User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dutch oven cooking

One of our favorite ways to prepare food when we camp is in dutch ovens, we own several sizes with the legs on them and have many recipes.
    Because of the current campfire rules I have bought a inexpensive square bbq to contain the coals, I put a 14 x 14 plate of 3/16th plate over the ash grate so the oven does not go through the grate and cook away.
    when finished you remove oven and set the lid of the bbq on the unit and all coals are contained.
    Always easy to find a solution to containment issues if you think about it.

Anyway, we thought we could start a thread that we can all share dutch oven recipes and pics on
    2019 375 RES Linen
    KI6KER General
    Home Base Phoenix

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not alone , I love my DO even though I don't use them as often as I used to.
    The recipe part, I use any recipe that's out there . Figuring the cook time usually based on about 350*
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not using mine as much as I want to. When there is a fire ban in the Arizona forests, charcoal is also banned.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a table with a 3/16 plate top on oil t when I owned a house. When we spent some time in Anza Borego park in Ca they had a ban on fires on the ground. They have to be in a container so they do not stain the ground. So I got an Aussie Cooker and added a plate in it.
    Other parks also ban charcoal during fire watch times and then even the cooker idea is out.
    My favorite recipe is doing a cowboy stew hanging my 14 inch from the tripod over a campfire. We do that at big get togethers and it is always a hit.
    Copious amounts of chopped stew meat, onions and pepper of your choice, season with a seasoned salt and cumin, add potatoes during last 45 minutes and some flour to thicken near the end. Serve with tortillas and Mexican beer, finish up with hot Dutch oven apple cobbler. Alyways a hit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “They have to be in a container so they do not stain the ground.”
    JiMissy,
    Dragging this a bit off topic here, but the “off the ground” rule is because the dried roots of plants, when heated enough, will catch fire and spread quickly, just under the surface of the ground. If you’ve ever seen it happen (rare, but not unheard of, in the damp northeast) it’s like something out of a sci-fi movie and instills utter panic because it spreads in all directions, so very fast!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    JiMissy,
    Dragging this a bit off topic here, but the “off the ground” rule is because the dried roots of plants, when heated enough, will catch fire and spread quickly, just under the surface of the ground. If you’ve ever seen it happen (rare, but not unheard of, in the damp northeast) it’s like something out of a sci-fi movie and instills utter panic because it spreads in all directions, so very fast!
    N
    Wow. I have never heard of that. I'm going to have to google it and see if there are any videos of this.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    JiMissy,
    N
    Funny, the ranger never mentioned the roots. Just staining the white sand. But that is good information to pass out. A National Forest ranger once told me a tree root can smolder for weeks and then suddenly pop out in a fire.
    2019 375 RES Linen
    KI6KER General
    Home Base Phoenix

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our favorite DO dinner is cornish game hens on a bed of rice. Spice it how you like but don't skimp on butter. We can get 2 or 3 hens in a 12 inch oven. We've also done a roast and a chicken.

Dutch oven breakfast: brown breakfast sausage in DO, remove most of grease, add dried hash brown potatoes and water. When this is done, scoop out some holes and break an egg into each hole. Sprinkle grated cheese on top. We've also done this with frozen hash browns, and even made from fresh potatoes.

Countless cobblers over the years with scouts. The bigger hit is chocolate cake with cherry pie filling. Add "extra chocolate" in the form of sprinkles or chips. And don't skimp on the butter..
    Bill and Kim
    2019 Imagine 2670 MK, Equalizer WDH
    2020 Ford F250, 7.3 l gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've cooked stew, chili , biscuits and my favorite is peach cobbler. 1 stick of butter ( cut stick into 5-6 pieces), 1 cake mix (white or yellow) and 24-32 ozs (depends on how many peaches you like), of canned peaches. Take 21 charcoal briquettes, light and while they are heating prepare the DO. Put two pats of butter in it and melt , coating as much of the bottom and sides as possible. Then put in peaches and scatter the remaining butter over them, then scatter the cake mix over the top. Arrange 12 charcoal under the DO and 9 on the top. Let cook for 45 minutes. All done, now enjoy!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    I've cooked stew, chili , biscuits and my favorite is peach cobbler. 1 stick of butter ( cut stick into 5-6 pieces), 1 cake mix (white or yellow) and 24-32 ozs (depends on how many peaches you like), of canned peaches. Take 21 charcoal briquettes, light and while they are heating prepare the DO. Put two pats of butter in it and melt , coating as much of the bottom and sides as possible. Then put in peaches and scatter the remaining butter over them, then scatter the cake mix over the top. Arrange 12 charcoal under the DO and 9 on the top. Let cook for 45 minutes. All done, now enjoy!
    The cobbler has my grandkids thinking I’m the greatest. I use pie filling rather than just canned fruit. A batch of that and homemade ice cream makes Pappaw a hero!

Kathy and I fix a half batch in our 2qt Dutch oven. May be better desserts you can fix, but it’s hard to beat with a cup of coffee sitting by the campfire. Works with cherry or apple as well. I’ve been wanting to try chocolate cake mix with cherry pie filling.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast