service is top notch!
    Do you mean the bed rails (sides) or the bed floor? I had the Ford drop in bedliner in my last truck and there was no mark on it when the AUH was removed. I have a sprayin liner in this truck and can't see any marking on it, either.

As you say, though, I find that I need to re-torque the AUH before every trip.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Do you mean the bed rails (sides) or the bed floor? I had the Ford drop in bedliner in my last truck and there was no mark on it when the AUH was removed. I have a sprayin liner in this truck and can't see any marking on it, either.

As you say, though, I find that I need to re-torque the AUH before every trip.
    The bed floor. But now that I think about it it may have been the older steel version before they went with a wider base plate on the aluminum. My Brother ended up with his when he went to the aluminum. I'll have to ask.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast