User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EMS 50 High Voltage Cutoff ???

I recently camped at FD Roosevelt State Park in Georgia and had my Progressive Industries EMS HW50C cutoff each night at around 10pm and then resume around 8am. The error was E5 and signifies high voltage. The reading indeed was high 133-134v on leg 2. Has anyone seen this and what are the potential issue with bypassing and running on the high voltage?
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done some research and found that "residential voltages have changed over the years, 110/220 115/230 120/240. The power companies have increased the voltage to supply power to more customers without upgrading the whole grid. Most RV AC units state 115v i.e.

The unit is a 115VAC, 60Hz appliance. The proper operating
    range is between 103 and 126.5 volts AC. The voltage
    reading should be taken at the unit power supply leads.
    One test should be performed when the unit is turned OFF
    and another with it running under load. If the voltage is not
    within the proper operating range, it must be corrected before
    operation of the unit.

It is understood that a 10% over/ under is safe and the EMS systems assume that but, they assume 120v - 108v low 132v high cutoff; but the AC units state 115v you have a 103.5v low and 126.5v high.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheeba View Post
    I have done some research...
    Just so you know--probably lots of us following this thread but there's no comments because none of us have an answer. If you talk with Progressive please post what they tell you.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my next step
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Coheeba, I'm one of the lurkers that @howson mentions. I've used the EMS HW50C for two winter seasons, maybe 40 different sites in the eastern half of the U.S., and not had your experience. Thanks for reporting whatever else you learn about this.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe because the air conditioners have motors, they're rated voltage is lower than other appliances/electronics.

Motors have nameplate ratings (115,208,230,460) that are lower than the nominal distribution voltage like 120,240,480.
    National Electric Manufacturers Association (NEMA) sets the standards for electric motors and their nameplate ratings in the USA.

https://www.flowcontrolnetwork.com/h...d-longer-life/
    Voltage & electric motor performance
    "The lower voltage rating on the motor considers the voltage drop that occurs because of the impedance of the circuit connecting the transformer and the driven equipment.
    The highs & lows of electric motor voltage
    Motor damage can occur when the utilization voltage is significantly different than the voltage for which a device is rated. Overvoltage is a condition that, per the listed standards, begins with a voltage 10 percent above the rated motor voltage."

https://www.ecmweb.com/design/highs-...-motor-voltage
    "High voltage on a motor tends to push the magnetic portion of the motor into saturation. This causes the motor to draw excessive current in an effort to magnetize the iron beyond the point where magnetizing is practical.

Motors will tolerate a certain change in voltage above the design voltage. However, extremes above the design voltage will cause the amperage to go up with a corresponding increase in heating and a shortening of motor life."
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene

What the heck was all of that, I am a dumb dumb with electricianese , could you put that in other terms , like you will be fine or not please.

Brian

By the way I always like your input even though I do not understand most of it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheeba View Post
    I recently camped at FD Roosevelt State Park in Georgia and had my Progressive Industries EMS HW50C cutoff each night at around 10pm and then resume around 8am. The error was E5 and signifies high voltage. The reading indeed was high 133-134v on leg 2. Has anyone seen this and what are the potential issue with bypassing and running on the high voltage?
    I am going there next month, should I be concern?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Gene

What the heck was all of that, I am a dumb dumb with electricianese , could you put that in other terms , like you will be fine or not please.

Brian

Think of it this way, Brian. Normal voltage is like a cool misting spray. Ahhh, feels good, right? Overvoltage is like getting hit with a bucket of ice water. Now you're drenched and thinking, "WHAT THE....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Both scenarios involve the same substance (water) but they are not the same result.

How's that for simplifying?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Gene

Brian

Sorry about that., it's the electrical geek coming out.

I wouldn't bypass the EMS in the under/over voltage conditions.
    The air conditioners are affected more because of their motors.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast